Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New NCTS VRT rates? Beware!

Options
  • 23-10-2010 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Just alerting anyone who's getting a car from the UK or an imported car. Before getting the car in, make sure you have your ROS vrt Calculator sheet with you for the exact car you are getting or else unlike the Revenue Office, you may be bound to pay whatever the staffs at the NCT Centre throw to you. It's shocking the amount they charge and their lack of knowledge in the cars customers bring in! I wonder why they are handling the VRT.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

Any specific recent examples including model makes types years milage condition and other important factors to verify this heads up

Its not that we dought you but without some numbers to compare its maybe just a rant of some sort

Derry

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gabbo57

you do know the staff in nct don't dictate the rates don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

derry wrote: »
    Any specific recent examples including model makes types years milage condition and other important factors to verify this heads up

Its not that we dought you but without some numbers to compare its maybe just a rant of some sort

Derry

Run a search on this forum...

Its well documented ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 oisineil

I'm not making a rant here. I had my quote printed out from the ROS VRT Enquiry site for the exact car I bought. NCTS quoted me almost €500 more than what I expected. Eventually they agreed so I paid what was on my printout. The shocking part was the staffs apologizing that they thought the car was one with a lower bhp that was why I got a higher quote!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

That ^^^^ doesnt make any sense. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 oisineil

Berty, I eventually paid what was on my printout, about €1600. NCTS initially quoted me over €2000 thinking my car was one with a lower bhp! Which is quite unusual, I thought the rule is the higher the bhp, the more you get charged on your VRT!
    The point I'm making here is that if you don't have a printout from the ROS VRT site, you may end up paying whatever NCTS ask you to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

oisineil wrote: »
    I thought the rule is the higher the bhp, the more you get charged on your VRT!

Not in Ireland :D

The sh1ttier the car is with the smaller the engine, the more it is worth over here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

The VRT rate is Emmissions based (and "open market selling price" based).
    There is no direct connection with Bhp.

Also, as someone else here pointed out, search boards.ie for other threads on the mess that the NCT crowd are making of the VRT scheme...nobody yet has posted to say that they have saved a significant sum compared to the VRT Revenue quote, but a lot of people have seen a demand for thousands more than they were quoted.

Advertisement