Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jerry Bridges

• 23-10-2010 9:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭

Had a lovely session this morning with Jerry Bridges at the Irish Biblical Reformation Conference, Lurgan. He's 80, but still going strong. Today's message was, according to him, the chapter he wished he had added to his classic, The Pursuit of Holiness : http://www.amazon.com/Pursuit-Holiness-Jerry-Bridges/dp/0891099409

A few points:
    We do not relate to God today by our own obedience - still only by faith in Christ:
    Galatians 2:20I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

Justification a present reality - not a performance based relationship.

Embracing the gospel of justification doctrine is necessary for our encouragement. Lack of love comes from our failure to recognise how much God loves us. The desire for holiness comes from contemplating God's goodness to us, especially in our justification.

God is pleased with 'Want to' obedience, not 'Ought To' obedience. Old type watch analogy: The gospel, not obedience the mainspring of the Christian life. The gospel has to be wound-up in our hearts every day. The gospel is the motivation to obedience.

Self-effort fails, but so also the passive 'Let Go and Let Jesus'. DEPENDANT RESPONSIBILITY is the key. We must do, but in the Spirit's power. Not some ability in us and some in Him - all in Him, none in us.

John 15:4Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. 5“I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.
    'Abide' means to rely on. On Him, not just on the means of prayer and study.
    Romans 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, 4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

His book "The Discipline of Grace" is also excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭SonOfAdam

Jerry Bridges has also written a daily devotional 'Holiness Day by Day' available here , made up of exerpts from a number of his books, including those mentioned above. We could all do with a little of his understanding of grace.

Advertisement