Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water stain in ceiling

• 23-10-2010 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

I have one of those stains in the ceiling that I think every Irish home has. It's a brown stain from whatever happened once years ago upstairs when something leaked. Anyway does anybody know how to cover it. I was told to use gloss paint first and then paint over it with emulsion but i did this before in my last house and you could see the difference. Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I have one of those stains in the ceiling that I think every Irish home has. It's a brown stain from whatever happened once years ago upstairs when something leaked. Anyway does anybody know how to cover it. I was told to use gloss paint first and then paint over it with emulsion but i did this before in my last house and you could see the difference. Any help greatly appreciated.

Any diy store will have small tins and aerosol cans of stop stain paint.

A quick spray or paint over the stain with the stop stain paint or spray,leave if for a few hours to dry and set in,and then you can paint over it with normal paint,and the stain will never re-appear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

b.i.n. prime it then give it a couple of coats of emulsion.you will probably have to coat the whole ceiling with the emulsion or you will notice the touched up patch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Thanks Lads. Will have a look tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭handydandy

You will definitely have to paint the whole ceiling so it all matches. Worth doing for the long term.

Advertisement