Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble installing 2nd internal sata hard drive

Options
  • 23-10-2010 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hi,

I hope someone can help.

I have installed an 2nd internal sata hard drive on my old Dell Dimension DM051, pentium 4 cpu 3.00 ghz with 1 gb of ram. Running XP Media Centre Edition.

In the Device Manager window it appears to be installed correctly and in the device status it says "This device is working properly".

However, it don't seem to appear in the My Computer window. It only shows the first/original hard drive.

Why is that?

How can I access the drive?

Thanks,

Tap

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

You probably just need to partition it. Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Storage -> Disk Management. From there (assuming it shows up) just right click the drive and select new partition.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tap28

Thanks, did all that.

Its now formatting the drive for the last couple of hours as a "simple volume".

I can now see it in the My Computer, but it's saying the drive has 0 used space and 0 free space.

Should it take so long? and when done will the space issue be sorted?

Tap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

tap28 wrote: »
    Thanks, did all that.

Its now formatting the drive for the last couple of hours as a "simple volume".

I can now see it in the My Computer, but it's saying the drive has 0 used space and 0 free space.

Should it take so long? and when done will the space issue be sorted?

Tap

A full format will take a long time because it goes through the drive sector by sector (marking bad ones).

A quick format should only take a few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Has the formatting process finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tap28

Sorted!

It took a long time to format, once done everything working fine.

Thanks,

Tap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Full format also does a checkdisk which is painfully slow, You can use quick format and run checkdisk again if needed (probably not)

Advertisement