Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season 2010/2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RightHalfBack

Ray Allen all set to beat the 3 pointers made in NBA record thursday against the Lakers,

goin following the Celtics on their roadtrip from Feb 22nd so was hoping i would get to see it live, Some achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Are the highlight videos on NBA.com playing weirdly for anyone else, like a split screen or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Don't normally post here, but it has to be said... this run Cleveland is on is utterly remarkable. If they lose again, the Cavs will officially have the longest recorded losing streak of any professional sport. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RightHalfBack

Some kick in the teeth for their fans after the whole Lebron saga.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Jerry Sloan is resigning.:eek:

End of a somewhat overrated era.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 DRose

Still, its sad tho. i mean the guy was in tears during the press conference. Pretty sure D Will had something to do with it. But it was great to see Ray Ray beating the record. delighted for the guy, proper professional and deserves it without a doubt. shame they didnt get the win on the night :(

DRose wrote: »
    Still, its sad tho. i mean the guy was in tears during the press conference. Pretty sure D Will had something to do with it. But it was great to see Ray Ray beating the record. delighted for the guy, proper professional and deserves it without a doubt. shame they didnt get the win on the night :(

Yeah allegedly it was caused by a clash with Deron Williams/ There's no doubt that he definitely deserved better than this. He deserved a "goodbye" year in Utah.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

But it was great to see Ray Ray beating the record. delighted for the guy, proper professional and deserves it without a doubt. shame they didnt get the win on the night :(

I've mentioned elsewhere that I missed out on 7/8 years of watching the NBA so this came as a huge surprise to me when I saw that Allen was on course to break Reggie Miller's record. A record that looked absolutely untouchable. I remember him coming into the League with the Bucks and of course he was notable as the star of He Got Game.

He developed himself into the ultimate professional and what an achievement to break the three-point record. Outstanding.

One thing I'll always remember about Ray Allen is that he holds the greatest three point shooting season of all time. I'm not sure it will ever be topped. 2005-2006. He took 8.4 threes per game and made 41.2% of them (3.5 threes per game), and he shot at that ridiculous percentage while being the #1 scoring option, the #1 focus of defenders and often creating his own shots with nearly everything contested. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Shaping up to be a great season, it's so open. I think seven teams can win it - Mavs, Spurs, Lakers, Celtics, Magic, Bulls, Heat (some will need more luck than others). The Spurs and the Celtics are the front-runners at the moment, but we're headed for some titanic playoff series.

Watching today's games, the bad news for the Heat, while they came close, that was the Celtics far from their best, with only one fit centre and Pierce going an astonishing 0-10 from the field, and yet the Celtics still won.

The Lakers are one of those teams that will need a good amount of luck to win. I don't think it's looking very likely with those 2 passengers (Fisher and Artest) in their starting 5.

I didn't think it was possible at the start of the season, but the Bulls have a shot at getting the best record in the East. Noah is expected back next week and in recent years the Celtics have had a much worse 2nd half to the regular season (was wondering if it was happening again with them losing 3 of their last 5). The Bulls have a tough schedule coming up though. Even to get 2nd spot would be great, as it would guarantee home-court until the conference finals.

• Advertisement

padraig_f wrote: »
    Shaping up to be a great season, it's so open. I think seven teams can win it - Mavs, Spurs, Lakers, Celtics, Magic, Bulls, Heat (some will need more luck than others). The Spurs and the Celtics are the front-runners at the moment, but we're headed for some titanic playoff series.

Watching today's games, the bad news for the Heat, while they came close, that was the Celtics far from their best, with only one fit centre and Pierce going an astonishing 0-10 from the field, and yet the Celtics still won.

The Lakers are one of those teams that will need a good amount of luck to win. I don't think it's looking very likely with those 2 passengers (Fisher and Artest) in their starting 5.

I didn't think it was possible at the start of the season, but the Bulls have a shot at getting the best record in the East. Noah is expected back next week and in recent years the Celtics have had a much worse 2nd half to the regular season (was wondering if it was happening again with them losing 3 of their last 5). The Bulls have a tough schedule coming up though. Even to get 2nd spot would be great, as it would guarantee home-court until the conference finals.

I deffinatly think we can mount a serious challenge in the east when noah comes back but only if we make a trade for a 2 gaurd before the end of the window. it doesnt look likely that we'll get fernandez now though considering how he's been playing of late. :( he's doing what i always knew he was capable of now. he's the next ginobili

I deffinatly think we can mount a serious challenge in the east when noah comes back but only if we make a trade for a 2 gaurd before the end of the window. it doesnt look likely that we'll get fernandez now though considering how he's been playing of late. :( he's doing what i always knew he was capable of now. he's the next ginobili

Did you not see Bogans got into double figures against the Hornets for the first time since November? :)

I have mixed feelings about making a trade now, another scorer there would be a big help going into the playoffs but you could also get a better deal in the summer with guys like Jason Richardson unrestricted free agents & maybe teams looking to dump salary with the new CBA.

Sam Smith had a good article last week on the subject if you missed it: Bulls entering trading home stretch.

I trust the Bulls front-office, they were very quick to act last Summer once Lebron made his decision, going after Boozer, and even replacing Vinny del Negro who got them to two successive playoffs was an ambitious move, so they don't lack decisiveness. If they don't make a trade now, there's probably a good reason for it.

We'll know by next week anyway.

Bill Simmons podcast with David Stern

Not listened to it myself yet but should be good.

All-star weekend baybay!!! always good fun! :D anybody pumped? predictions? everybody is penciling griffin for the dunk contest obviously but if derozan can pull off a few of these. . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbLCNQdlON0

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

All-star weekend baybay!!! always good fun! :D anybody pumped? predictions? everybody is penciling griffin for the dunk contest obviously but if derozan can pull off a few of these. . .

Forget the All Star game - Cavs gave LA a whoopin'! Giddy up there, Cleveland! :D

Nah if Griffin can pull off a few of these then it'll be over pretty quickly:p

I'm going off on an tangent here but I don't think I've ever been impressed by a rookie in quite some time. I've seen the Clippers quite a bit this year and everything suggests him being a Top 3-5 player in the league for a long time, health willing. He doesn't even really know how to play yet. As soon as he figures out that he doesn't need to go 100 MPH all the time and learns to slow down in the post, he'll be unstoppable because of his footwork/athleticism. His biggest room for growth is on defense, and that'll just be a matter of his willingness to play on that end.

I'm just afraid he's gonna tear his knee up any day now. He makes a lot of high risk plays like the video above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I always say what a load of crap the All Stars is but always watch it anyway for the most part.

The Skills competition actually looks interesting, some serious quality in there.
    As for the dunk competition, I dont really see Griffin as having that flair for it, he is more of a powerful dunker but what do I know, he will probably steamroll it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

3 ball dunk from McGee was fairly impressive.
    Then Griffin hangs from the rim by the bend of his elbow with his arm in the hoop for 5 seconds.
    What a dunk from McGee again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I take back what I said, his first dunk was savage, the one with the car was grand but i was thinking to myself that most dunkers worth their salt would make that, its all about the show i suppose.

McGee was always going to be at a disadvantage for being so tall and also its bloody Blake Griffin that you are up against, an NBA love child.

I thought Blake was about to jump over the length of the car. That would have been sick. Instead it was just a normal dunk with a crazy presentation

• Advertisement

. . . .Well that was interesting. Even Derozan and ibaka killed it. best first round ive ever seen i think. Myself and a few friends watched it live last night (which we had to wait untill 3 am but worth it!) and we were going nuts. its was just an incredible spectacle, i still cant decide who won :confused:

DeRozan's under the basket reverse, and Ibaka's free throw line jam were seriously underated by the judges.
    Take away the car/choir/Kenny on the mic from Griffin's last dunk and it's pretty ordinary compared to the other dunks. His first 360 dunk was nice though.

I really didn't think the West would win the All-Star game. Very impressed by Kobe showing he still has it, the breakaway dunk when LeBron tried to block him was sweet.

Very entertaining all-star weekend. It was awesome seeing LeBron & Kobe take turns being dominant. Durant also had the quietest 34 points you'll ever see

You'd think the drama and stuff would die down a little after All Star weekend but Carmelo Anthony has gone to the Knicks in a massive trade!
    http://www.nba.com/2011/news/features/david_aldridge/02/22/carmelo.anthony.trade/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1

Lafortezza wrote: »
    You'd think the drama and stuff would die down a little after All Star weekend but Carmelo Anthony has gone to the Knicks in a massive trade!
    http://www.nba.com/2011/news/features/david_aldridge/02/22/carmelo.anthony.trade/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1

the knicks are so stupid. this isnt gonna make em a whole lot better after what they traded for him. Felton must feel so cheated and i really like gallinari. not forgetting the good year chandlers been having. the knicks didnt need another scorer, they needed defense. something 'melo is oblivious to.

My problem with Melo and Amare are that neither of them play defense, and there isn't much precedent for a SF/PF combo being the main players on a title team, and I've never thought that D'Antoni's style was conducive to winning titles. But they'll be exciting for sure.

Lafortezza wrote: »
    DeRozan's under the basket reverse, and Ibaka's free throw line jam were seriously underated by the judges.
    Maybe there was some chicanery there to get the local guy into the final with the gospel choir and car waiting in the wings! I still like Griffin winning though, I'd rather watch his dunks ahead of the others. For me he has the best combination of power, technique and athleticism. It's not just about degree of difficulty, you also have to have power and finesse.

Derozan's only problem might have been that he's too skinny to get the same power into his dunks, Ibaka might have jumped from farther back than Jordan when he did his free-throw line dunks, but I still prefer Jordan's, he put more style into it.

Javale McGee may have performed the most difficult ones but when you can barely execute the dunk, I don't think they ever look as good.

I liked the car one, the setup, wondering what he was going to do (and what would happen if it went wrong), and it just looked cool.

I saw an interview with Griffin afterwards about the car dunk, he said that Baron Davis threw the pass wrong, it was supposed to go behind him and Blake was going to windmill it in. But after it went in, with the elaborate setup of the dunk, he didn't want to redo it.

But very enjoyable contest, they were all good.

looks like the bulls are getting ready to make a move hopefully. they just traded james johnson to toronto for the heats first round pick. i dont think he was given a fair chance though

looks like the bulls are getting ready to make a move hopefully. they just traded james johnson to toronto for the heats first round pick. i dont think he was given a fair chance though

Yeah I liked him as well (as a project at least), has athleticism and talent, seems like Thibodeau couldn't live with some of the hare-brained things he'd do on the court, but I thought they could've been ironed out with more game time.

Does seem like they're setting up a move, they don't have any real need for that pick themselves. Gives them more cap room and a possibility of a trade without giving up Asik/Gibson, which would be great.

Edit: haha, Joakim quote:

"It [stinks]," Bulls center Joakim Noah said. "I consider J.J. a little brother. But he wasn't playing a lot, and I wish him nothing but the best. And I hope that he gets an opportunity to get out there on the court and show what kind of player he is."

• Advertisement

I didn't see this coming whatsoever

I guess there must have been more to the Sloan story then realised.I can't see why else the Jazz would make this deal. Also pretty big risk by NJ, they don't have much to surround him with and he might get comfy up there and just cross the street to the Knicks in 2 years.

Advertisement