Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Dead Xbox slim - I can just bring it back to shop right?

• 23-10-2010 9:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

So the front fascia of my 3 month Xbox 360 is dead. It powers up if I plug in the controller with the charge cable but the wireless to the controller seems dead too so it sits in the menu and i can't get into the game. grrr.

anyway, no RROD or whatever. I only have the console 3 months, have the receipt and box etc. I assume i can bring it back to HMW for a replacement? I don't want to have to send it back to Microsoft etc.

edit: did a bit of searching for similar threads and it seems i should be able to walk into the shop for a replacement.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

You've a years warranty, with the store it was bought from. They can try to send you back to Microsoft but you can demand a replacement from them. Though if you go to MS you also get a Live sub if I'm not mistaken?

What exactly is the problem your having though? It sounds more like a controller problem than an XBOX problem...you say it's only powering up with the controller plugged in...as in it won't power up AT ALL any other way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

niallon wrote: »
    You've a years warranty, with the store it was bought from. They can try to send you back to Microsoft but you can demand a replacement from them. Though if you go to MS you also get a Live sub if I'm not mistaken?

What exactly is the problem your having though? It sounds more like a controller problem than an XBOX problem...you say it's only powering up with the controller plugged in...as in it won't power up AT ALL any other way?
    u cant demand anything, shop had to see the fault before they replace it and if its only happening the odd time chances are they wont replace instead they will sens for analysis!!
    my advice would be to stay composed when dealing with the store as itl help youe chances of an immediate solution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

u cant demand anything, shop had to see the fault before they replace it and if its only happening the odd time chances are they wont replace instead they will sens for analysis!!
    my advice would be to stay composed when dealing with the store as itl help youe chances of an immediate solution

Probably used the wrong words there, I wasn't suggesting going in to them all guns blazing, just that they will try to pawn you off to MS immediately and don't let them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Well it seems i've managed to bring it to life again.

The whole fascia seemed to be dead. It would power up using the controller plugged in but there were no lights and the eject and power buttons didn't work.

Had begun packing it up when i realised i needed to get the DVD out of the tray. Performed the old paper clip trick and whipped out the disc.

Decided to give it one more try and re-connected the power. Lights back on and power switch working again.

Weird thing is now the 'beep' doesn't work when you hit the buttons on the front.

I still think I'll bring it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Bi6N

Bring it back mate, you're well in your rights.
    If the store kicks up fuss and won't help you, Xbox will send it for repair.

Fingers crossed for you fella.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

The store has an obligation under EU law to refund or replace it for you
    http://www.wak-tt.com/tt/2yearwarranty1.htm
    All goods have a 2 year warranty under EU law if there is an inherent fault in the product (ie not your fault that caused this - dropping the slim accidently). Your beef is with the shop under this law. just mention the law to them, and get a new slim or your money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

whiteman19 wrote: »
    The store has an obligation under EU law to refund or replace it for you

Or a repair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Or a repair.
    Hes right, shops are under no obligation to replace it or give a refund

Advertisement