Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optilock Help Needed!!

Options
  • 23-10-2010 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

hi all,

I'm just after stripping 2 heads of 2 optilock bolts, the 2.5mm head ones. Any ideas how to get them out??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If they are the hex head type bolts then often a Torx can be made to fit with a little judicious brutality. The Torx will often turn the Hex head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

CJhaughey wrote: »
    If they are the hex head type bolts then often a Torx can be made to fit with a little judicious brutality. The Torx will often turn the Hex head.

Haha I like the way you say made to fit!!

just tried a torx heads there. a t10 is too small and a t15 is too big:(

Would fergal white be able to help me out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Jonty wrote: »
    just tried a torx heads there. a t10 is too small and a t15 is too big:(

Would fergal white be able to help me out?

I'd say so, give him a bell www.irelandcustomrifle.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Jonty
    CJhaughey wrote: »
    judicious brutality.

Is the key words there.... either you do it or a gunsmith will do it either way its the same result but apply heat to the bolt first to burn off any locktite if it has been applied then hammer (yes hammer !!!) a T15 into the recess for the allen key hole (assuming that its an allen key that was need in the first place.) and try turn the bolt.

Ive done it 1000s of times at this stage and it works :)

let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement

Lads,

thanks for the advice, i'm after having the dinner there now so she can wait till the morning, i'm stuffed!!

There is a couple of ways of removing wrung screws, the above post is one of them.
    There are other options too.
    Access all options carefully and (your own skill ability) before attempting a wrung screw removal.

depending on how wrung it is will determine the removal.
    Always use heating as a last resort.

Thanks Tackleberry. I think I'll be giving fergal white a call. while the rifle is there I might be tempted to get a few bits done to it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

The screws supplied with the Optilok mounts are absolutely poxy, made out of wet paper or something they're so soft. If anyone knows of a source of useful replacement screws I'd love to hear about it.

The screws supplied with the Optilok mounts are absolutely poxy, made out of wet paper or something they're so soft. If anyone knows of a source of useful replacement screws I'd love to hear about it.

Try these boys
    http://www.mitchellsindustrial.com/isapi/isapi.dll
    They sell almost all screw types, make sure you bring one with you to compare thread pitch length etc.

It's the best place i know of in a 60 mile radias of Tullamore that sells all stuff shooters could use

• Advertisement

Lads the screws are M3.5 X7.5mm with a .6 pitch if that helps.

Lads the screws are M3.5 X7.5mm with a .6 pitch if that helps.

also are they counter sink screws etc would be required.
    The lads in Tullamore may be also be able to provide stainless rather than blackened steel if that is desireable, and torx instead of Allen head etc.

thanks again. Its the last time i take a phonecall and try and tighten a scope! This is proof men can't multitask!!

I stripped one while on the phone, and then said "right its not too bad. if i tighten the one next too it there's enough grip left to get the bad one out".

And the rest is history........

Can somebody PM me fergal white's number?

thanks again. Its the last time i take a phonecall and try and tighten a scope! This is proof men can't multitask!!

I stripped one while on the phone, and then said "right its not too bad. if i tighten the one next too it there's enough grip left to get the bad one out".

And the rest is history........

Can somebody PM me fergal white's number?

it's on www.irelandcustomrifle.com just click the link!

sound

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

also are they counter sink screws etc would be required.
    The lads in Tullamore may be also be able to provide stainless rather than blackened steel if that is desireable, and torx instead of Allen head etc.

Not the Optilok screws they are hex head 3.5mm x whatever

it's on www.irelandcustomrifle.com just click the link!

Irish custom rifle.com not there anyway

underconstruction.jpg

If you can get any 3.5mm hex head screws let me know cos I need some as well.

clivej wrote: »
    Irish custom rifle.com not there anyway

underconstruction.jpg

0906473803 or 0863260735

figgy@irelandcustomrifle.com

The website is being made up, Fergal was waiting on a few actions to come in to add as pictures etc.

The contact us link opens an e-mail
    and the phone number is always answered.

right lads,

I've got one fooker out. Got a set of easy outs off a mate. Going for dinner now. The battery is flat on the drill anyway!

edit:- Dinner was nice. 2nd one out there now!!

Lads, just so ye know, I've mention eating twice already in this thread - I'm not a big fat yoke if thats what ye're thinking

Linky for easy outs:

http://www.amazon.com/piece-Easy-Screw-Bolt-Extractor/dp/B0002UJNWE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

right lads,

I've got one fooker out. Got a set of easy outs off a mate. Going for dinner now. The battery is flat on the drill anyway!

edit:- Dinner was nice. 2nd one out there now!!

Lads, just so ye know, I've mention eating twice already in this thread - I'm not a big fat yoke if thats what ye're thinking

Linky for easy outs:

http://www.amazon.com/piece-Easy-Screw-Bolt-Extractor/dp/B0002UJNWE

Awwww yes ... secret option C :P

I didnt know handy you were with a drill :P

wasy fix though :)

Awwww yes ... secret option C :P

I didnt know handy you were with a drill :P

wasy fix though :)

Easy enough. I had a .5mm bit for a pilot hole. The most important thing was to drill the pilot straight and not damage threads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

.................I'm not a big fat yoke if thats what ye're thinking

No-one said you were .............................

................. PS - I see you've updated your Facebook photo ...............
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDh_AJ0E5L9RUTL_wCpE9W6ZtYXskRP26l35LSjZ0cTJbaJhA&t=1&usg=__t33taAB5RKOX63DvfQk3pPd5xqU=:D:p
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement