Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my boy getting tonsils out

Options
  • 23-10-2010 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

as above he is going in on thursday to get the hugh tonsils out, he has to have a light breakfeast before 9am (he is never hungry that time of day) ,he was told to be in the ward at 12.30. hope they wont leave him to long after that. his dad had his out 6 weeks ago so he is not scared of hospitals, its me his mum will have no control of him when he is gone into the theature, like i know where he is at all times at home but its out of my hands when they operate..has any of you mums and dads gone through this ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

How old is he? My son has had two procedures done, one at two years and one at three, not tonsils though.

Not fun. I was outside. I could hear him screaming and crying like I never heard him before. I just balled my way through it.

You will be ok though. You just tell yourself this will make him better and your husband will be there too to do the hard stuff like hand him to the nurses.

I think if he's a bit older its probably easier because he understands. Mine was very young.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Mini me had hers out at age 5 and she was fine
    It was me that was in bits
    Spent the time she was in theatre wandering around outside like a zombie!

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

my lad is 7. but all im thinking would be what if somthing goes wrong. im such a worrier its unreal. his tonsils are like two golfballs. dont know how he can sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Butterflylove

Getting the tonsils out is a pretty routine thing,

My sister had hers out at 17 she said it was grand and she's a big baby with pain so I believe her when she said it was pretty painless,
    Said it was nothing compared to the pain of the tonsils before hand,

If is gets hard just think of the pain he's suffering with now I remember when my tonsils were infected and it was so hard to breath etc pain was pretty bad he'll be right as rain after op plus he gets to eat all the ice cream he can afterwards ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

cats.life wrote: »
    my lad is 7. but all im thinking would be what if somthing goes wrong. im such a worrier its unreal. his tonsils are like two golfballs. dont know how he can sleep.

It's one of the most routine and simplest procedures. I'm not even sure anything can go wrong. I mean, you'd be talking about some 1-in-a-million occurrence like the surgeon having a heart attack mid-operation or something.

No need to worry. He'll be absolutely 100% fine.

<---need to get my own tonsils removed as I have constant infections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Firstly, NO need to to worry, NOTHING will go wrong!

My lad has his tonsils, adenoids and grommits done when he was four. He had suffered desperately to that point, with tonsillitis 6/7 times a year till then.

The worst part for me was when he got the anaesthetic. We had a few hours in the hosp a week before hand - in the day ward - where we all put on the gowns and hats, went down to theatre and saw exactly what was going to happen (temple st). This was a HUGE help I must say.

However, no one told me that when he got the general (with the mask) he 'shook' - probably only for 5/10 seconds, but it scared the crap out of me. This is apparently, very normal and happens to everyone when they get a general, but I was holding my 4yr old in my arms at the time, on the theatre bed, and he had, what I thought, was a 'fit'.

I must say, the theatre nurse was amazing and within minutes I was fine again, when I realised that this was just a normal reaction of him going under anaesthetic.

Anyway, no one told me about that part, before it, and had I been a bit more prepared for it, I'd have been fine.

But hand on heart, when he came around after the op, he was fine. Some ice cream an hour later, he was a bit groggy and grumpy, but within two hours, not a bother. And once we got home 3 days later, he was like a different child. Seriously. I hadn't realised how much calpol and nurofen I'd kept in the house over the first four years of his life, until a year later, when I automatically went to the medicine cabinet (for a cold) and I didn't have a bottle of any pain killers for him - having had them constantly at the ready for the previous four years.

He'll be fine OP - and he'll be much better for it. Best of luck.

thanks for that fittle, my lad had operation when he was 4 on his privates, so i know what happens in the room, hats and gowns , but i was not there when they put him under cos i wasnt allowed in. but still its good to be aware of the fit you mentioned cos i would freek out if i didnt no. im told that they let the mum or dad in to the op room ,its bon secour,s in galway. just want it to over for him. he wont be allowed to school till after a week.,plus i want to be the first one he see.s when he wakes up.

well we are home from the op, his dad went with him to theature stayed until he was put under with mask. they told him to go back to room and they will ring rooms phone to come down when he is ready to wake up. it took alot to wake him, he threw up the blood from operation that went down his tummy. nurse said it was good that he did bring it up cos he would be another night in, he had a not so bad night, i was on a mattress, when i say mattres its was so cosey. but i was wide awake for him incase he needed anything. the nurses are brilliant they couldnt do enough for him. i even got breakfest , he ate white bread ,butter, marmalade. he thought it was lovely. he is now on the couch watching iceroad truckers wraped in his quilt. he talks different now. we are so glad its over with.

Advertisement