Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best/easiest way to level my back garden?

Options
  • 23-10-2010 11:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,my back garden is unlevel and bumpy and has some dips in it from where there used to be a large wooden shed sitting on it.

I want to do something about it,with regards to making it all nice and level again and then maybe putting down a new lawn or grass seed..

Is there any type of machine that I can hire out to scoop up the existing grass/weeds/soil and level the back garden with?

The grass area of the back garden is only 22 feet long by 22 feet wide.

All ideas and help is appreciated.:)

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Hi

Im no expert - but maybe a mini-digger would do the job!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Hi

Im no expert - but maybe a mini-digger would do the job!

I have side access down the side of my house to the back garden,but its only 820mm wide,so theres no way a mini digger will fit through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

maybe a rotovator? talk to the hire-people they should know the right equipment but Id say the rotovator is your man!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

The easiest way is to get someone else to do it!

Failing that i did mine 2 years ago, it was about the same size.

First i sprayed off all the grass and let it die off.
    I then went out with my fork and turned it all and broke uo the big lumps.
    The i left it for a few days while my back recovered.

I went out again and broke it with the fork.
    Then i raked it and raked it, removing the larger stones as i went. Leave it about and inch higher than any paving cause it will comprees down. If you kepp raking and removing stones etc you will be surprised how level and clean you can get it.

There is probably a better way to do it but i'm to thick and ignorant to ask anyone....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

paddy147 wrote: »
    Hi,my back garden is unlevel and bumpy and has some dips in it from where there used to be a large wooden shed sitting on it.

I want to do something about it,with regards to making it all nice and level again and then maybe putting down a new lawn or grass seed..

Is there any type of machine that I can hire out to scoop up the existing grass/weeds/soil and level the back garden with?

The grass area of the back garden is only 22 feet long by 22 feet wide.

All ideas and help is appreciated.:)

Thanks.

Spray area (although temps getting low) or alternatively use sod cutter to remove top layer, rotovate area, remove spoil and grade/rake soil.

BTW a 0.5ton mini digger will pass through access, but the area is hardly big enough for the bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

dynamite

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I found an excellent way of levelling turned soil (rather than a lawn) was to drag a wide plank across it with a couple of concrete blocks on top, with a couple of ropes.

Advertisement