Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Other closeted guys out there?

Options
  • 23-10-2010 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I am a guy in his mid twenties and I am semi-closeted (Only came out to some friends). I haven't been to any gay bars yet but I don't think I will either cos I don't really like the campness of it all. Are there bars that aren't full of camp guys in Dublin?

Also, I am curious to know are there a lot of closeted guys in Ireland? My suspicion is that there is.

I would love to get responses from guys/girls out there that are in the closet and read about their experiences.

One day I would like to meet a nice guy that is not camp (no offense to those that are) that is similar age and has things in common with me. I am feeling very down as I'm writing this and sometimes I wonder am I destined to be alone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Carl.Gustav

If you haven't been to any how do you know they are all camp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Judging by this board, every gay man in Ireland is closeted, 26 and confused. They can't be that hard to find in real life:P

Try the groups in outhouse maybe? There are loads of gay sports clubs as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

The recent Irish Times survey indicates that 4% of people in Ireland don't identify as straight. It may be simplistic of me, but I would wager that those 4% are gay. This of course doesn't include anybody who is actually gay, but doesn't feel comfortable saying so.

Conservatively, there are 325,000 males aged 20 to 29 in the country. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pyramidireland.gif) 4% of them is 13,000. Dublin has roughly a quarter of the country's population, leaving a grand total of 3,250 gay men in their twenties living in Dublin.

Now, bearing in mind that this is entirely unscientific, I would say that no more than 2,000 of them visit the bars, leaving a good thousand odd closet-like cases.

So to answer your question, OP: yes, there are many people your age who you will not find in the bars. Maybe not closet-cases, but certainly not advertising it.

</geek>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,953 ✭✭✭Daith

Honestly? Just go to a gay bar and see for yourself. The scene doesnt suit everyone but you should at least see what it is before ye dismiss it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 lionchild

I am a guy in his mid twenties and I am semi-closeted (Only came out to some friends). I haven't been to any gay bars yet but I don't think I will either cos I don't really like the campness of it all. Are there bars that aren't full of camp guys in Dublin?

Also, I am curious to know are there a lot of closeted guys in Ireland? My suspicion is that there is.

I would love to get responses from guys/girls out there that are in the closet and read about their experiences.

One day I would like to meet a nice guy that is not camp (no offense to those that are) that is similar age and has things in common with me. I am feeling very down as I'm writing this and sometimes I wonder am I destined to be alone.

you sound like me a few months ago. have to say that since i'm out it seems to me that most gay guys aren't camp at all. they are the minority of it all but it's just that there the most easily recognisable. give front lounge a try at least. you'll be surpirsed. most guys are in the same situation as you. just get out there and enjoy yourself:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Donnaghm

Aard wrote: »
    The recent Irish Times survey indicates that 4% of people in Ireland don't identify as straight. It may be simplistic of me, but I would wager that those 4% are gay. This of course doesn't include anybody who is actually gay, but doesn't feel comfortable saying so.

Conservatively, there are 325,000 males aged 20 to 29 in the country. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pyramidireland.gif) 4% of them is 13,000. Dublin has roughly a quarter of the country's population, leaving a grand total of 3,250 gay men in their twenties living in Dublin.

Now, bearing in mind that this is entirely unscientific, I would say that no more than 2,000 of them visit the bars, leaving a good thousand odd closet-like cases.

So to answer your question, OP: yes, there are many people your age who you will not find in the bars. Maybe not closet-cases, but certainly not advertising it.

</geek>

There's probably disproportionately more gays in Dublin and Cork given rural gay [like me] people's tendency to gravitate towards urban areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭electrobi

I haven't seen many "camp" guys in Dublin gay bars(apart from the drag queen entertainers) But the music is shhiite! Unless you like chart.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

come along to the queer beers on November 26th

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056030646

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Rick_

Believe me, your not the only one. We get a post like yours seemingly once a month around here, not long ago it was me posting the same sort of message as you - mid 20's, not into the scene, not big on campness, looking to chat/meet like-minded guys. The only guys your going to find online are virtual faces to chat to on MSN, if you want something more substantial then you're going to have to get out there and do something that doesn't require a keyboard.

Like Johnny mentioned above, why not come along to the next Queer Beers on November 26th? You'll get to meet plenty of fellow gays there from this forum, and maybe some of the other posters in particular who have left similar messages to yours and mine that you can chat to and see how things go. You could make some wonderful friends out of it and possibly even find a boyfriend too. But you have to start somewhere!

Paddy C wrote: »
    Believe me, your not the only one. We get a post like yours seemingly once a month around here, not long ago it was me posting the same sort of message as you - mid 20's, not into the scene, not big on campness, looking to chat/meet like-minded guys. The only guys your going to find online are virtual faces to chat to on MSN, if you want something more substantial then you're going to have to get out there and do something that doesn't require a keyboard.

Like Johnny mentioned above, why not come along to the next Queer Beers on November 26th? You'll get to meet plenty of fellow gays there from this forum, and maybe some of the other posters in particular who have left similar messages to yours and mine that you can chat to and see how things go. You could make some wonderful friends out of it and possibly even find a boyfriend too. But you have to start somewhere!

And how are you getting on now Paddy? You seem happy out anyway which is great to see.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm grand thanks Donnaghm, the last few months have been much more upbeat I must admit, and have been chatting to a few guys since then and just seeing how things go really. It is tough making that movement from the online world of chatting to guys to the real world meeting up and chatting, but there are so many wonderful guys out there, it is totally worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 souterrain300

Reading the replies is giving me hope. I know there are plenty of non-camp gay guys out there, a lot of them closeted a bit like me. As Paddy said, its a matter of doing something about it and making the effort.

I might try a gay bar soon and see if I am pleasantly surprised. As for queer beers, i'm not so sure. I'll think about it over the coming weeks.

What I kinda want is for guys who are in the closet to post here, simply saying something like "yeah i'm gay and in the closet". I think the more closeted guys/girls that come on here, the better.

Yeah, I'm gay and in the closet.

Well, some people know, so I'm more, 'half in half out' I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 boddd

Am 26 and am not out too, gets a bit depressing at times, feel I have wasted so much of my life already, am the same as you really, hate the thought of being alone, hard to find someone when you are in the closet, don't really like gaydar, hard to find a genuine guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

bodd <3 souterrain300 4ever
    :D:p

No but in all seriousness theres millions of you, its seems a sizable portion of people aren't out or in a position to be in relationships until they're above 22. You all need to go to queer beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

OP - there are loads of gay people in the closet - particularly people that have moved to Dublin from the country. There are many gay men and women that live with partners for years in Dublin, with their families being non the wiser. If you visited gay bars and chatted with other gay people, you would see this.

For most of them, it's not a big deal and for most other people, it's not a big deal that they are in the closet. In fact the whole gay thing isn't a big deal for most people under 35.

Mentioning that gay clubs are camp is a complete generalisation and I wish gays (closet or otherwise) wouldn't perpetuate this rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 souterrain300

You're right. Sorry for making that assumption about gay bars especially when I haven't been to one yet.

Joined gaydar recently and realised there are a lot of closeted guys on it!

You're right. Sorry for making that assumption about gay bars especially when I haven't been to one yet.

why do you need to talk to other closeted guys? When you say closeted - do you mean non scene?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I hate those profiles that look for people to meet up "discretely", "under the cover of darkness" etc. It's not the 1950's and it just seems seedy and depressing to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Donnaghm wrote: »
    I hate those profiles that look for people to meet up "discretely", "under the cover of darkness" etc. It's not the 1950's and it just seems seedy and depressing to me.
    I can only assume gaydar is full of mathematicians looking for one-night stands. ;)

• Advertisement

Aard wrote: »
    I can only assume gaydar is full of mathematicians looking for one-night stands. ;)

Omg, I just realised I've been spelling discreet incorrectly my entirre life. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

Sometimes readings these posts make me think are they not just a case of inverse homophobia!?

So what if people are camp it’s not Fu*king catching!!

Get over yourselves, if you don’t fancy camp guys then don’t sleep with them.

I’m not camp myself one bit nor is my partner but we still managed to meet one another in a club; where there were camp, butch, black, white, bi, trans, tv’s, drag queens, straight, on and on and on ……..

And yet we found each other without looking down our noses at TYPES of other people.
    It reminds me of the cast system in India! Or years ago in black clubs in the UK, they had what was known as the “brown paper bag test” and if you were darker then the bag, then NO admission!!! I’m not making it up and it still goes on in black culture today.

It’s your choice to stay in the closet but don’t do it cause your embarrasses about other people and how they choose to live their lives.

"Judge not and not be judged."

Sometimes people mistaken that all gays are camp because they're more noticeable to people; so they presume then, that’s the case for all.

When you blend no one can see you!

Myself, I embrace diversity... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

DubArk wrote: »
    So what if people are camp it’s not Fu*king catching!!
    Are you serious? :eek: I've avoided walking around George St for ages, don't want to catch the camp :D :rolleyes:

Seriously now, ok, campness is not my thing, I don't like camp guys, but that doesn't mean I will shoot them dead.

Besides, over the last few weeks my circle of gay friends has expanded dramatically, some of the guys are a bit camp, and I still would hang out with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I used to "not like" camp guys. Turns out it was my own insecurities really. I was afraid of being, or being seen as being, 'too gay'.

After coming out and gaining confidence in myself... turns out it's not contagious after all! :D I actually find a bit of campness attractive in a guy :)

But still can't stand pop music. Seriously. I've not mis-spent a youth listening to Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Radiohead just to end up in a fecking pop disco in my mid 20's. But each to their own!

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    why do you need to talk to other closeted guys? When you say closeted - do you mean non scene?

Oh, also... I'd totally resent being called closeted because I don't (often) go out on 'the scene'. A huge world of difference tbh.

Goodshape wrote: »
    Oh, also... I'd totally resent being called closeted because I don't (often) go out on 'the scene'. A huge world of difference tbh.
    I was trying to work out was the OP confusing the two

Terry Pratchet

Oh yeah, I know. Got the same impression and was going to ask myself but you got there first. Just wanted to nip it in the bud and point out that there is a difference in the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

Sorry to hear you're going through a hard time, OP.

You say you've joined Gaydar. It is a great resource, but take it with a pinch of salt.

There's nothing wrong with getting out there, seeing what the scene has to offer. It broadens your horizons and definitely makes you more comfortable with yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭jady88

hey weel ive read all the posts. I have recently started going out to bars and they are ok but the point is if all guys went there it would be better.... UCD student here message back if u want guys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭electrobi

I'm 28 and lead an ambiguous lifestyle. That is to say nobody asks whether or not my closet is open and I don't feel the need to tell them. However, queer beers sounds like fun :)

Advertisement