Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

locksmith in kilkenny

• 23-10-2010 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

i have lost the keys for my backdoor in kilkenny. i am assuming i will need a locksmith to get this sorted does anyone know/recommend one?

is it possible to get a lock out of a door by diy?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Moved to DIY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭altor

Depending on the lock installed it is only a matter of drilling the lock where the key goes in. This will let you twist the barrel to open the door. There is a screw holding in the lock you will see when you open the door. If you are replacing the lock I would recommend you replace it with a anti snap lock. Much more secure, but dont loose the keys if you fit one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭marcofan

thanks for the reply so to clarify i simply drill into where the key would go. do i go all the way through?when i have drilled the lock i will be able to open the door?replacing the old lock is simple enough i have done that before its the drilling bit i am worried about

All you are doing is drilling far enough in to break the pins of the lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭marcofan

forgive the simplicity of my question but how will i know how far to go to break the pins?

• Advertisement

Just over half way, you will see the pins break.

Advertisement