Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phil Anselmo ...live = crap

Options
  • 23-10-2010 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭

just listening to the new Down live dvd , its great great songs on it and all the rest, but how bad is phil anselmo live, in the studio he's awesome cant think of one album where he's not on fire, but jesus he is piss poor live and has been since pantera were touring reinventing the steel, i'm not looking for x-factor note perfect singing but christ a bit better than soundin like a drunk'll do...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

what region is the dvd?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Kieran81 wrote: »
    he is piss poor live and has been since pantera were touring reinventing the steel
    I beg to differ. I saw Down at Download 2006 and Phil's performance was outstanding. Even though they were the first band on stage (I think they started at 11:30 in the morning) his performance had a power and energy to it that put most of the other frontmen I saw that weekend to shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Basing this opinion on one performance is a tad harsh!

(In other words, lay off my Anselmo! :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

He's a rock god, a true frontman. The one who sets the bar for every other front man in Metal. As he said himself (the cocky little bastard) "I'm up there with the Robert Plant's and the Ozzy Osbourne's", cocky, but undeniably true. I find him to be absolutely grand live.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Malice_ wrote: »
    I beg to differ. I saw Down at Download 2006 and Phil's performance was outstanding. Even though they were the first band on stage (I think they started at 11:30 in the morning) his performance had a power and energy to it that put most of the other frontmen I saw that weekend to shame.

Lucky that they were on so early then and he didn't have a full day to.....indulge?

Back in '98 or '99 i was lucky enough to see Pantera play twice within a few weeks. The first gig was a headlining slot at The Dynamo Festival in Holland and Phil was fcukin awful, he was so hammered, falling all over the place, forgetting the words etc.
    2 weeks later he was on top form as they owned The Milton Keynes Bowl at Ozzfest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

the dvd is songs from a european tour , not just one show in particular, and anyway the penny just dropped watchin this one his performances have been pretty poor ...in my opinion... for ages. sure he's a great frontman but so are plenty of others and when you hear them on live albums there still real sharp, chuck billy on testaments "live at the fillmore" mickael aekerfelt on opeths "roundhouse tapes" dave mustaine , bruce dickinson there always great singers live just a few from a broad range of singin in metal, listen to phil on 101proof slurrin through "this love" or any time i've heard him try to sing "floods" live or "stone the crow" or "jail" on this down dvd and tell me he's up there wit them is laughable to me anyways

wonder if him having one of his better days at download had anything to do wit them being on at that hour of the morning:p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

scudzilla wrote: »
    Lucky that they were on so early then and he didn't have a full day to.....indulge?
    wonder if him having one of his better days at download had anything to do wit them being on at that hour of the morning:p

Funny how you both came to the same conclusion separately :). It's quite possible the early performance contributed to his grumpiness which he then channeled into his performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

that and the fact he could still stand lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

Saw Pantera years ago in the point supporting Megadeth now that was a great gig-phil was superb:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

i saw down 3 times. in 08', twice in 09', cant say he sung a bad song

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I thought the whole band was excellent in 2008 and 2009 in Dublin. Phil was great vocally and his energy was fantastic, as was his crowd interaction. Phil had knee surgery in April 2009 so maybe he wasn't feeling the best during some parts of the tour?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Nodferatu wrote: »
    i saw down 3 times. in 08', twice in 09', cant say he sung a bad song

I've seen them 8 times and totally agree, not once has he ever disappointed. He's been wasted onstage a few times, and went on the odd rant, but vocally has always been excellent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

In fairness who gives a crap abt Down :eek:
    i was there at Pantera in Dublin when they were in their prime touring a vulgar display of power :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

In fairness who gives a crap abt Down :eek:
    i was there at Pantera in Dublin when they were in their prime touring a vulgar display of power :p

Down are class!! Boo-urns!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

but jesus he is piss poor live and has been since pantera were touring reinventing the steel

I don't know, I know a lot of his troubles started when he broke two ribs and had to cancel a tour, and then became hooked to painkillers. It also affected his voice at the time...but although I've never heard him live I can't say I have ever heard a bad word spoken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

in 92 i went to a megadeth gig in the point with some other band opening
    i left a lifelong fan of phil live

Advertisement