Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Fishing at Harbour Gates...

Options
  • 23-10-2010 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

I would like to duscuss something I seen today. I went to the harbour Gates to do a bit of fishing, the mackeral are very plentiful this week. The Harbour master has erected 6 foot high fencing with signs up saying "training operation in progress".. "no fishing".. "diving area only".. My point is why on earth he has done this??.. Fishermen by their nature are conservationists and are not going to litter or throw objects into the water. I think its a disgrace!! :mad: However there may be a perfectly realistic reason for it. For the record I love the docks area and am delighted its going to be expanded/developed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Unfortunately a lot of the areas where people fish in Galway are left in a disgraceful state.

The perfect example is the end of Nimmos Pier, where each evening there is a huge amount of bottles and cans thrown around, along with a pile of fish heads (which could have been thrown into the water for fish, gulls and seals to feed on).

You can also see a large amount of cans and bottles bob past you there while you are fishing, coming from around the Claddagh Hall and the Spanish Arch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

"training operation in progress".. "no fishing".. "diving area only"

Well i assume its because they dont want some fisher to land themselves a 180lb diver!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Fishermen by their nature are conservationists and are not going to litter or throw objects into the water.

Hah, easy up there with the pat on the back generalisations.
    I've gotten hooked multiple times from discarded lines, removed cans from people fishing along the canal, and have removed hooks and lines on many an occasion from trees and bushes.
    Bloody nuisance. Conservationists? Pah, they're as much conservationists are as hikers or football players or cyclists, you've got respectful and messy people in every walk of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have personally removed fish hooks & line from seals, countless birds especially swans, an otter, & one of my dogs !.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

why not give them a ring on Tuesday...091561874 or 091562329, there may be a 100% rational reason ;)

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

There are perfectly good reasons for the signs and barriers there as one who knows, they are doing repairs around the gates and the steel stairs and underwater etc its nothing to do with fishing, and if it was and you were not allowed to fish there so what its a docks.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Michael Angelo.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    There are perfectly good reasons for the signs and barriers there as one who knows, they are doing repairs around the gates and the steel stairs and underwater etc its nothing to do with fishing, and if it was and you were not allowed to fish there so what its a docks.

My apologies I was not specific in my location, it was not "the docks" it may well be water in the pilotage area of the harbour master I do not know but it is the area to the open sea side of the dock gates.

Thank you most kindly for your insightful and helpful post Storm 10.

I just checked there and the definition of docks is Dock (maritime), an area of water for building or repairing or loading and unloading ships or ferries. None of the above takes place in area im talking about. :D

Advertisement