Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opening a Mega Drive cart

• 23-10-2010 3:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭

I'm having a lot of trouble trying to get something to open it with. All the pliers I've tried have been a bit too big.

Is there any kind of cheap tool that I could get in a hardware shop for the job? For the people who have done this before, what did you use? Any advice that will make this easier?

I've opened up a Japanese cart before and all you had to do was unscrew a couple of normal screws. Why couldn't they have made these ones as easy. :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The proper way is to use a gamebit screwdriver, you can get them on ebay quite cheap. There is of course the melted birow method, which I'll leave you to google :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Melted biro didn't work for me :( I now have a stack of melted pens.

I had to open up a Gameboy cart to change the battery in it and eyebrow tweezers worked for me as they're small enough. Could give that a go or otherwise get yourself a gamebit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just think ing about this, I have a few carts that I dont need, I'd like to dump a rom onto the carts and make a custom label and case

How would you go about doing this or what else could i do that would be interesting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Just think ing about this, I have a few carts that I dont need, I'd like to dump a rom onto the carts and make a custom label and case

How would you go about doing this or what else could i do that would be interesting?

I doubt most of the carts have writeable roms, you'd need to lift off the existing proms, buy yourself some blank eeproms & a programmer then it's doable. I seen loads of stuff on various sites about building your own carts, it's quite achievable actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You'd also have to make sure you were using the correct doner cart/board. The Snes has something like 15 different types of PCBs. I think the Megadrive is a lot lower though, maybe 4 or so. So should be easier.

Great soldering skills are definitely a basic requirement too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Yeah I think I might just make a secret money stash out of a cartridge, too much effort for doing a repro of somthing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

How about putting a usb harddrive in one? I might just do that myself!

Advertisement