Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kinect poll to see how many boardsies are picking this up straight away?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

ill be waiting for better games and to see if this really has potential
    So of those early adopters, what games are people here getting with it? I'm waiting til tomorrow to see metacritic reviews on everything.

Dance Central and Your Shape.

Possibly more pending reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Need to see a review of Kinect Sports, if it has a ton of extra modes for each event I'll take one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

not going near this at all..
    Need to see a review of Kinect Sports, if it has a ton of extra modes for each event I'll take one.

Does anyone know if the games are region coded (e.g. Kinect adventures)? If I was in the states $149 is much cheaper than the €149 price in Europe, and might be more tempting. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

The Soccer is really babyish, but my God it's tremendous fun. Don't expect FIFA whatever you do. Although it's Be a Goalie mode is actually far better than FIFA. Wasn't any lag that I could see.

i actually really liked the football too, it was the best thing i played with kinect but in saying that you're not gonna play it for hours. everything else was either ok or meh. the only game im kinda interested in is dance central.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

This is out tomorrow in America but I haven't seen one review of the product or games online thats a bit worrying at least they sent the device & games out in plenty of time for Reviews. Anyone think Mirrors Edge would work well on Kinect bought it recently & its a title that could be very good if made right. Would love to see Sam & Max and Monkey Island on Kinect i'd definetly buy one then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,874 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

GTR63 wrote: »
    This is out tomorrow in America but I haven't seen one review of the product or games online thats a bit worrying at least they sent the device & games out in plenty of time for Reviews. Anyone think Mirrors Edge would work well on Kinect bought it recently & its a title that could be very good if made right. Would love to see Sam & Max and Monkey Island on Kinect i'd definetly buy one then.
    reviews will be out tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

ShaneU wrote: »
    reviews will be out tomorrow

Might be cancelling my bundle order based on the first few reviews I've read. (sorry on phone can't link). It's described as slow, misintepreting gestures,
    awkward menus, need 8-9 feet of clear space between you and kinect. Seems a lot of work to be done by MS before v2.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Firehen

unsure of whether this is gonna be a buyer at all?
    I've had a go on it and first impressions are not good at all. I think the Wii is better, and I have little time for that either.

Unless you're one of those who must have every new bit o' tech on release, or have kids who won't go too mad, in a well lit room with plenty of space that no other people or pets walk through with any frequency, I'd advise to stay well clear until they release a few updates and decent games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

IGN reviews of Kinect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Christ, I was excited about this, and the reviews on Engadget say it ain't great at all. I'll still get it for the video calling for reasons explained earlier in the thread, but hopefully it'll improve as time goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

Eight feet between sensor and you. That will rule a lot of people out. Pictorial below..

http://kotaku.com/5680506/configuring-a-room-for-kinect-a-tale-of-two-houses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I have about 4-5 feet in front of the tv in my room, if i turned the tv in the living room at an angle i'd probably get 9 feet, but come on, who wants to rearrange their furniture everytime you wanna play a game?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'll be very honest with all of you, I had absolutely zero interest in picking up a Kinect. I have a Wii and I am well over the whole idea of motion sensing as a viable control method.

Then on Sunday, I was able to get a chance to play on Kinect!!!

I'm actually now even less likely to ever pick one up. There is clear lag between your movement and the reaction on screen. Close to half a second on some of the games. Half a second lag on any competative game, especially FPS, will make the game unplayable.

I'll give credit to Microsoft for not blatently ripping off the Wii system like Sony, but there is currently no reason for me to spend 150 euro on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Engadget review now out

its a bit meh to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Bunch of links to different reviews.
    As I thought, Dance Central is the highlight, loved it at Gamescom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

One thing that annoys me about the Reviews is them mentioning the launch line up & the price.Sure we knew both were a problem months ago saying it now is like complaining that a console uses a lot of electricity.
    Xbox World 360 put it best with the Launch Line up "As kids you'd have a board one side had Snakes & Ladders the other side had Ludo,That board has more good games than Kinect has at Launch"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Kinect Sports got a decent review from Arthur Gies, that means it must be unbelievably good. I didn't think it was THAT good, it's ok though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Initial reviews seem poor alright.

However biggest barrier for me buying this is that you need lots of space for it. You need to be 6-8ft from the TV in a clear space and also needs 6ft of width. Taller players may need more.

There must also be no furniture in the way.

Ever noticed how all the promotional blurb from MS shows people in rooms with very little furniture, especially not having tables, for most people this is not the reality and if I had it I would have to move a huge and heavy coffee table out of a room everytime, would be an absolute nightmare and wife would go nuts, so I think that combined with the price could stop people buying it.......think it has great potential but I think this product could be a big and expensive flop for MS.

Kinect through IR goggles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Theres a demo of it set up in charlestown shopping centre if any of ye are in the area and want to have a go of it :)
    Seen it in action last week, no interest in it at all :/
    Definitely wont be buying it unless its going really cheap at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Theres a demo of it set up in charlestown shopping centre if any of ye are in the area and want to have a go of it :)
    Seen it in action last week, no interest in it at all :/
    Definitely wont be buying it unless its going really cheap at some stage.
    Unfortunately I've dropped down to this category as well, from a must-have, to a curious about it, to 'meh, unless some great thugs come out for it'.

If it's ever going dirt cheap, it'll mean that MS are getting ready to ditch it (like the xbox camera or HDDVD add-on).

Shame, it had such potential b

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

ye are really after turning me off of buying this, i was going to get it for my 10 year old son, but after the reviews im not sure i want to buy it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭EasyBoy1974

i've gone from "meh" to "might get it for the missus"

what is the best price for one that'll connect to the old xbox?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

i've gone from "meh" to "might get it for the missus"

+1, a bit of dancey dance crap and some inevitable exercise gimmicks may see herself wipe the dust off "her" xbox. Could this be the new hddvd? I'll buy it if it goes to those kinda prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

what is the best price for one that'll connect to the old xbox?

Same price as one that'll connect to the new xbox - there's only the one Kinect - €149.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

What bad reviews are you guys looking at? The ones I've seen for the games I want, from the reviewers I trust are 7 and 8. Since when is that a poor review?

My main hold up is the space, I'm pretty sure I have enough space but I'd still like to try it at my place first before I buy (never gonna happen though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

kinect adventures is alright, nothing special but that's why they bundled it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Squaredude

I've had it since august.Its good craic with a few of the lads over but it loses its appeal after a few weeks.The video chat is good and works fairly well.Other than the free kinect adventures game,I dont see myself buyin any other games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭EasyBoy1974

Same price as one that'll connect to the new xbox - there's only the one Kinect - €149.

OK thanks - i got the impression the €149 one was without the connector for the older xbox360

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I've no desire to pick up Kinect, except for wanting to feel a bit futuristic swiping through menus on the dashboard.

If I wanted this bolix, I'd have a Wii. I also dont have a massive room, with no furniture. Meh, if it goes cheap I might pick it up, but even then I have other stuff to buy.

Advertisement