Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dreambox 500hd Help Please

• 23-10-2010 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Can some1 please help me, Just bought a dreambox 500hd (ex display) but havent a clue how to work it at all? Got the dish moved to 28 but dont know how and do not know how to get back.. Used to have a tchnomate but when codes went down for good decided to opt for a dreambox! I have gone through website after website but cannot understand them (even the ones in english)
    If some could explain in basic terms how to get mybox working this would be brilliant please!!! :confused::(:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Right for once I can help someone out :pac:

right kdoher

I presume you flashed the dreambox and have a cam on it ?

Download the manual here

http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/en/downloads

Are you using USALS or setup without positioner?
    This is important to know because it influences how you setup your dreambox in the positioner setup menu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

kdoher wrote: »
    Can some1 please help me, Just bought a dreambox 500hd (ex display) but havent a clue how to work it at all? Got the dish moved to 28 but dont know how and do not know how to get back.. Used to have a tchnomate but when codes went down for good decided to opt for a dreambox! I have gone through website after website but cannot understand them (even the ones in english)
    If some could explain in basic terms how to get mybox working this would be brilliant please!!! :confused::(:confused:
    Your facing a bit of a learning curve but well worth it in the end,..everything you'll ever need to know is here & here

• Registered Users Posts: 41 kdoher

Please do not think i am stupid but i keep reading about flashin it and do not have a clue what this means tride the manual but i just not picking it up the dish currently on 28.2E but i cannot get the motor to seem to move it was so easy on technomate :eek:

Also do know what the USUALS is seen something about it in the menu somewhere but did not know what it meant either
    I an clueless

Headshot wrote: »
    Right for once I can help someone out :pac:

right kdoher

I presume you flashed the dreambox and have a cam on it ?

Download the manual here

http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/en/downloads

Are you using USALS or setup without positioner?
    This is important to know because it influences how you setup your dreambox in the positioner setup menu

lol

I was once like you kdoher, I didnt have a clue of these dreambox things but I kept reading and reading satellite forums and I finally have some idea of it

Flashin a dreambox puts an image on it which helps you get subscriptions cards going because some come with a ccam which you need if you want to watch a sub you bought

heres one way to flash you dreambox
    http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/en/dm500-hd-flashing-firmware-browser

download an image first thou, there is lots of images to chose from, my personal favourite is Gemini

Im not sure of where to download it from because its along time since iv installed it but someone else my have a better image than the gemini

Right we'll see can we get the motor going with your dreambox first

go into your main menu and then go to setup, then service searching, then tuner configuration, now you see a screen saying choose tuner, click into that and where is says configuration Mode change that to advance.

now pick what satellite you want for example Ill pick 28.2e
    LNB........LNB!
    priority.....Auto
    LOF..........universal LNB
    Voltage mode..........polarization
    increased voltage.....no
    Tone mode.............band
    DisEqC mode........1.2 ( im presuming your motor can do 1.2) ( it should tbh)
    tone burst..........none
    committed DiSEqC command.....none
    fast Disqc.......no
    sequence repeater.........no
    command order........committed, toneburst
    uncommitted diseqc command........none
    diseqc repeats........none

now ignore longitude and latitude for the time being (that's to do with usals

now go to "use usals for this sat"...........NO
    stored positiion....................001

now exit that and go to positioner setup and I think you could try the rest your self

btw is your dreambox connected to the internet?

if not, you need to connect it to the internet first by Ethernet cable but dont be in a rush to to get that going yet, first thing first is to get the motor going so you watch the free channels for the time being

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭human 19

USALS : Software on the satellite receiver (or external positioner) calculates the position of all available satellites from an initial location (input by the user), which is the latitude and longitude relative to Earth.

Calculated positions can differ ±0.1 degrees from the offset. This is adjusted automatically and does not require previous technical knowledge.

Compared to DiSEqC 1.2, it is not necessary to manually search and store every known satellite position. Pointing to a known satellite position (for example 19.2ºE) is enough; this position will act as the central point, and the USALS system will then calculate visible satellites position within the offset.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USALS

Flashing: putting a new "image" on your receiver. Correct me if I am wrong in any points below (fairly new to this and havent flashed my box yet). As I am a bloke, the previous sentence has no sexual connotations :).

An "image" in this case is a complete set of firmware which tells your receiver how to operate. I assume the term comes from Linux operating systems being downloaded from the net and then burnt to a DVD as an .iso "image" which can then be run on a computer.

Linux receivers can use open source software which means others can take this software and change it. I dont know anything about dreambox but it seems a few images are available:

http://www.satpimps.com/showthread.php?t=140904

I dont know if you need to connect dreambox to the internet to flash it with a new image, or whether you can simply download an image to a USB stick and flash it from that. in any case , here is one way to flash a new image using the internet:

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f39/how-flash-dm500hd-158367/

Before doing that you may want to check some other forums to see if your problem can be solved with the factory image.

now exit that and go to positioner setup and I think you could try the rest your self

Hi i went through all of this when i was exiting it it said exit without saving? But there was no where to save it?!!?

Then when i went to positioner setup it said no tuner configuration?

btw is your dreambox connected to the internet?

Yeah have it connected and made sure i had 2 different ip addresses etc!

Human 19, i think the box might be flashed, when i switch th box on there is a picture of a galaxy and enigma 2 on the screen would this mean that it is already, as i say the box is ex display and when i bought it it said it had been set up in his shop already??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭human 19

well lets be pedantic and say "flashing" means overwriting the factory image with one of your choosing. I assume the shop would not have bothered overwriting the original factory image,but they may have done some config which doesnt suit uou

It it said "no tuner configuration", I wonder if your tuners are not set up. This is one of the first step(s) that needs ot be done. Check your manual and or dreambox forum about how to set up your tuner(s). If no uck there, then find "restore factory settings" in your menu system. Whwn you restartit will hopefully start a set-up wizard for you to confihure to suit yourself/

Before I even plugged in my VU+ for the first time, I had checked the manual and looked up tuner settings on forums.

• Advertisement

Ok took the dreambox to the guy adding the lines and he put on 3 satellites for me after few hours eventually got it working but now i trying to add more satellites and havent a clue again? Ne ideas???

Advertisement