Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sub 60 10 Miler

• 23-10-2010 1:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

As it says thats the aim for 2011 along with a few others that will be revealed in time.
    Since Berlin I have been tipping over. Longest I ran was an easy 12 and a couple of 10 milers. Quiet nervous about pacing 3.15 tbh. Its 26.2 after all.
    Plan is to do a good bit upper body work until xmas.
    I have 4 chances of sub 60 nxt year, mallow dungarvan ballycotton and the adidas series one. I would like to break it in everyone i run.
    Today an easy 6k at 8 min mile pace. Last run before monday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Best of luck with this goal, i'm doing 3 of those races myself. I've found that Mallow is the fastest of those courses with its big net downhill. Will follow this log with interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Best of luck with this goal, i'm doing 3 of those races myself. I've found that Mallow is the fastest of those courses with its big net downhill. Will follow this log with interest.

Personally i think dungarvan is a better 10 miler with better numbers and an extra 3 weeks to lose the xmas flab. I will know after i run both of them i suppose.
    Would love to run sub 2.48.10 nxt year too in a marathon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Best of luck with the pacing Monday VR. All the best with the new log and training. It will be interesting to read im sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

best of luck VR on monday - sub60 will be no bother to you in that timeframe. What do you think you could run it at now?

Monday
    Paced the 3.15 in dublin. Quiet nervous to be honest which is probaly a good thing. Was handy enough if 26.2 miles can be. Came in 3.14.24 so room for improvement.;);)
    Wednesday
    Easy 10km. Legs a little tired after monday but no niggles.
    Thursday
    Easy 10k with a spinning session
    Sat
    Easy 7 miles with 15 minutes cycle
    Sunday Easy 14 miles with Asimonov. Probaly a bit early after dublin but felt I could have ran aqnother marathon today.
    Monday
    5 miles easy with 30 min spinning class
    Tuesday
    7 miles easy, weights and 25 min easy spinning
    Wednesday
    10 miles @ 5.50am
    8" arm bike and 30 min spin class at lunch. Wrecked after it. Relax for the evening.
    Plan for november is 60 miles a week mostly easy. Get the weight down a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

I will definitely run with you in Dungarvan,and i might even make Mallow.....hopefully....never mind pacing the half....have a cut at sub 80 with me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Would love to run sub 2.48.10 nxt year too in a marathon
    Where did you get that target time? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Same place I got mine but I reckon it'll take me a couple of more races to get there...

Good luck with the log & the targets, you racing any halves? I have a soft PB that I need to break and I wouldn't mind chasing someone to help me do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Ha ha I was just wondering that myself. Makes sense now. May have to be adjusted downwards if KC goes faster before next September?

Same place I got mine but I reckon it'll take me a couple of more races to get there...

Good luck with the log & the targets, you racing any halves? I have a soft PB that I need to break and I wouldn't mind chasing someone to help me do it

come down to the half in december and we can chase each other out the tramore road 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

all the best with the sub-60 training VR, will be following this one closely as its one of my targets for next year too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Sosa wrote: »
    come down to the half in december and we can chase each other out the tramore road 1

I need to check the dates on that actually, we're away over Xmas but it would be a good one to race I reckon...

I need to check the dates on that actually, we're away over Xmas but it would be a good one to race I reckon...

Sat December 11th 11am

Its a very fair route...i ran it last saturday morning and put the link up for people to have a look at the elevation...its over in A/R/T on the half forum

www.waterfordac.com for info

Best of luck at the weekend.
    I aint in great shape sosa. The pacing of the half will give me an easy month of november. Body is tired from a tough couple of years.
    Up over half a stone since berlin so need to shift that and more before mallow. The race ~I reckon i will do is the 4 miler stephens day in clonmel. I have a soft pb (23 min flat that needs to be beaten)

Today a slow 14k @ 4.47 a km. Went out at 6am and it was quiet mild. No rain so happy days. Great ot get it out of the way for the day.

Best of luck at the weekend.
    I aint in great shape sosa. The pacing of the half will give me an easy month of november. Body is tired from a tough couple of years.
    Up over half a stone since berlin so need to shift that and more before mallow. The race ~I reckon i will do is the 4 miler stephens day in clonmel. I have a soft pb (23 min flat that needs to be beaten)

Today a slow 14k @ 4.47 a km. Went out at 6am and it was quiet mild. No rain so happy days. Great ot get it out of the way for the day.

No bother VR,i am only about 30/70 for Mallow but will be at Dungavan

Turn up in mallow sosa. I need a lad to beat;);)
    Today was a leisurely 10 miles at 7.25 pace. 10 minutes on hte arm bicycle. Had to stop for 10 euro domino special for hte family. Scoffed 2 sclices on the way home. Nearly crashed the fcuking car taking it out of the box. Never closed the b ox properly so got a bollocking when i got home with cold pizza.

Turn up in mallow sosa. I need a lad to beat;);)

I'll be there if at all possible VR,but wont know until nearer the time.
    If memory serves me correctly,you have not beaten me in any race we were in together ;).....
    you should have plenty of motivation stored up.... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Sosa wrote: »
    I'll be there if at all possible VR,but wont know until nearer the time.
    If memory serves me correctly,you have not beaten me in any race we were in together ;).....
    you should have plenty of motivation stored up.... :D

Fightin' talk...........I like it lads. You'll nail sub 60 this year VR, absolutley no doubt about it. Id go daniels 5-15k program if I were you.

Trying hard to get a grip on the diet. Doing ok without breaking any records. Last 3 weeks was on average 60 miles a week mostly easy. Came 4th in a county novice xcountry but when smoking it aint easy.
    Think I have smoked my last cigarette. I picked it up last week to start the intensity. Hadnt much done intensity wise since berlin.

Wednesday I ran 10 miles which included 3.5 miles in 21 min(on a threadmill)
    Thursday 11 x 400m at 78 seconds. Took longer recovery than I should have as I had company.
    Friday Easy 10k.............
    Sat Had planned a long one but was snowing icy etc so I didnt get it down outside.
    Ran 29km on hte threadie which included 5k easy 5k(18.45) 1k easy 5k(18.45) 1k easy 5k(18.45) 5k easy and 2k(7.30)......The third set of 5ks was tough as I felt wednesday and thursday in my legs.

Sun
    Ran 8 miles in hte park at a very leasurely pace with a few other runners. I was by far the slowest of the group.

Monday
    I had planned 3 x 2 miles on the track with 4 others but it wasnt ot be. I ended up going to the threadmill AGAIN and did 2 mile warm up 5k hard 5 min easy 5k hard and then slow jog to finish at 10miles. Average 6.25 a mile and 151 HR. Maxed at 169 for last minute of 2nd 5k.
    Easy run if I get one tomorrow. Depends on the weather.
    Glad I took an easy 2 months. Got my mojo back and gave my body a break. As I was doing 60 a week I am nearly at the amount I want ot be running when I start marathon training nxt month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Trying hard to get a grip on the diet. Doing ok without breaking any records. Last 3 weeks was on average 60 miles a week mostly easy. Came 4th in a county novice xcountry but when smoking it aint easy.
    Think I have smoked my last cigarette. I picked it up last week to start the intensity. Hadnt much done intensity wise since berlin.

Wednesday I ran 10 miles which included 3.5 miles in 21 min(on a threadmill)
    Thursday 11 x 400m at 78 seconds. Took longer recovery than I should have as I had company.
    Friday Easy 10k.............
    Sat Had planned a long one but was snowing icy etc so I didnt get it down outside.
    Ran 29km on hte threadie which included 5k easy 5k(18.45) 1k easy 5k(18.45) 1k easy 5k(18.45) 5k easy and 2k(7.30)......The third set of 5ks was tough as I felt wednesday and thursday in my legs.

Sun
    Ran 8 miles in hte park at a very leasurely pace with a few other runners. I was by far the slowest of the group.

Monday
    I had planned 3 x 2 miles on the track with 4 others but it wasnt ot be. I ended up going to the threadmill AGAIN and did 2 mile warm up 5k hard 5 min easy 5k hard and then slow jog to finish at 10miles. Average 6.25 a mile and 151 HR. Maxed at 169 for last minute of 2nd 5k.
    Easy run if I get one tomorrow. Depends on the weather.
    Glad I took an easy 2 months. Got my mojo back and gave my body a break. As I was doing 60 a week I am nearly at the amount I want ot be running when I start marathon training nxt month.

good session there VR, even more so as they were done indoors! good mix of sessions though with good mileage also....

did a run today on the tredmill myslef, actually found 8:00m/m pace harder/faster than if i was on the road, how do you find it?

• Advertisement

Very sick for the last 8 days. No run at all and still no better. Plan is to go to mallow and jog around if ok.
    Sickness has finally stopped me smoking................And this time its for good. No plan to go back on them after every marathon i do.
    Took an easy few weeks in december.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Snap. Lousy chest infection for the last two weeks. Something similar?
    Are you doing Ballycotton in March?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Village Runner will you ever get that poxy smoking habit sorted and clean up the diet, a fresh star for the new year. You have have loads off potential to be a good runner, you do the hard training well, but your crap at the easy sh1t :)

heffsarmy wrote: »
    Village Runner will you ever get that poxy smoking habit sorted and clean up the diet, a fresh star for the new year. You have have loads off potential to be a good runner, you do the hard training well, but your crap at the easy sh1t :)

Heff I agree. The penny finally dropped. Have a good base so two weeks of no running will be ok if thats what I have to do. I can treat is as a break. Targets for jan will be reviewed if i aint in that shape. But I am looking forward to getting back running again. Batteries will be well recharged.

Krusty, Yes doing Ballycotton again but number 3 arrives late march so will have to see what happens. I am going down for a tshirt this yr and I am going to be at the start line this year saying I havent a stone to lose. Diet is finally going to be ok. Just cut out the trigger foods. Staying wheat free can be boring and expensive as you know but if i dont I may as well not be training.
    I remember of period of 2 months last year during berlin training I was sick 40 days(from day before) so its my main goal for 2011 to stay wheat free and off the fags......The gels I use dont suit me so I may try others and see the effect.
    Even the day before DCM I thought those oat bars might have feiced me up. Jan and feb is trial and error. I love a bar on the marathon run at 8 miles but the power bar mightnt suit. Stomach was dodgy at 23k in berlin so it was only water from there. More gels might have helped I dont know.

Doctor tomorrow so I will find out.

Good to see the old reliables telling me what I need to hear straight away.

Advertisement