Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What broadband speed do I need?

• 23-10-2010 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭

I just use the internet to use YouTube, RTE Player and Channel 4 on demand. What broadband speed do i need? and who is the best provider??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

it look like you are a medium user for the internet, if you are going for 3G, pretty much they all the same but you need to check the area around, which one provide a better coverage. try check around with friends if they have any 3G modem and try yourself at home, my guess might be with three :)

The speed you looking for is around 3mb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭weisses

It all depends on where you live ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

NR04 wrote: »
    I just use the internet to use YouTube, RTE Player and Channel 4 on demand. What broadband speed do i need? and who is the best provider??

I'd strongly not recommend any 3G provider (mobile midband). You need some fixed broadband provider like UPC (or dare I say it) eircom DSL or some fixed wireless provider depends on what is available in your area.

You'd get away with 3-5Mbs no problem. So that would be the basic package from UPC or a medium package from the DSL providers but that depends on exactly how much you watch as you may go over the imposed download caps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

depends on what you want also.
    1Mb/s is ok for youtube which seems to be around 70kb/s i guess..
    if you want hd youtube which is what its migrating towards then you need to go higher which is probably where the 3Mb broadband comes in.

also there are lots of limits now. eircom have whittled their 1Mb package back to 10gb a month which is pitiful.
    im personally switching from them to digiweb for the bigger limits and waiting until upc can cover the entire country or some other decent provider come along :(
    i called magnet, upc, digiweb and eircom for the midwest and only digiweb and eircom offer service through phone line and digiweb are cheaper.
    if you want mobile broadband there can be a bit of latency (basically you have to send a signal to a satellite and it relays back down and there is up to a 1 second time for this to be done.
    i dont know if it impacts live streams, maybe not.. check with friends and see what they have and what is cheap.
    some of the mobile ones are pretty decent and charge based on usage which can be handy if its only occasional usage

Advertisement