Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is PADI Rescue course worth the time/work

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭kuro2k

Einstein wrote: »
    Propoganda? okaaaaay....
    I'm an instructor for the past 9 years, also, like yourself, having the pleasure of working abroad...In particular locations and popular destinations - It's easier to dive abroad...It's more pleasurable...Less weight...lighter suits...better visibility...aluminium tanks...calmer conditions (in places)..far more beginner friendly.

You take a student who learns to hover(for example) in a typical holiday destination with all that taken into consideration and plonk him in Sandycove or a similar location - with a 14mil semi dry or a Drysuit / gloves / hood / more weight / heavier tanks / colder water and you tell me how well he or she will hover without a considerable amount of practice beforehand.

Flip the page, get the diver that learned in Sandycove over to Oz, and throw him or her into the ocean with minimal gear, they'll hover upside down, while singing Kum - ba - ya and feeding fish.

The danger with the Divemaster or professional learning in these conditions, is that they wrongfully assume that because they are great in the water in lovely calm conditions that they will be the same in Irish conditions, and that simply isn't true, until they've had time to adjust and practice in our waters.

As a matter of curiosity- why don't you do your TEC course in Ireland?

That quote is enough to tell me your diving has been restricted to the East coast, and you've never ventured to wexford / Cork / Achill / Donegal or Belfast. Ireland has been mentioned for some of the best greenwater diving in Europe. And yes, i totally admit that it's because it may not be as exciting as it is abroad, but I've known plenty of students that have simply said to me "it's too hard"...

Apologies, Its been a while since I check out this thread ............ It looks like i'm fighting a loosing battle ;-)

Well Einstein, I have over 1,000 hrs underwater, I am from Cork and I have spent a lot of long hrs diving of the S and SW coast. I really don't feel I need to prove anything and I certainly don't want to get into a pissing contest with anyone but from the experience I have gained over the years the only advice I can give to any OW or newbie to diving is that courses are better taken abroad in warm water and nothing will change that. Ireland is a great place to practice the skill learned abroad, if you can dive in Ireland you can more or less dive anywhere......... but it doesn't mean you have to do you courses here
    Scuba G wrote: »
    The idea of the Rescue is to push the diver past their comfort zone and to deal with and manage their stress and the stress around them. If you dive twice a year and feel you won’t benefit from doing the course, just think if you had a diving emergency and your buddy had felt the same way, that’s why we have Scuba Reviews and also wanting to keep your skills to date, as an Instructor I constantly reassess my skills and practice, you never stop learning.
    I’ve personally had students and buddies have issues underwater, I’ve been glad that the training I received stuck with me all these years and that student’s I have trained can go away feeling comfortable and confident in their diving. The Rescue is not a professional level certificate and isn’t implying that a diver less qualified is not competent in the water, it means they have the knowledge and ability to manage and assist in an emergency, both on land and in the water. You learn self rescue in your OW, the Rescue you learn to rescue others.....group hug!.

I think people need to realise (diving isn't rocket science) I've dived with a lot of OW divers with more confidence and knowledge than OWI over the years......... yea its scary, I know!!

Advertisement