Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting UPC to rollout in your area?

• 23-10-2010 4:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what one would have to do to get UPC to connect up my house. Basically i tried to order it a while back and they came out and told me that one half of my estate is hooked up but the rest isnt.

I have a cable goin from my house out to the junction box or what ever you call it but apparently there's nothing in there for it to connect to, it has to be hooked up the the exchange.

My question is why dont they just run the cable, all the conduit is down, the cable from my house is there, surely it's not a big job to do it. Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You better follow the ducts and find out

1. are they continous
    2. is there UPC gear at the end

Then contact UPC for their duct maps of the estate to see of they agree with your research, check and double check everything, get someone with you to test the drawstrings in the ducts by joggling them gently, etc.

Then they might pull the cable in if it is an easy job and a load of people your side of the estate are signed up ready to go. UPC customer service is dire, simply appalingly useless, so you must find an engineer in there somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

DanGerMus wrote: »
    Just wondering what one would have to do to get UPC to connect up my house. Basically i tried to order it a while back and they came out and told me that one half of my estate is hooked up but the rest isnt.

I have a cable goin from my house out to the junction box or what ever you call it but apparently there's nothing in there for it to connect to, it has to be hooked up the the exchange.

My question is why dont they just run the cable, all the conduit is down, the cable from my house is there, surely it's not a big job to do it. Anyone have any ideas?
    Where about's are you located?. Have a look for markings on the chamber/manhole (UPC/NTL/CABLELINK etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

I'm in shannon, co clare, thanks sponge bob i'll do what i can. I remember when the technician called out to do the install, after he told me i couldnt get it, he told me he'd been out to my row of houses 5 or 6 times so there is deffinatly interest there for it. But i know now that some of the neighbours have got eircom in or vodaphone so probably wont be changing over too soon what with contracts and all.

I do know that a good few people have tried to get chorus tv in as well and been told they can't obviously for the same reason, but you'd think with all the interest they'd be aware and try to supply the service themselves. There must be 8 houses here altogether that have tried to get one of there services. thats a good few grand worth of business lost for the sake of running a cable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I understand that their GIS data for Shannon is cack, they consider estates live that are not and estates not live that are...indicating their network data is cack.

So you need to clear matters up at that level.

Advertisement