Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salle de conversation pour s'améliorer votre français

• 23-10-2010 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭

J'ai un idée novateur. J'ai créé un groupe de chat pour s'améliorer notre Français. Personnellement, je pense que cela nous aidera à augmenter notre vocabulaire et spontanéité dans l'examen oral. Si vous vous souvenez, j'ai eu un salon Ventrillo l'année dernière. Peut être, je vais l'ouvrir encore.

A l'anglais:

I know that there's probably a few mistakes in that above paragraph but that's what this room is for right? :D

I've an idea that's been spurred from an attempt I made last year to create a Ventrillo chat room to practice speaking french. It wasn't all that popular (Maybe people didn't feel confident enough to speak in French to people they hardly knew).
    Anyway, I've decided to do the same thing again this year but this time it'll be a text based chat room where all conversation is carried out in French. We can point out our mistakes and through this we'll all be helping ourselves improve our French grammar, vocabulary and spontaneity which definitely helps in the Oral exam. Then perhaps around January-March, I could re-open the Ventrillo room and we could hold actual oral conversations in French.

All levels of french welcome of course. (Even Junior Cert or people not doing their Leaving Cert)

Update 25th Jan 2011

A voice solution has now been set up. No registration required and nowhere near as involved a process as using a ventrilo server.

You just push the button and talk... Text supported as well.

Alors, allez et parlons Francais.

https://voxli.com/LCFrench

Just to inform people of the times, the room is open 24 hours a day but I predict activity will be highest from around 7PM onwards each day. If people wish to come earlier or later they can feel free to do so.

It's recommended that you have a Mic as the room is now shifting primarily to voice chat rather than text chat. That said, text chat is still available and if you wish to communicate by text only then that's fine too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭fleeflyfloflum

A little quiet yet, but a very good idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Your french is brilliant by the way. Especially for someone only in 5th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

C est une bonne idea!

i l y a 40 annes depuis ma Leaving Cert et ma langue francais est le meme.

Rugbyman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

tres bonne idée
    just went on myself

tres bonne idée
    just went on myself
    Join the conversation! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭doctorg

Je suis d'accord avec cette affirmation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

I think it would be better if you scheduled a time for the chat or something, otherwise there's never going to be enough people there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

transition year over here and i won't have stable internet connection for another few days but when i do, i'll hope in and see what's going down. looks like an interesting learning idea.

I think it would be better if you scheduled a time for the chat or something, otherwise there's never going to be enough people there.
    True, i've been monitoring the room all day and it's active at least once per hour. But it'd be much more beneficial to have many more people at the same time.

We'd need a vote of some sort to get a time that's suitable for as many people as possible. I'd say 7PM daily sounds good.

And in case people were wondering, you needn't be a boards member (Or even be still in school) to take part in this chat. So feel free to share the link and Google Talk address for the room anywhere you please. The more people that use the room, the more useful it becomes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

rugbyman wrote: »
    C est une bonne idea!

i l y a 40 annes depuis ma Leaving Cert et ma langue francais est le meme.

Rugbyman

excusez-moi pour mon pére, il est mal á la tete dans sa vieillesse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Be honest now....how many people here are using Google translate?

No one yet by the looks of it. Its easy to tell e.g. having accent graves and circumflexes and strange sentence structure is a big giveaway. I know my OP has accent graves and circumflexes but that's because I ran it through a spell checker to add them :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

No one yet by the looks of it. Its easy to tell e.g. having accent graves and circumflexes and strange sentence structure is a big giveaway. I know my OP has accent graves and circumflexes but that's because I ran it through a spell checker to add them :pac:

Tres bon.

Jaafa wrote: »
    Tres bon.

Très bon ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

Ah oui oui, je l'utilise quand je suis sur l'intérnet bien sur!

c'est tout pour le moment,
    Á tout á l'heure!
    Patri.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

Apart from the murder plots, c'est un bonne ideé..! :p

Ciaramb92 wrote: »
    Apart from the murder plots, c'est un bonne ideé..! :p
    Il est "craic" immense non? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

ah it's making my internet freeze
    je suis triste :(:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

Il est "craic" immense non? :D

Bien sur..! :P

• Advertisement

Ok everyone, we've organised a set time for this chat room. Every day at 7pm seems to suit most people. Not too early, not too late and if you miss one day there's always the next. Obviously it's not compulsory and there's no need to join in every day.

Parlons Francais!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

C'est une idée geniale! J'espere que je serai la de temps en temps.

I know I haven't set a great example myself for December and the latter half of November but that was due to me having to deal with my UCAS application, my Christmas exams, the bulk of my Engineering project and the snow didn't help either. Therefore i'm re-launching this room. The mocks are closing in fast and the orals are looming and this is an excellent way to improve.

As I said earlier

For those interested, the chat room is available here (No registration necessary)

Allez! Parlons Francais!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Went on there now. Come join us!

A voice solution has now been set up. No registration required and nowhere near as involved a process as using a ventrilo server.

You just push the button and talk... Text supported as well.

Alors, allez et parlons Francais.

Live now.

I would ask everyone interested to use the Voxli room rather than chatterous. It is much more versatile. 8 people online now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Party, do you want me to edit the link in the first post / tidy it up elsewhere if there's confusion?

Party, do you want me to edit the link in the first post / tidy it up elsewhere if there's confusion?
    Yeah, thanks!

Just to inform people of the times, the room is open 24 hours a day but I predict activity will be highest from around 7PM onwards each day. If people wish to come earlier or later they can feel free to do so.

It's recommended that you have a Mic as the room is now shifting primarily to voice chat rather than text chat. That said, text chat is still available and if you wish to communicate by text only then that's fine too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

J'ai un idée novateur. J'ai créé un groupe de chat pour s'améliorer notre Français. Personnellement, je pense que cela nous aidera à augmenter notre vocabulaire et spontanéité dans l'examen oral. Si vous vous souvenez, j'ai eu un salon Ventrillo l'année dernière. Peut être, je vais l'ouvrir encore.
    Utilisez-vous Google Translate?
    I'm seriously impressed and scared at how good your level of French is.

• Advertisement

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Utilisez-vous Google Translate?
    I'm seriously impressed and scared at how good your level of French is.
    Not really. I only use it as a dictionary as it's much more efficient than most online dictionaries. My written french and my french comprehension is pretty ok to be honest. My oral French is absolutely abysmal though.

Advertisement