Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good time to buy a gaf ?

• 23-10-2010 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭

anyone out there planning to buy a house in the near future ?

Personally I think the market will fall furthur becasue

1. No confidence out there in property, or anything else
    2. Four years of horrendous budgets to look forward
    3. What bank will want to offer mortgages when they face years of defaults on the ones they have ?
    4. Plus possible fire sales of property from above defaults

Having said that there are probably many of you who have good jobs, good savings and therefore good mortgage candidates, who held off in the boom and are licking your lips at some of the properties within your grasp these days

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Deadly, haven't seen this in a while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

In before alison jokes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Is it a good time to buy a gaff?

It's 6pm on a Saturday evening, so I would say, no.

Good time to buy a few beers though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

If those fire sales go ahead they will really rumble the market even more

I think there are areas of Dublin for example that have very desirable properties and could offer fantastic value these days
    Commuter belt areas will probably never recover their values
    Apartments in general, meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

what makes u think there will be fire sales?

dumping a load of properties into the market for peanuts would be more damaging than anything

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

BArra wrote: »

dumping a load of properties into the market for peanuts would be more damaging than anything
    Damaging for who? If the OP is buying isn't it better for them to pay less rather than currently rolling over the debts of vested interests through increased taxes and reduced public services. It's time to accept the tide is gone out. Housing beyond the means of your average earners is not good for society, despite what crap the Irish media swallow and regurgitate.

Our economy will be booming again in a few months time. Once we get over this blip the housing market will soar like a rocket.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

knird evol wrote: »
    Our economy will be booming again in a few months time. Once we get over this blip the housing market will soar like a rocket.
    or not.

Are you taking bets from your friends when you say things because if you do then they are not really your friends, they're taking advantage of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

why the fcuk would anyone want to buy any of that mass built sh*te anyway? most of its like paper mache

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

an interesting economic theory brought forward by boards.ie regular/ knird evol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

What's a gaf? Does it come with chips and a drink?

It's a great time to buy a house; unfortunately it's not such a great time to get a mortgage or to prove employment stability, hence prices will fall for another while until there's money and confidence to loan to buyers and then we start the whole thing all over again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

A gaff? A single gaff?

LOL, you could buy a whole estate in Leitrim or Longford for €4.27

catbear wrote: »
    Are you taking bets from your friends when you say things because if you do then they are not really your friends, they're taking advantage of you.

on the plus side im taking advantage of your aul one every night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

It was starting to look good, but then got made redundant.

:(

You don't even know who's riding who. You will be used for the rest of your life .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Buying a gaf would be a serious gaffe, imo.

/gets coat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

If those fire sales go ahead they will really rumble the market even more

I think there are areas of Dublin for example that have very desirable properties and could offer fantastic value these days
    Commuter belt areas will probably never recover their values
    Apartments in general, meh

Where in Dublin?

How? Its damaging letting them sit there. Putting an artificial floor on prices will not work.

• Advertisement

Mortgage holder defaults, bank siezes house, sells for whatever they can and get order against mortgage holder for the rest
    Better the bank gets something for the house than nothing at all

You don't even know who's riding who. You will be used for the rest of your life .

i took photos to be sure. ill get her to drop them into you in the hospital for you. you can play with yourself

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

house prices will never soar to what they were again within the next 10-20 years anyway.when everybody becomes an idiot again,maybe..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

When the average gaff costs 3.5 times the average salary is a good time to buy.
    And it will happen..despite the govt interference by way of NAMA

Degsy wrote: »

€110,000 or so is probably never going to happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

No.

I don't think so anyway.

The direction the country is going to take is far from clear as yet. There are some very tough times ahead of us. I'd put off the decision for now and revise it in two years time if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

a fine vulture capitalist you will make

pmcmahon wrote: »
    €110,000 or so is probably never going to happen

Depends both on the house itself and the area it's in.

There are starter/3 beds near me for a good bit less than €110K...area mightn't be great but it's a house

Lots of things are probably never going to happen...the return of property to it's 2006/07 value is certainly one...

Wertz wrote: »
    Depends both on the house itself and the area it's in.

There are starter/3 beds near me for a good bit less than €110K...area mightn't be great but it's a house

Lots of things are probably never going to happen...the return of property to it's 2006/07 value is certainly one...

less than 110k for a 3 bed? thats one thing i thought i would never see,thats less than some eastern european countries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

FFS Your in AH...Its YOREMA!!

less than 110k for a 3 bed? thats one thing i thought i would never see,thats less than some eastern european countries

Ex local authority house, from private sale. There's a few at less than 100K around here...probably landlords that can't let them out dumping them.
    But they're houses and the build quality is usually to a high standard (definitley better than the standards of recent years) even if the area might put some buyers off...

Even if some properties are kept from the market by political force, it will not stop the reduction in the selling price as executor sales have to sell at whatever they can get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭De Dannan

It would be nice to get some idea of what houses are actually selling for, or how many are selling.
    The asking price is really no guide in this market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Degsy wrote: »
    I doubt it'll drop to quite that much. If the bubble happened 20 years ago it would have, but given the fact that there are now far more 2 income couples rather than the 'traditional' single income, prices will be a bit higher.

It'll still drop a fair amount from where it is at the moment though obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Wertz wrote: »
    There are starter/3 beds near me for a good bit less than €110K
    Does it ever to make sense to buy a "starter" anything for a six figure sum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Pherekydes wrote: »
    LOL, you could buy a whole estate in Leitrim or Longford for €4.27

I was wondering what to do with all my millions. Now I know.

De Dannan wrote: »
    It would be nice to get some idea of what houses are actually selling for, or how many are selling.
    The asking price is really no guide in this market
    This is possibly the nearest you'll get when trying to figure where asking prices are, just type in the area you're interested in.
    http://www.collapso.net/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

hey we've turned the corner, if you don't get on the property ladder now, YOU NEVER WILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111omg

i've always pondered on the whole irish mentality of "i must buy and own my house! i must,i must!",i know rent is dead money but if you look at some households with such negative equity,is it really worth it? not to mention maintenance and everything else that comes with it.

i've always pondered on the whole irish mentality of "i must buy and own my house! i must,i must!",i know rent is dead money but if you look at some households with such negative equity,is it really worth it? not to mention maintenance and everything else that comes with it.

I think that mentality of owning may be dented by recent events. I can see us going more european in the attitude of renting for life......
    I know that people are responsible for their own actions so whoever bought a house during the boom has to live with that. At the same time people were being put under pressure by very powerful agents (govt, banks) telling them prices would continue to increase, if they didnt get on the ladder they would miss out etc...
    I know renting is dead money, but so is negative equity you have no hope of seeing again !

• Advertisement

What I can't understand is how there still can be council waiting lists when there are by three different estimates around 300,000 empties. Our gov still priortises investors over people trying to make a home. Social suicide!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I own a place i got 3 years back. Not that i want to sell but...

Trying to get a good price on the place would be like trying to get Sneakers o Toole to take his sneakers off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Jg_Zs6uiOg

What I can't understand is how there still can be council waiting lists when there are by three different estimates around 300,000 empties. Our gov still priortises investors over people trying to make a home. Social suicide!

its ireland,money is worth more than people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

because the government and developers would rather knock those houses down or let them become derelict rather than give them to people for little or nothing. doesnt make much sense but then again this current government doesnt have much sense. couldnt run a piss up in a brewery

I've read it that the society that puts its prosperity before its principles loses both.
    I really hope that this kills the gombeen man for a generation, if not it's all been in vain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I think that mentality of owning may be dented by recent events. I can see us going more european in the attitude of renting for life......
    I know that people are responsible for their own actions so whoever bought a house during the boom has to live with that. At the same time people were being put under pressure by very powerful agents (govt, banks) telling them prices would continue to increase, if they didnt get on the ladder they would miss out etc...
    I know renting is dead money, but so is negative equity you have no hope of seeing again !

Won't happen as the system still supports owning a gaff with huge financial supports still in place for homeowners. Coupled with massive financial supports for owning over renting when things go wrong(like job loss), property ownership is numero uno in this country for a reason.

And rent ain't dead money either. the apt I am in lost maybe 100k in value over a year and yet I rent for 12k a yr, I just made a huge saving by not buying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

De Dannan wrote: »
    anyone out there planning to buy a house in the near future ?

Personally I think the market will fall furthur becasue

1. No confidence out there in property, or anything else
    2. Four years of horrendous budgets to look forward
    3. What bank will want to offer mortgages when they face years of defaults on the ones they have ?
    4. Plus possible fire sales of property from above defaults

Having said that there are probably many of you who have good jobs, good savings and therefore good mortgage candidates, who held off in the boom and are licking your lips at some of the properties within your grasp these days

Well according to our Patron Saint of Finance, St. Brian Lenihan, the economy has turned the corner.

So lads and lassies, let's get out there and buy some gaffs!

It's never a good or a bad time to buy...it's always a good time to buy.

I give you a quote from a man with impeccable credentials, Mr Frank Fahey:

'This is a great time for first-time buyers to buy. It is now a buyers' market. There is unbelievable value out there at the moment [...] "The banks are giving loans at the moment. But be ready to make your move."

So what are you boardsies waiting for?

Down to the bank on Tuesday the lot of you and do your patriotic duty, pony up some cash and buy a house or two.

You know it makes sense!

The question is though can the system afford to support ownership over good flexible renting options?
    Rent allowance or landlord social welfare can't be seen as practical by those does keeping Ireland from defaulting, especially when a steady revenue stream can be attained through social housing. I don't believe the regime will choose this path voluntarily but I do wonder now if they have any choice.

If FF start spinning all their hard decisions as "The EU made us do it", then we know the right thing is been done, they would never admit to the right and hard thing themselves.

Down to the bank on Monday the lot of you and do your patriotic duty, pony up some cash and buy a house or two.
    Bank holiday monday, yipee.

I give you a quote from a man with impeccable credentials, Mr Frank Fahey:

'This is a great time for first-time buyers to buy. It is now a buyers' market. There is unbelievable value out there at the moment [...] "The banks are giving loans at the moment. But be ready to make your move."

I remember about 3 years ago there was a guy on the Late Late show who said "this is a really good time to buy" , this guy was an estate agent of course. As unreal as this advice may have seemed at the time, it was still a guy on the national broadcaster who was basically lying to the nation for profit, which is more or less what the government, banks were doing for years. I dont know how it will be possible to move on with this corrupt ruling class we have allowed to control the country

• Advertisement
Advertisement