Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build Ideas

Options
  • 23-10-2010 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Just looking for a bit of feedback from all the fello sparkys out there. I have just got planning for a new build which will hopefully be starting next year. Now been a sparks myself I know what im going to be putting in the house but just looking for some other ideas off you guys that maybe you's have seen put into houses that yous have wired. Not looking for smart home kind of stuff but any other ideas would be great, Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

there's been a load of similar questions-if you do a search

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I ran a couple of cat 5`s from a pc beside couch to behind the tv and fitted VGA sockets, handy for pc onto tv. Was not new build but would be one idea.

As said there was a few of this type of questions and there is almost endless options.

what's needed for hdmi?

2 isn't it

if they were close you'd use a lead anyhow

M cebee wrote: »
    what's needed for hdmi?

2 isn't it

if they were close you'd use a lead anyhow

I have not looked at the hdmi setup at all yet, its something i will be looking at alright, 19 cores possibly needed depending on whats sent down the cable.

I just ran 2 cat 5`s, 8 core for the video and 3 on the other for audio, although 6 cores only needed for the video as 3 ground connections are common but i wired seperate. I originally just made a lead but eventually put in behind skirtings.

afaik the distance is fairly limited with vga anyhow-the picture degrades

depends if quality is an issue i suppose

• Advertisement

Yes they say up to about 50 feet is grand, screening of the individual video RGB cores is better too which is done in proper VGA cables but i did`t bother myself, just ordinary cat 5 worked perfect. About 30 feet of a run i have.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭tipperary

Hi there

when doing our house we ran cat5 to all rooms, with all cat5 and tv leads going to a homemade patch panel in the utility room, hidden in a cupboard.

Switch on wall beside tv to control sockets for tv, dvd etc.

Couple of dimmer switches on wall behind couch to control lighting.

Couple of external sockets.

that should be the first thing on the list alright

'cat5/6 home runs' - separated from the mains cabling

cost is minimal

prob a pair of wires for most points

tipperary wrote: »
    Hi there

when doing our house we ran cat5 to all rooms, with all cat5 and tv leads going to a homemade patch panel in the utility room, hidden in a cupboard.

Switch on wall beside tv to control sockets for tv, dvd etc.

Couple of dimmer switches on wall behind couch to control lighting.

Couple of external sockets.

Yea 2 of us wired a house in donegal a couple of years ago and ran cat5`s and co axials from all tv`s to a patch in a big utility room alright.

Might be an idea running cat 5`s from all light switch points to a central point also, all depends on how much control is wanted on lighting etc.

During a new build is the time to decide anyway, as mceebe says, it will cost little extra at this stage to run cabling for the above, and sound systems etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

if you are having any extra sky boxes in bedrooms etc plan to run two sat cables to these locations to feed the box from the lnb/dish location, buy good spec cables too!

A lot of new tv's accept a direct network connection for interwebs browsing and media playback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

In my opinion the main extra to put in would be cat5, and of course speaker cable, satellite where needed. HDMI between TV areas might be a plan too. Some other nice things people go far are lights in the soffits of the house and lights in the stairs.

I would be objective too though, running reams and reams of cable you are never going to use is a waste too. I would run cat 5 to anywhere I thought i would have a computer, TV or a phone, probably maxing out at 2-3 cables per room.

Future proofing is impossible too, if I was wiring my house to be future proof 15 years ago it would be full of coaxial cable. The closest you can get is to lay some rope so you can pull the cable afterwards, but I wouldnt imagine that would be easy if your pulling it through holes in the joists.

Advertisement