Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Sorry I didn't see you "

• 23-10-2010 5:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭

Anybody else getting f***ing fed up of this line? I got knocked down this morning in Lemybrien in Waterford on my Saturday cycle . I was waiting at a T-junction with the intention of turning right to head for Carrick ( anybody who's done the Sk will have cycled past it) . A car comes from the left and proceeds to turn into my road ( remember I'm stationary at junction) but he is on my side of the road and hits me head on . I end up hitting the bonnet and windscreen , myself and bike end up about 10 feet away . Thought my ankle was broke but it seems ok , neck pain , shoulder and left hip are very painful but I'm happy enough that I'll be ok .
    Turned out to be an 85 year old man , now the poor ba****d was shaking as much as I was but when he said " I just didn't see you " I wanted to choke him . His son gave me a lift back to Waterford in his car when he arrived at the scene . I didn't report it btw , just happy to be alive , but in conversation with his son in the car , the fact the old man was driving at all seems to be a family issue . I reckon they've been trying to convince him for a while to give up the driving . He uses the car to go to the shop , less than a mile away for the paper every morning , likely hasn't even got insurance .
    Now I have no intention of claiming anything ( unbelievably the bike seems, apart from a few scratches to be ok 'cos my hip area took most of the impact ) but what I'm concerned about is that this man could have killed me or even a small child on a bike or a pedestrian coming from the shop . Would you , like I'm thinking insist of the son that his father discontinues driving ? I just didn't see you ...........Boll***s
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Maybe its just me but I would report this in a heartbeat, maybe he is nervous about driving for a few weeks but is back out there driving... maybe in 2/3 years time you hear about some old man in the same area that smashed into someone on the school run.

Thats just me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Awful_Bliss

I haven't cycled in 2 years but when I did this pathetic excuse came up all the time. You never saw anyone come running frantically out of their cars asking 'are you alright?' Then you hear the old opinions of a tiny minority 'reckless' cyclists and so we all must be like that. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Deisetrek wrote: »
    in conversation with his son in the car , the fact the old man was driving at all seems to be a family issue . I reckon they've been trying to convince him for a while to give up the driving

This accident could be what finally convinces him to stop driving.

In saying that if I was in your position I'd report it. I wouldn't want to be thinking "what if" should he plough into someone else in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

That excuse infuriates me all the time.
    There's a cycle path right in front of my house, and lunatics fly up and down it with no care or attention to pedestrians all the time. My kid nearly got sent flying a number of times. The last such time, I grabbed the cyclist who protested 'I didn't see you'. Well then, look next time.
    The difference between this and a motorist doing the same, is at least you can claim off a motorist and cost them on their insurance or their licence. Sadly, neither is required to race around town, hopping pavements and sending pedestrians flying, on a cycle.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,702 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Hope everything's OK, with you and the bike.

Firstly get yourself checked out - injuries sometime don't show up immediately, particularly when the adrenaline is flowing, as was probably the case here.

Secondly, yes I think you should report it. An 85 year old who did not see you and cut across a junction like that is probably a danger to himself as well as other road users. I am sure there are plenty of 85 year olds who remain perfectly capable of driving, but I suspect this guy may not be one of them. If he does not have insurance, or possibly a current licence, he should definitely be removed from the road

I was nearly taken out myself on Tuesday - heading across an M1 junction roundabout, on the outside of the inside lane - the outside lane was straight ahead only, and a car pulled alongside me in the outside lane then proceeded to cut across me onto the slip road. I ended up 5-10 metres down the slip road - she only missed me by about 30cm, although at the time I was convinced I was going down.

I stopped her proceeding onto the slip road, to allow me to have a "word" with her. She rolled the window down - she was probably in her 40s, and looked just about as shocked as I was. Indeed, after my initial rant she could only mutter quietly "I'm sorry, is there anything I can do?". I calmed down a bit and simply said I had just about the brightest lights in Ireland and she could not possibly have not seen me (although clearly she hadn't). I said she had to look out for cyclists and also use the correct lane, and then let her go. Hopefully it's a lesson learned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

_sheep wrote: »
    Maybe its just me but I would report this in a heartbeat, maybe he is nervous about driving for a few weeks but is back out there driving... maybe in 2/3 years time you hear about some old man in the same area that smashed into someone on the school run.

Thats just me though.

Yeah the more I think about it , the more I think I have to suggest to his son that he gets his father off the road . He'll be happy enough that I'm not pursuing anything . Depending on his attitude to my suggestion I think I will leave well enough alone . If he takes me short though I can talk to a Garda friend of mine to have a word in his ear . The son seemed sound though and maybe this will give him the ammo he needs to convince his dad to give up the driving .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

That excuse infuriates me all the time.
    There's a cycle path right in front of my house, and lunatics fly up and down it with no care or attention to pedestrians all the time. My kid nearly got sent flying a number of times. The last such time, I grabbed the cyclist who protested 'I didn't see you'. Well then, look next time.
    The difference between this and a motorist doing the same, is at least you can claim off a motorist and cost them on their insurance or their licence. Sadly, neither is required to race around town, hopping pavements and sending pedestrians flying, on a cycle.

eh, maybe don't let your kid play on the cycle lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭henboy

Sorry to hear about your accident , I know that stretch of road well . I would also suggest to get yourself checked over you never know with these things .
    Also fair play in your attitude towards this ( For what its worth I think your going down the right path ) . by the sounds of it you had a lucky escape there . Hope all goes well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

mloc123 wrote: »
    eh, maybe don't let your kid play on the cycle lane?

My kid's 16 and doesn't play in any lanes. The cycle path adjoins the pedestrian sidewalk right outside the house, but is rarely if ever respected by those it was built for, who instead rally up and down the entire space as if it was their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think you should report it . He'll keep driving. he obviously ignores the family. Parent often can't take advise from their kids.

You could get some pain from this later, and you'll be paying for the physio yourself. Takes a few days, even a week before things start to hurt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Great news that you're substantially unhurt, but I'd still get checked out.

As for reporting it to the Guards - I think I'd be of the opinion it should be. The next person might not be as lucky as you.

It's commendable that you don't want to stress an old guy (and his family out) but maybe a quiet firm word from a traffic cop might convince him to give up.

As for the question posed in the original - it is quiet irritating to hear that from a motorist - also anyone find the sheepish "sorrrreeeeee" wave you get from a motorist that has nearly ploughed you quiet annoying?

I've had drivers (taxi drivers seem particularly prone to it) eyeball me then pull out / across forcing me to take evasive action of the most dramatic sort - but afterwards they waved so that seems to make it ok.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

Jawgap wrote: »
    G
    As for the question posed in the original - it is quiet irritating to hear that from a motorist - also anyone find the sheepish "sorrrreeeeee" wave you get from a motorist that has nearly ploughed you quiet annoying?

I've had drivers (taxi drivers seem particularly prone to it) eyeball me then pull out / across forcing me to take evasive action of the most dramatic sort - but afterwards they waved so that seems to make it ok.......

Would you prefer a nonchalant head in the air, or perhaps the finger ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Sorry to hear about your accident dude, couple of things get yourself checked over, an x-ray mightn't be out of the way just to make sure. Is the bike a carbon or alu frame ?

Just be careful over the frame, I would get it looked at, it mightn't crack today or tomorrow, but you might find yourself out of the saddle some day and hear a crack. I would also have a word with the Son, again saying look for safety's sake your getting the bike and yourself checked over for any damage and you'll let him know if there is any damage.

I can see you don't want to go to the cops but you don't know the way people will react if they find out that the bike is worth 2 grand and they've got to replace it. So I'd prime the pumps with the son so that nothing comes as a surprise further on down the road.

Junior wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your accident dude, couple of things get yourself checked over, an x-ray mightn't be out of the way just to make sure. Is the bike a carbon or alu frame ?

Just be careful over the frame, I would get it looked at, it mightn't crack today or tomorrow, but you might find yourself out of the saddle some day and hear a crack. I would also have a word with the Son, again saying look for safety's sake your getting the bike and yourself checked over for any damage and you'll let him know if there is any damage.

I can see you don't want to go to the cops but you don't know the way people will react if they find out that the bike is worth 2 grand and they've got to replace it. So I'd prime the pumps with the son so that nothing comes as a surprise further on down the road.

Thanks Junior , the frame is a combination of aluminium and carbon ( chainstays and fork are carbon ) . I did a visual check myself and can't see any cracks just a couple of scrapes on paintwork . Like I said I took most of the impact on my left side , hip, shoulders , ankle and neck 'cause I turned fractionally sideways just before impact . I actually dented his bonnet with my hip . If I can work up the courage I intend to bring the bike out on the road around my estate in the morning to check her out better . It's amazing first thing you think of lying on the road " is the bike ok?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I'd report it DeiseTrek and claim for any damages to your bike and any medical expenses. You'll feel worse if this old guy ends up killing another cyclist. If this gets him off the road too bad for him and all the better for every other cyclist in the county. Whilst I can understand your sympathy for the guy (and in that regard you are a far superior human to me - if someone hit me and it wasn't my fault, I wouldn't roll around on the ground looking for a claim, but if I was hurt or suffered damage to my bike I would sue them into extinction, even if it meant a frail old man having a heart attack on the spot and I would sleep soundly that night too)

This happened to a guy I sold a bike to a couple of months ago at a roundabout on the Waterford Ring road, like you he took it on the hip mostly, no real long term effects, limping for 2 weeks, heavy bruising and about 300 damage to the bike, but the insurance company even though he didn't claim for injury insisted he take 5k extra and promise not to sue them in the future should any medical complaints arise in relation to this. Insurance companies, as anyone who has made a motor claim will tell you are not in the habit of volunteering cash for no reason. Problems can develop after an incident like this that are not immediately apparent. Make sure you don't regret turning the other cheek here, see how you feel in the next few days and get that bike properly checked over.

On a different note, good to hear you are ok. You get into a tussle with a car and are posting on the internet about it that evening thats a pretty damn great result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Got hit from behind (no jokes please) during the summer and ended up in a ditch on the side of the road. Driver (female - but I'm not stereotyping) came out with the "I didn't see you" line. The best part of this is it was a beautiful clear day, I cycle the largest commercially available frame (as I'm 6'6" - it's a Trek) and I was wearing a bright yellow jersey which I'm pretty sure can be seen from Mars - at night time. But she didn't see me.

I was pretty angry at the time but she seemed very upset so I let her off, in hindsight a bit too easily. Amazingly the bike wasn't damaged apart from a few scuffs but my shoulder still hurts - silly me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

was out on the bike today and didnt get the line nor got run over but came up with the age old problem. IMPATIENTS. was cycling along the road back to maynooth and hit a slightly narrow section of road on the way in. all of a sudden there was an incessant amount of beeping behind me. i couldnt pull in so i had no option but to continue on but the guy kept beeping. he finally passed with his hand still firmley glued to the horn. i honestly dont know what i did to piss him off, could it be because i cycle a bike:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

biomed32 wrote: »
    was out on the bike today and didnt get the line nor got run over but came up with the age old problem. IMPATIENTS. was cycling along the road back to maynooth and hit a slightly narrow section of road on the way in. all of a sudden there was an incessant amount of beeping behind me. i couldnt pull in so i had no option but to continue on but the guy kept beeping. he finally passed with his hand still firmley glued to the horn. i honestly dont know what i did to piss him off, could it be because i cycle a bike:D

A disposable camera with a flash in the back pocket can be good in situations like that. If a driver goes off like a nutter beeping and such, whip the camera out quickly roll a frame on while pressing the flash charger, drop the camera to ones side and snap a photo of the front of the car. The improvement in motorist behaviour is instantaneous 9/10 times.

what road into maynooth was this?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,702 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Wasn't you was it, mloc123?:D

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    Wasn't you was it, mloc123?:D

haha, no.. I cycle that way quite a bit tho'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I have been in similar situations myself, nearly killed by a lorry who decided o drive me off the road.
    This week, i've passed 2 cyclists sprawled out on the pavement with a sheepish driver standing there.

I punched a range rover this week that was in my cycle lane for no apparent reason, he got some shock, started with the dirty looks etc, I just raised my fist and invited him to come out of the car for a chat.

If I hear one more bloody motorist talking cyclists down! Cars are like forums everyone's a big man in them, everytime i hear a motorist talking about the hazards of cyclists I want to invite them to the hazard that is my fist!

BTW I cycle in dublin, which has more than it's fair share of scum on the road. When these dopes hit a cyclist they aren't shaken up by what they've done but by what might happen to them.

In most cases IMO they it's a mixture of disinterest + some god given right to own the road that causes them to hit you. it's only a matter of time before i get hit again, but I pity whoever gets out of the car.

a turnoff from clane i think. it was at an old building with a tall circular tower beside it, appears to be an old wrecked church

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

Sorry to hear about your incident Deise - I reakon you wouldn't get much hop out of the guards in Limmybrien unfortunately - they're of that ilk - very old school and probably went to school with the old fella. however I think I know the old fella your on about and he shouldn't even be sat in a car. He nearly reversed into my van at the new petrol station down there on day. Hope you recover quick

On the subject of your thread hijacking, if people lived somewhere where pedestrians had to walk on the hard shoulder of a motorway - would they complain about this to the motorists? I think not. Should those motorway drivers drive slowly just incase? No. I think this gripe is with your local council

a turnoff from clane i think. it was at an old building with a tall circular tower beside it, appears to be an old wrecked church

Yeah I know it, cycle that way a couple of times a week... luckily with no maniacs behind me yet.

aquanaut wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your incident Deise - I reakon you wouldn't get much hop out of the guards in Limmybrien unfortunately - they're of that ilk - very old school and probably went to school with the old fella. however I think I know the old fella your on about and he shouldn't even be sat in a car. He nearly reversed into my van at the new petrol station down there on day. Hope you recover quick

On the subject of your thread hijacking, if people lived somewhere where pedestrians had to walk on the hard shoulder of a motorway - would they complain about this to the motorists? I think not. Should those motorway drivers drive slowly just incase? No. I think this gripe is with your local council

Thanks aquanaut , that's it then , you've put the tin hat on it for me , I MUST get this man off the road . I think I will have to go beyond suggesting to his son he insists on it . I will ask for his insurance details ( which I didn't do at the scene because I was so shocked) and inform them that even though I do not intend to pursue any action I must insist that his policy is not renewed .
    Went for a short spin this morning Waterford to Dunmore east return , basically to check out the bike , shifting etc and steering issues . Thankfully and amazingly the bike seems grand apart from a few scracthes .Tough as old boots them Treks ;). Still in a lot of pain on my left side but I got away with murder to be honest .
    Just struck me since this thread started the amount of people on this forum who've been hit by vehicles , we're an endangered species ......

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Taghadoe? A lot of people use that road as an outer ringroad to get from the Clamne Rd to the Staffen rd and onto the M4, It's up there with Kellystown lane as raod to avoid on the bike...

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

Went for a short spin this morning Waterford to Dunmore east return , basically to check out the bike

Will be on that route about 12 tomorrow. Good luck with yer man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Nearly got taken out by a "gain" truck at the Tramore roundabout on the outer ring road.

The truck was braking while overtaking and proceeded to cut me off at the corner of the round about. Frightening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I'd gently suggest that you ring up Gain HQ and complain. Identify the time and location of the incident and it should be relatively easy, if they have the will, to make the driver aware of his transgression.

rp wrote: »
    Taghadoe? A lot of people use that road as an outer ringroad to get from the Clamne Rd to the Staffen rd and onto the M4, It's up there with Kellystown lane as raod to avoid on the bike...

i got lost!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Velo Bro

Beasty!
    Beasty wrote: »
    "I'm sorry, is there anything I can do.

And what did you say?:) No doubt ever the gent....................

Velo Bro!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's very easy to say two days after the accident, "right, I can move all my limbs, it's just a few bruises and scratches, I'll be grand in two weeks", but the pain can continue well into the next two months. If you haven't been to a doctor, do so. At the very least you will have a report on which to base any possible future medical claims.

Cracked bones in particular are an annoyance. They don't stop you from being able to move your limbs, but remain sore for up to 8 weeks and can easily progress into a full-on break if you're not careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Fair play for not claiming, many people would have and from the sounds of your accident, you would have stood to win thousands from insurance, if the man was insured of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I don't understand this thread at all.

Someone drove directly into you on the(ir) wrong side of the road whilst you were clearly visible at a junction, in broad daylight.

It's not your responsibility to decide the consequences for this person, that's for the guards and the criminal justice system.

If you let it go then that person goes on to kill a cyclist or pedestrian, it's on you.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    I don't understand this thread at all.

Someone drove directly into you on the(ir) wrong side of the road whilst you were clearly visible at a junction, in broad daylight.

It's not your responsibility to decide the consequences for this person, that's for the guards and the criminal justice system.

If you let it go then that person goes on to kill a cyclist or pedestrian, it's on you.

I'm trying to be reasonable here and I don't appreciate you telling me that "it's on me " if he goes onto kill somebody else . I have,just today incidentally talked to the son and requested his course of action should be to take the father off the road . I may have to consider another course of action depending on his response ( including the guards etc) but don't you f***in preach to me .I came on here seeking advice from people who may have had similar experiences not to be told it's on me .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm trying to be reasonable here and I don't appreciate you telling me that "it's on me " if he goes onto kill somebody else . I have,just today incidentally talked to the son and requested his course of action should be to take the father off the road . I may have to consider another course of action depending on his response ( including the guards etc) but don't you f***in preach to me .I came on here seeking advice from people who may have had similar experiences not to be told it's on me .......

I'm not preaching. I'm outlining your moral and legal responsibilities as I see them, which are the same as those of anyone who is involved in a road accident in which careless or dangerous driving is involved.

Your OP asked "Would you , like I'm thinking insist of the son that his father discontinues driving ?"

To which my response is essentially "No, I'd report it to the guards", plus the detailed reasoning behind that response.

edit: FWIW, I'm not really sure why you haven't reported it to the guards. What do you think it going to happen? If it goes to court the judge will most likely explain to him (nicely and politely) that it isn't acceptable for him to be risking people's lives like this, and that he should stop driving. He's not going to go to jail, and at his age it's hardly going to thwart his future career as a professional driver. His son would probably be relieved not have to be the bad guy and risk his relationship with his father.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm pretty much with Lumen on this one. This wasn't a sideswipe or a simple mistake that any of us would have made.

He ploughed straight through you. "Sorry I didn't see you" doesn't really cut it here, you can't say that he simply forgot to look in a mirror or check a blindspot, he made an error which indicates that he is clearly incapable of operating a vehicle on the road.

His family have limited power here - he is still an adult who is free to ignore his familys wishes. Getting the Gardai involved adds officialness to it and even if they don't take him off the road now, your complaint is on file when he nexts "doesn't see" someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

If the driver is over 70 years old, then he should only be on a one year or three year maximum driving licence. To get that licence he will need to have submitted a report from his doctor that he is fit to drive. As well as the Gardai being involved there will also be a complicit doctor that has certified that man fit to drive.

Taken from the RSA website:

"Your age will determine the licence term you can apply for:
    • Under 60: 10-year or 3-year licence
    • 60-66: a licence that will expire when you reach 70, or 3-year licence
    • 67-69: 3-year licence
    • 70 or over: 3-year or 1-year licence (subject to certification of fitness to drive by your doctor)
    The age in question is your age on the first day of the period for which the licence is being granted. A 1-year licence may be granted in exceptional circumstances where, for medical reasons, a longer licence term cannot be granted."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I've had the "I didn't see you" line thrown at me numerous times, as many others obviously have too (on one memorable occasion, an auld fella went one further and after I asked him why he tried to run me over by overtaking me in his car and then making a swift left turn, he "cleverly" turned the tables by asking why I tried to run him over). On almost every occasion that I've experienced it, it has been almost a reflex response - a desperate defensive claim made by a driver (or cyclist in some cases) in the vain hope of somehow covering up their either not having looked at all or their having seen me but deciding to proceed anyway.

However, being hit head-on by a car turning on the wrong side of the road makes that defence by the driver moot anyway. He shouldn't have been on the wrong side of the road in those circumstances regardless of whether he thought that side of the road was clear or not, and that he chose to be there at all suggests that his standard of driving is fundamentally appalling and dangerous. It sounds as if his family are already aware of the dangers that he poses but they are shirking their responsibilities by allowing him to continue driving. Yes, you should report him to the gardai, and no you are not being unfair to him or his family by doing so. On the contrary you are doing them all a favour by helping avoid a scenario where he ends up being arrested for dangerous driving at some point in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I must live in a different dimension. Drivers, or people in general not paying attention, seems pretty common to me. Cyclists, drivers, pedestrians, all seem pretty distracted at least some of the time. Seems part of the human condition in a very fast moving and distracting environment. If you removed all those who make mistakes, that would probably be about 95 of the people.

That said the situation described by the OP is a little different, where a history of problems, is apparent. In that case I'd be reporting it. TBH I'd be reporting most things, people don't learn unless you do.

Advertisement