Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season 2010/2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Sea Devils wrote: »
    You weren't the only one:

"Deron Williams told me it was not his choice. He is stunned. Declined to do interview until he figures out what it all means."
    - http://twitter.com/#!/Lockedonsports

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I didn't see this coming whatsoever

I guess there must have been more to the Sloan story then realised.I can't see why else the Jazz would make this deal. Also pretty big risk by NJ, they don't have much to surround him with and he might get comfy up there and just cross the street to the Knicks in 2 years.

Huh, really makes the Sloan thing quite confusing. Usually these things - in all sports - end up in a 'one or the other' outcome... rarely do both parties end up making their exit! Strange...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Melo, Deron, Amare, & Boozer have now all left for the Eastern Conference since the end of last season. Crazy stuff.

Either way this has been one of the more eventful trade deadlines that I can remember in some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

I was at the Knicks v. Nuggets game in NY last December. I know nothing about the other Denver players involved in the trade but even so it doesn't look like a good idea to me. Fairly mad to give away 3 of your starting 5 in one trade mid-season! Melo is awesome but I can't see that he can replace a well gelled team. I haven't been able to follow the recent games, but in December, Felton was on really on fire and Chandler and Gallinari were going well too and there seemed to be a good team spirit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Crazy trades being made lately, not sure who the winners or losers are, it is really a case of wait and see.
    I suppose the Knicks have made themselves into real contenders with their trades, kind of...
    Nets seem to be building for more trades come the summer.

Warriors get Troy Murphy back, but not for long apparently, case of wait and see in the summer for any real trades.
    Watched Celtics give the Warriors a good schooling but one player for the Warriors that looks like a great prospect is Udoh, hope he gets more and more minutes.

• Advertisement

Celtics trade Kendrick Perkins and Nate Robinson for Jeff Green and Krtistic

Absolutely bewildered by this. The Thunder clearly win this deal because Perkins/Ibaka is a filthy defensive 4/5 combo. One of the best positional defenders in the game vs. one of the best shot blockers. One of the few teams that will be able to match up with the Lakers or Spurs down low in a 7 game series.

As for the Celtics I don't understand this whatsoever. They seem to be putting A LOT of faith in Delonte West's sanity and the O'Neal's health.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Celtics trade Kendrick Perkins and Nate Robinson for Jeff Green and Krtistic

Absolutely bewildered by this. The Thunder clearly win this deal because Perkins/Ibaka is a filthy defensive 4/5 combo. One of the best positional defenders in the game vs. one of the best shot blockers. One of the few teams that will be able to match up with the Lakers or Spurs down low in a 7 game series.

As for the Celtics I don't understand this whatsoever. They seem to be putting A LOT of faith in Delonte West's sanity and the O'Neal's health.:eek:

I'm at a loss to understand this and speechless as for O'Neal yeah he is a legend but his glory years are behind him. I dunno ... maybe more information will be released about this matter.

Very strange! Thought Perkins was the perfect centre for them because they don't need a lot of scoring from that position with their starting 2, 3 & 4. Even when fit, Shaq is picking up fouls nearly as quickly as points these days, they could find themselves in real trouble against a big team.

Though Perkins is the real shock, also thought Robinson did a decent job off the bench for them, gave them something a bit different from Rondo. Who is backup PG now?

It's like a rebuilding move when I thought they were favourite to win the championship this year. Danny Ainge is going to be run out of town if they don't get back to the finals now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

What is Jermaine O'Neals status at the moment? Shaq+Jermaine+Davis+KG+Green (as a small PF) should be plenty in the paint and the Celtics really needed extra bodies at the 3.

Still though a ridiculously good trade for OKC if Perkins is recovered from his injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

NBA has gone mad with all these trades.

Great game on now with Miami at Chicago.

• Advertisement

Both O Neal's are injured at the moment so I'm guessing Garnett or Big Baby will move to Center?

I was reading that Ainge wanted to free up roster spots to sign buyout players with Rip Hamilton and Troy Murphy being mentioned. Not sure how either of them help though.

First I heard about the Celtics trade when I clicked into this link! Was very surprised by it. I know nothing of the two they've acquired, can any of you give us a bit of a rundown about them?

In the short time I've been watching this Celtics team, Perkins has struck me as a little over-rated. I gather he's coming back from injury but he still struck me a fairly limited centre. I thought Robinson gave them good energy and quickness off the bench so he might be a miss - but I'm assuming these two guys that are coming in will make up for that in some way?

HUGE win for the Bulls last night. They'd beaten the Heat earlier this season but LeBron wasn't playing that time, so this was the first time they played them healthy.

On the second night of a back-to-back, down 9 at half-time, Noah not fully fit and they come back to win! Great team effort to hold the Heat to 36 second-half points, but two stand out efforts I thought: Asik filling in for Noah who had his minutes limited. In 21 mins, he came up with 11 boards and his presence in the paint was crucial in denying James & Wade getting to the basket. The rate this guy is improving, he's going to be a huge asset to the team in the future. A number of teams were supposed to be interested in him as a piece in a Bulls trade for an SG, but I'm really glad the Bulls have held onto him.

The other standout performer was Luol Deng: 20 points, 10 rebounds, 5 assists, did an excellent defensive job on LeBron, coming up with a crucial steal & block in the 3rd quarter and leading the resulting breaks. With LeBron switched onto defending Rose in the 4th quarter, he hit the clutch scores with a jump-shot with 2 mins to go, and the 3-pointer with 30 seconds left that effectively finished the game off.

Having beat them twice, the Bulls now have the tie-break against the Heat. Chris Bosh was 1-18, which was the worst field-goal total in an NBA game since 1976 when some guy went 1-22. A sign of how well the Bulls defended that the Heat kept going to him for jump-shots late in the 4th quarter when he was having his historic off-night.

The Bulls have a tough run-in but this game has to give them belief they can beat anyone and make a run to secure the top seed in the East.

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    In the short time I've been watching this Celtics team, Perkins has struck me as a little over-rated. I gather he's coming back from injury but he still struck me a fairly limited centre. I thought Robinson gave them good energy and quickness off the bench so he might be a miss - but I'm assuming these two guys that are coming in will make up for that in some way?

Not a Celtics expert but he's mostly a defensive asset, defending big guys and getting rebounds. I think you see his benefit most when they play the Magic. He defends Dwight Howard very well one-on-one, this means the Celtics dont have to double-team Howard and can stay out on the 3-point shooters. The Celtics have matched up really well against the Magic (defeating them last year in the playoffs without home-court advantage) and Perkins was a major reason why.

Also a lot of people believe that had Perkins played game 7 of the finals last year, the Celtics would be defending champions now (Lakers destroyed them on the boards). He's missed most of this season with that injury and the Celtics are one of the worst rebounding teams in the league (ok that's partly because they shoot so well, but they're still relatively weak in that area).

Some people saying that the Celtics made the trade because they now see the Heat and the Spurs as their main rivals, and not the Magic & Lakers. But they're 3-0 against the Heat this season, so don't see what they really had to fix there.

Thanks for that, Padraig. Interesting stuff... In watching the Celtics, I've come to really love 'Baby' Davies. I love that type of player - the big-bodied inside man with a soft touch (I'm aware of how gay that sounds so p*ss off! :D ). Reminds me of Anthony Mason from back in the day. Although Mason was a bit tougher.

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    First I heard about the Celtics trade when I clicked into this link! Was very surprised by it. I know nothing of the two they've acquired, can any of you give us a bit of a rundown about them?

Just to expand on what Padraig said, Perkins is also one of the better screen setters in the game which obviously allows more looks for your perimeter players like Allen or Pierce. Green and Krstic also don't have the ability to clog the paint like Perkins can

I would have considered the Celtics to be the favorite to win the title before dealing Perkins, and now the waters are a lot murkier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Dizzya

Just to expand on what Padraig said, Perkins is also one of the better screen setters in the game which obviously allows more looks for your perimeter players like Allen or Pierce. Green and Krstic also don't have the ability to clog the paint like Perkins can

I would have considered the Celtics to be the favorite to win the title before dealing Perkins, and now the waters are a lot murkier.

I really don't think the Celtics had that great a chance at winning the NBA Championship this year. I mean, all sure for the Play-offs, but I really do not think that Kendrick Perkins will have changed their chances at the Play-offs.

Anyways, Derrick Rose for MVP! Plus, Bulls for the NBA Championship!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Flancrest

Can't really see what the Celtics gain from this trade apart from getting something in return for Perkins before his contract expires. Don't think they could afford to resign him with the "Big 3" still in town. Jeff Green has bucket loads of potential to be a high level(not superstar) player for years to come. As for Kristic I don't think he'll fit in Doc Rivers system too well. Anytime I watch him he seems far to happy to stay out of the post and shoot 10 - 15 footers. All in all I think the trade slightly lessens the Celtics chances of winning a championship. But as a Laker fan I can't say I'm too disappointed:D

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Perkins trade is off the wall in terms of not seeing that one coming. It's a no lose for OKC and potentially a big loss for the C's as their time is now and expiring daily. I can see Ainge's logic in trading to free roster space for 2012 (esp. when you consider they got the Clippers protected lottery pick) but all season all we've heard from Boston is that if healthy they feel they'll take anyone in 7 in playoff, half-court basketball - a theory I'd have agreed with up to this point. But taking Perkins out of the rotation diminishes that in many ways as he's one of those guys who's more than just his numerical and stat output. He epitomises the team nature of the Boston game; selflessly doing the down and dirty work so the stars can concetrate on doing what they do. Plus the biggest thing about Perkins is his bulk and size, and they haven't replaced either. They'll still be there or thereabouts, but now they're relying on everyone to stay healthy - and that's not a good position to be in. Ainge is trying to have a shot this year and make some play for the future but I think most Boston fans would prefer he concetrated on this year. If Perkins walks in the summer, he walks.

In other news, anyone see RuPaul's*, sorry, Chris Bosh's flop the other night?

*Shaq called Bosh 'The RuPaul of NBA Big Men' - one of his funnier comments.

^^ Thats more or less what I was trying to say but you articulated it better then I could have.:)

• Advertisement

Perkins trade is off the wall in terms of not seeing that one coming. It's a no lose for OKC and potentially a big loss for the C's as their time is now and expiring daily. I can see Ainge's logic in trading to free roster space for 2012 (esp. when you consider they got the Clippers protected lottery pick) but all season all we've heard from Boston is that if healthy they feel they'll take anyone in 7 in playoff, half-court basketball - a theory I'd have agreed with up to this point. But taking Perkins out of the rotation diminishes that in many ways as he's one of those guys who's more than just his numerical and stat output. He epitomises the team nature of the Boston game; selflessly doing the down and dirty work so the stars can concetrate on doing what they do. Plus the biggest thing about Perkins is his bulk and size, and they haven't replaced either. They'll still be there or thereabouts, but now they're relying on everyone to stay healthy - and that's not a good position to be in. Ainge is trying to have a shot this year and make some play for the future but I think most Boston fans would prefer he concetrated on this year. If Perkins walks in the summer, he walks.

In other news, anyone see RuPaul's*, sorry, Chris Bosh's flop the other night?

*Shaq called Bosh 'The RuPaul of NBA Big Men' - one of his funnier comments.

Everyone flops against the Bulls.

Question time: What's everyone's opinion on Gilbert Arenas?

Dizzya wrote: »

He's much more of a "name" now than he is a good player. He used to have one of the Top 3 first steps in the league, and now he's basically just a jump shooter. Pretty so-so defender.

Though as a Warriors fan I must say that I do miss moments like these.

Dizzya wrote: »

He's been a big disappointment since he went to the Magic, I thought he'd do better, guess he never came back 100% from his injuries.

I enjoyed this tribute to him from a Wizards fan when he left earlier in the year: Gilbert Arenas And The Wizards: A Heartbreaking Work Of Daggering Genius

Incredible

BULLS! BULLS! BULLS! BULLS! Roasted the Bucks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Anyone else think that the Pacers would be a pretty decent team if they had got OJ Mayo at the deadline ? Sure their not the most flashy team but they are tough , great frontcourt , i really dunno how Tyler Hansbrough doesn`t start , hes put in some great games this year . If they had better guards they could really do something .Its a pity that their more then likely gonna be matched up against Boston or Miami in the playoffs though .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 DRose

Great to have Jo back! Beast on the boards as always!! :D

DRose wrote: »
    Great to have Jo back! Beast on the boards as always!! :D

Assuming you guys make it that far I can't wait to see you in the 2nd Round against either Boston or Miami. Should be an epic series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 DRose

Yeah it will be hard to live up to the epicness that was the series against boston two years ago even if we did lose in game 7. it was still a great series. i really think we can challenge to at least make the conference finals this year providing we stay healthy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Mike Bibby is bought out by Wizards , sources say he is now headed to the heat . Very nice grab by the Heat i have to say :)

• Advertisement

Mike Bibby is bought out by Wizards , sources say he is now headed to the heat . Very nice grab by the Heat i have to say :)

He can't do anything aside from shoot at this point of his career, but at least he gave up his entire $6.2M salary he was earning this season just to play for a contender.

I guess that huge contract the Kings gave him really paid off after all :pac:

Advertisement