Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EUROPEAN DUATHLON CHAMPS

• 23-10-2010 10:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭

I just seen on the Triathlon Ireland site LIMERICK is to stage the 2010 European Duathlon,
    Well done to Limerick Tri Club and Triathlon Ireland,

Now to try and qualify :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Ceepo wrote: »
    I just seen on the Triathlon Ireland site LIMERICK is to stage the 2010 European Duathlon,

Fair play to Limerick Tri and those invloved.

Qualification could be trickey alright..... You'll need to know how to read, write, seal a letter and give credit card details. If you can master that you should be ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Ceepo

DULLAHAN2 wrote: »

OOPS, I'm alway's a bit behind,

Bambaata
    Might manage the read write, seal bit, credit card might be a little harder,
    Also the small thing of making top 5 in age group in qualifying race,
    Maybe for a quality athlete like you're self i believe, might be no problem, as for me, wishful thinking
    BUT might give it a go,
    Would be nice to put on the Irish Gear

Im just saying its highly unlikely that anyone going for a spot wouldnt get it. Ireland is generally under subscribed for the slots.

Bambaata wrote: »
    Im just saying its highly unlikely that anyone going for a spot wouldnt get it. Ireland is generally under subscribed for the slots.

Just taught on home soil there would be a lot of people going for it, as the no's are increasing by so much every year, Something like 1,700 newer member's in TI in 2010

Will you be going for it yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭cantswim

Bambaata wrote: »
    Fair play to Limerick Tri and those invloved.

Qualification could be trickey alright..... You'll need to know how to read, write, seal a letter and give credit card details. If you can master that you should be ok

Agreed. Not sure if it'll be the 20 slots per ag as per euro champs tri or worlds Tri champs but either way don't see anyone not getting a spot.

you'd be very unlucky not to get a spot. even athlone euro champs this year was undersubscribed in all the AGs i can see. I'm not sure yet. I'll have to see how the overall calendar works out. have just two races in mind so far so it'll depend on others.

Time to dust off the High Nellie:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

cantswim wrote: »
    Agreed. Not sure if it'll be the 20 slots per ag as per euro champs tri or worlds Tri champs but either way don't see anyone not getting a spot.

According to TI website, there'll be 25 slots per AG - 10 from national series rankings 2010, 5 overseas based and then 10 from one race yet to be announced (maybe one of the Limerick Tri Club duathlons early in year?).

Duathlons on offer in Ireland seem quite short on distance in comparison to euros 10/40/10. Surely the selection race would be more representative of the longer distance and have at least one 10k run???

Dont no if the distance is changed for 2011 as the TI web page suggest's as the 2010 Euro and World Champ's was 10k 40k 5k, maybe mistake,..

Agree with you Gringo78 about the distance but as far as i no there is only 1 race in Ireland at that distance,

This Is a CLUB event and the National Champs were held in conjunction with it,

I dont think Triathlon Ireland have Championship stand alone races like say Athletics or Cycling where the are hosted by a club.

I think Triathlon Club's look to host the championship when they submit there Request to hold a race,

Should the National Series Ranking's be taken into account as there is no national series for Duathlon, Might be a few people out there that have not done the Triathlon series during the year. (just a question) If for any reason you cant make the sanctioned race your up the sh888er,

2010 qualifying there was there was 3 races in different locations around the country to choose from

Seems a bit fairer
    (to me)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

mmmmm interesting, think I might give this a go actually, I was looking for something around that time of year to test how effective/ineffective my base training was. I was thinking connemara half mar but this would be a tougher test and more specific to triathlon, plus another chance to pull on the IRL trisuit :) Luckily I got 10th spot in my AG this year so I'll just have to apply but as Bambatta said there won't be a problem gettig a slot i'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

OOPS, I'm alway's a bit behind,

Bambaata
    Might manage the read write, seal bit, credit card might be a little harder,
    Also the small thing of making top 5 in age group in qualifying race,
    Maybe for a quality athlete like you're self i believe, might be no problem, as for me, wishful thinking
    BUT might give it a go,
    Would be nice to put on the Irish Gear

Generally everyone who wants to go to these events gets to.
    Also generally anyone who goes to one of these events never wants to go to another.

Can see a nice spin off thread here "Is AG racing representing your country?"

tunney wrote: »
    Also generally anyone who goes to one of these events never wants to go to another.

Why dont they want to go again, ??

Yes i think it is. Do you not ???:confused:

I was part of the AG team in Athlone and Budapest this year and my experience, especially in Budapest, has left me hungry for more! It was all a novelty for me, traveling abroad to race and so on, also the support was amazing and racing in such a beautiful city, crossing the iconic Chain Bridge a few times really was something special. I'm so thankful for that opportunity. Next year in Beijing I believe the bike course takes in part of the great wall-how cool would that be!

Look, my point is some may never want to do it again but I would say only a minority, while I wouldn't/couldn't do it every year I certainly hope to do it again sometime. Granted it is relatively easy to get a place on the team, you still wouldn't want to be on the starting line without being a decent competitor because the standard is very high and you really do feel that if you are not firing on all you could finish last in your AG!

That brings me to the real reason I'm considering the Euro Duathlon Champs. It is for a selfish reason, not because I am super patriotic! I feel the more you can race/test yourself in a high quality field the better. It certainly pushed me to perform better than I imagined I could in Athlone and Budapest. I would like a decent test around that time, nearing the end of what I hope to be a solid, consistent period of base training.

IMO yes. The thing that I love about triathlon is that (in general) there doesn't seem to be an air of elitism, unlike in running clubs and cycling clubs. So I think AG racing gives a good cross section of those in each country, that love the sport a chance to represent their country. Sure they may not be the best of the best but, it's something to aim for, something attainable in your first few years. It would be boring if getting a higher NS rank was your only motivation year after year.....until you feel ready for going longer.

It's a question I'd like Conor Murphy or Matt Molloy to answer. Although I certainly wouldn't like to be the one asking it!!

I would have to agree with you El Director,

If you can make the standard set down by the National Governing Body be it TI, Athletics, Cycling, or any other sport, Then whats the Problem,

Tunney Does that mean that you don't think as an AG YOU DON'T REPRESENT YOUR COUNTRY,
    Does this apply also to the Team for the up coming Masters International Cross Country in Santry,
    I would not like to be the one to tell them

If it only serves as a reason to train or a target to aim for and it brings the standard of Everybody up then it has a Place IMO,

I would think when you are competing in the Irish Gear and someone that does not know you shouts COME ON IRELAND you would feel you are REPRESENTING IRELAND,

Some people would kill to have a chance,

BUT AS USUAL, THERE WILL ALWAYS BE KNOCKERS HAVING A CHEAP SNIPE, KNOCKERS FOR THE SAKE OF KNOCKERS !!
    GROW A PAIR OF B**LS AND MAN UP

If you can make the standard set down by the National Governing Body be it TI, Athletics, Cycling, or any other sport, Then whats the Problem,

Tunney Does that mean that you don't think as an AG YOU DON'T REPRESENT YOUR COUNTRY,

Honestly - no I don't its representing your country.
    Does this apply also to the Team for the up coming Masters International Cross Country in Santry,
    I would not like to be the one to tell them

Not speaking for athletics.
    If it only serves as a reason to train or a target to aim for and it brings the standard of Everybody up then it has a Place IMO,

Sure does have a place - to generate money for the NGBs to subsidise the Elite race.
    I would think when you are competing in the Irish Gear and someone that does not know you shouts COME ON IRELAND you would feel you are REPRESENTING IRELAND,

Some people would kill to have a chance,

They don't need to kill to have a chance, or even train, just pay.
    BUT AS USUAL, THERE WILL ALWAYS BE KNOCKERS HAVING A CHEAP SNIPE, KNOCKERS FOR THE SAKE OF KNOCKERS !!
    GROW A PAIR OF B**LS AND MAN UP

Not at all a cheap snipe, a considered opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Its still representing your country Tunney. Yes the standard, elite subsidary, application process etc.. does dilute the feeling of representation or honour. Now what would it take to make the US, UK or AUS AG teams? Are you judging the representation on how hard the graft is? As Ceepo mentioned XC Masters or how about Swimming Masters.. its all representative of this country. So what if its 'only' AG level. As cheap as you may feel that form of representation is, I can assure you as El Director said, it felt very real running across the Chain Bridge in Budapest in September. Was Conor Murphy not representing Ireland when he beat every other age grouper out of sight for a Gold Medal? When he stood on the stand afterwards holding up an Irish Flag... I certainly believed it :)

Its still representing your country Tunney. Yes the standard, elite subsidary, application process etc.. does dilute the feeling of representation or honour. Now what would it take to make the US, UK or AUS AG teams? Are you judging the representation on how hard the graft is? As Ceepo mentioned XC Masters or how about Swimming Masters.. its all representative of this country. So what if its 'only' AG level. As cheap as you may feel that form of representation is, I can assure you as El Director said, it felt very real running across the Chain Bridge in Budapest in September. Was Conor Murphy not representing Ireland when he beat every other age grouper out of sight for a Gold Medal? When he stood on the stand afterwards holding up an Irish Flag... I certainly believed it :)

Its the internet, you're not going to agree with everyone on it and you're not going to convince everyone of the validity of your opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Its the internet, you're not going to agree with everyone on it and you're not going to convince everyone of the validity of your opinion.

aye 'tis true that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Ah here lads, that's no way to end a disagreement on the internet. Your supposed to argue over and over again for multiple pages.

I can see boths sides of it and agree somewhat with both sides. Your definately representing your country but only against some of the best AG triathletes in the world who could afford/were bothered to go. I'm not sure that there is any point in having an AG champs for ages under 40. Your either good enough to be an elite and wear the green or your not. Am I good enough to represent my country at anything. No.

Maybe if there was more strict qualification criteria and there was only a couple of spots per age group it might make it more of an accolade (But then there wouldn't be as much $$$ made).

• Advertisement

nomadic wrote: »
    (But then there wouldn't be as much $$$ made).

We wouldnt have the elite races like we have them then though. I dont mind them funding it cos i like watching the races online. I doubt they could afford that kind of facility if it wasnt funded through the AGer's

I see both sides too. 40+ has some merit alright. Like a proper masters event.

Being honest i felt a great buzz at the Euro Duathlon champ last year but i didnt get that same buzz at either Athlone or Budapest. I still very much enjoyed them though (Not so much Athlone maybe, cos i died a death :p !!)

Qualification criteria has changed for this event as of this week....

http://www.triathlonireland.com/age-group-2011.html#etuduaeurochamp

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TriBarry

I turned 39 in October, which leaves me 39 on 31st December 2010, 35-39 AGE GROUP.
    As this is a qualifier for a 2011 race and by 31st December 2011, I will be 40(yikes!), 40-44 AGE GROUP......
    Which category do I select if doing either of the December Qualification Races? 35-39 or 40-44?
    Either way, I feel I have a chance of a qualifying slot in both age groups, however I feel it will be quite different next April come the Limerick race.
    Any help before I enter would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

REPRESENTING IRELAND,

Well there's a problem this year with the cancellation of the Limerick qualifier in that there's no actual standard to meet.

If you entered that race you can now just apply and get on the team, except for a few over-subscribed age groups where you'll still get in if not every one applies.

So really you must apply some standard to yourself. How slow would you have to be to just be taking the p*ss applying for a spot?

I got the Triathlon Ireland email about applying for a spot since I entered the Limerick duathlon.

I'd love to get a spot, but that would be far outweighed by the feeling that I shouldn't be there, that it would be ridiculous for me to get a spot looking at the 10k times in these events (for the record I have one year's training with recent 41 min 10k and 19:30 min 5k PBs, and I'm in the 35-39 AG).

What standard should one set oneself for these events in this case?

Dont worry about your times. Even with a "qualifying" race the slots wont fill up and whoever applies will get a slot. If you feel you want to do the race go for it. You'll enjoy it if you are there to enjoy it and yes while there will be super fast guys, most wont be and you're run times would be more than ok for a decent finish.

(Just make sure you realise the race can be quite expensive if you dont already have the appropriate trisuit etc)

Advertisement