Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New shark in the pool.

• 23-10-2010 11:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭

Picked up this 928 2 weeks ago.
    We all like pics, so...
    DSC02780.jpg
    DSC02772.jpg
    Int
    DSC02781.jpg
    Lump.
    DSC02784.jpg
    Rivals!
    DSC02776.jpg
    Bitter rivals!!
    I think I can see a pattern emerging, I'll have to seek professional help for my habit.;)
    DSC02770.jpg
    Mark.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

That is a nice haul... congrats!

What do they say about people who drive red cars? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You still have a patch of lawn you probably better get rid of! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,667 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Man, that's a good lookin' shark!!!

A glorious S4, tell us a lot more about the car and how you got it!

Your little girl (is she 4 yet?) seems impressed (and rightly so) by the massive V8 petrol engine :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,667 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Hifive wrote: »
    Rivals!

Bitter rivals!!

Nah, not rivals. I bet you won't be interested anymore in the E24 after you go for a few spins with the 928. Best of luck and happy driving :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i was gonna say the e24 is the real shark but now i'm just jealous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭manta mad

nice collection !!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

unkel wrote: »
    Man, that's a good lookin' shark!!!

A glorious S4, tell us a lot more about the car and how you got it!

Thanks, It was a private sale from a guy in Kildare. I've had my eye on it for a while. Very reasonable price considering what some are going for. You got to 'aggle!

It's an 89 S4 Auto with the 320hp 5.0l V8 and linen leather.
    With the exception of the air con, everything works, even the cruise.
    Pulls like a train, though not as quick off the mark as you might think. Once its up and running though, it just keeps pulling and pulling. Very easy to get yourself into trouble in this car!
    You sit fairly low in it and the cabin feels tight compared to the 6.
    It gives a real feeling of being hewn from a solid block and feels big and solid on the road. It's very wide (6 foot 2) and that takes a little getting used to.
    This one's had one of the three exhaust baffles removed and has a glorious rumble without being too intrusive.
    unkel Quote:
    I bet you won't be interested anymore in the E24 after you go for a few spins with the 928. Best of luck and happy driving

I dunno, I had the BMW out for a quick spin yesterday and it still feels very special.
    I will probably sell it (the 6) though, as won't benefit from not being used. 5K anyone?
    Your little girl (is she 4 yet?) seems impressed (and rightly so) by the massive V8 petrol engine

She's 2 and takes after her da, petrol in her blood!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

More pics of the six?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

yes would love a good look at that trimuph. Still a lovely porche all the same...

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    More pics of the six?

Took these last week,

DSC02752.jpg
    DSC02753.jpg
    DSC02755.jpg
    DSC02757.jpg

• Advertisement

yes would love a good look at that trimuph. Still a lovely porche all the same...

If your ever around Waterford, you'd be very welcome to come and look. If it's not raining we can go for a spin. Just shoot me a pm.
    Mike65 from the forum here, did exactly that and drove the Stag and the 6.

Hifive wrote: »
    If it's not raining we can go for a spin.

What's that all about? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Doesn't want to get damp under the arches of course*.

* nothing whatsoever to do with the Stags bottom clenchingly light steering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I think he is saying they are dry weather cars and sure I cant argue my classic is a convertiable that is now garraged for the winter, in wexford. Also there is no engine in it now but there will be real soon.

Well, the Stag is a fair weather car, which I think, is the one Spooky donkey was referring to.
    The 6 has been my everyday driver for the last 4 years.
    That offer stands for any of you guys by the way.

My baby rarely gets left up for more than two weeks at a time!

Love that 6er and would strongly consider it if I didn't have other plans at the moment.

i love the 6er and the 928 i test drove a few before i bought my current car
    a 77 e24 with nearly everything done
    she handles lovley and is a real pleasaure to drive with power and brakes tha will still embarras modern cars
    i found the 79 porsche to be "heavy" planted to the road but not rewarding till stupid speeds is the s4 (~the best of them) like that or is it rewarding like the 6er

Tigger wrote: »
    i love the 6er and the 928 i test drove a few before i bought my current car
    a 77 e24 with nearly everything done
    she handles lovley and is a real pleasaure to drive with power and brakes tha will still embarras modern cars
    i found the 79 porsche to be "heavy" planted to the road but not rewarding till stupid speeds is the s4 (~the best of them) like that or is it rewarding like the 6er

Yeah, I'd kinda go along with that, the 928 is at it's best when really pushing on, the BMW is more usable as an everyday car.
    I've probably not got across what I really want to say there. I suppose the 928 is more of an "experience" every drive is sorta like an event and while the 6 has a lot of that too, it does seem an easier drive. A lot of that may be just because the Porsche is new to me. Time will tell.
    I think if I still had them both in a years time and just had to spin down to Tesco for the milk, I'd take the BMW. If I was going off somewhere for the day I'd take the 928.
    I feel really privileged to have the choice.
    Mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

mike over in the irish porsche club forum has loads of 928's and is always on hand to help/guide with snags.......that 928 is magnificent plus your other steeds but the v8 in that yoke is the biz. besta luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Love the 928. Love the shape of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Dades wrote: »
    That is a nice haul... congrats!

What do they say about people who drive red cars? :p

I dont know but I have it said that women who wear red shoes....

Rugbyman

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I can agree with that, my humble 924 feels as modern as my 2001 daily run around car.

No the 928 feels modern but grand toured modern it feels like it's on rails which is good and bad at the same time.

A 924 is a very different prospect and probably nearer to the e24.

Tigger wrote: »
    A 924 is a very different prospect and probably nearer to the e24.

Hhmm...I've driven a 924 and liked it a lot, but the E24 is (in my opinion) a considerable step up. Its 3.5l gives 220hp and great big lumps of torque. Using the sport setting on the switchable auto makes for a very exciting drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

What he just said! ;)

Cant believe It’s been 12 years since I posted here. Been busy with family etc and had to let most of the toys go to new owners years ago. The 6 went back to the uk and after a few years, seems to have disappeared from the mot register. The 928 went to a lad in Galway who I think, still has it. The Stag is still in regular (summer) use but I have been lusting after an R129 for years, didn’t think I could stretch to a 500 and very nearly bought a couple of 300, 24 valves in the last few months. This 1991 SL 500 came up on done deal a month ago needing a little tlc, but at the right price and I took the plunge. Hope you like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Looks great, well done and good luck with it.

Looks like there are a few nice subtle mods to it. Exhaust? BBS wheels look great. As does the blacked out badge.

I haven’t seen two tone leather in an SL before, is that standard or aftermarket?

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

Thanks, yes I was really looking for a standard car, but this one fitted my budget😀

the wheels and stance are growing on me gradually. The wheels are 18’s by Axe Design 245/40 on the back and 225/40 on the front. It’s been lowered by about 40mm and really, it’s too low to be practical, so I’ll have to sort that out.

Full big bore stainless exhaust and it sounds epic when your on it. The seats and door panels have been retrimmed to a really high standard a few years ago and it had a new roof at the same time. The big plus, is that the roof actually works! A lot of them don’t work, as a simple jump start can fry the roof ecu and they are nearly a grand to replace. There’s 11 hydraulic actuators in the system and they are prone to fluid leaks.

It’s not as clean as it looks in the pics really, it’s had a poor quality partial re spray at sometime in the past and it’s a bit orange peely in places and a bit faded on the bonnet. I’ve machine cut and polished it and it’s looking a bit sharper but I’ll probably get it touched up when funds permit.

I’ve a few electrical gremlins to chase down but it’s mechanically sound (I hope!) and I can’t find any rust at all.

The Stag is sulking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭w124man

"a simple jump start can fry the roof ecu"

Urban myth! When I collected my 320SL from Liverpool a few years ago, the battery was knackered. I had to jump the car twice to get it home. If you fry the ecu by jumping the car, it was on its way out anyway. Join the Mercedes Benz Club and hop onto their club forums. Plenty of advice and resources available there

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_ptashek_

Yes, and no. If the battery is knackered to a point where it accepts no charge, the second you disconnect the jump battery - with a healthy alternator - the system will load dump like there's no tomorrow. Were talking spikes of up-to 140V DC lasting up-to half a second.

Now, the yes/no depends on if the ECU is on a protected circuit or not. In MBs with an OVP that's the case - there's a big fat TVS (transient voltage suppressor) diode in there that can absorb all that energy repeatedly.

In cars without protection like this at circuit level, stuff is very likely to die in a puff of magic smoke.

Plus there's the added bonus that some roadside assistance actually use 24V jump packs...

• Advertisement

Sorry I didn’t see this reply till now. Don’t use boards as much as I used to I suppose. You sound like a man who knows his stuff. The SL does indeed have an OVP but, to be sure, any time I have had to disconnect the battery or put the battery on charge, I unplug the ECU for the roof just to be sure.

Advertisement