Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CNBC "reports" on Remmy 700 "safety issues"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

I was wondering when this "report" would find its way to the board.

In an overly-legitious society like the States, it is not suprising that the 700, having sold 5,000,000 units should face lawsuits. Given the units sold, the numbers actually look quite low.

The case they cite, indeed tragic, nevertheless neglects all good common safe practice. Whatever about the woman swearing her finger was off of the trigger: Why was the rifle loaded? Why was the bolt in the action? Why was the bolt racked and ready to fire?

As every good lawyer says: sue everyone -if you want to collect from anyone. If they have fat pockets, all the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭sharky0922

check out remington website, they have some interesting videos especially from manufacture line .
    there's the guy who loads remmy's and shoot them all day !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Old News? Eh?:confused:

As far as I can tell, CNBC first broadcast their report this Wednesday gone, 20th October, and the VP of Remington responded initially on the NRA News Channel NRA (USA) News later on the 20th October.

It's now 23rd October......

Not exactly old news, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

dCorbus wrote: »

As far as I can tell, CNBC first broadcast their report this Wednesday gone, 20th October, and the VP of Remington responded initially on the NRA News Channel NRA (USA) News later on the 20th October.

It was on facebook Remington fan page.
    http://www.facebook.com/remingtonarmscompany?ref=ts
    It's down to fellas having the sear polished and or extremely poor maintenance and safety practices.

Remington have come out hard and strong, but as everyone knows, if there was a problem the american Military LE or Joe public would have discovered it years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

hey tack read the link below,they got a police sniper to fire his rifle off by closing the bolt,but ithink the guy writing the article makes good points!
    http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/hunting/2010/10/petzal-different-look-remington-model-700-trigger

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

bazza888 wrote: »
    hey tack read the link below,they got a police sniper to fire his rifle off by closing the bolt,but ithink the guy writing the article makes good points!
    http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/hunting/2010/10/petzal-different-look-remington-model-700-trigger

Watch Remington's response, no Police department ever made any complaint.

It's a witch hunt trying to get money.
    If you read the whole article it gives out about Mauser actions, which have been in use for over 100 years.
    It blames the Trigger, however a Remington factory trigger comes out set @7lbs, so it had to be messed with, simple as that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

FTR I like Remmy 700's, I have had a few in different calibres.

We don't know the whole story, and everything man makes has the possibility to be imperfect. Remmington make whatever amount of rifles, do you asssume none of them have a mechanical problem?

Current Remmy 700's barrels from what I've seen are not as good as the "older" ones. I currently have a VSSF 1, previously I had a VSSF 2 that wasn't nearly as accurate, both are/were .220 Swift by the way using the same ammo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

dCorbus wrote: »

Yes - old news. Years and decades old as a matter of fact and as reported by CNBC.

The reporters may be new. The report may be new. But the news is definitely old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

Watch Remington's response, no Police department ever made any complaint.

It's a witch hunt trying to get money.
    If you read the whole article it gives out about Mauser actions, which have been in use for over 100 years.
    It blames the Trigger, however a Remington factory trigger comes out set @7lbs, so it had to be messed with, simple as that

Yeah the old triggers on the rem 700 came out with 7lbs pull,but the newer X-pro trigger comes 4-5lbs factory setting,but can be adjusted down to 2-2-1\2lbs.I have one on my new rem 700 SPS V in 308.
    :D

Advertisement