Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mc Donalds Security Grafton St Dublin

• 24-10-2010 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6 JCPhotography

I still cant believe what happened to me yesterday morning in Mc Donalds on Grafton St Dublin.

I entered the Trinity st car park at 11.15am (as printed on the ticket), parked, got sorted and headed towards Grafton st, arriving there about 11.30am. I fancied a coffee and apple pie and needed to use the toilet too, having driven for an hour or so, so best bet, Mc Donalds. In I went and headed for the gents. There I assumed the position and well, you know the rest. About 3 or 4 minutes passed and there was a bang on the cubicle door. I shouted, "theres someone in here". Then there was a violent hammering on the door and bellowing "come out, come out now". I shouted back, "i'll be two minutes" and began to sort myself."no two minutes, open the door" and more violent hammering. I shouted out "who is that, is that security?" there was no answer, just pure aggression and constant shouting "open the door, open the door". I shouted back, "let me get my trousers up" and he shouted, "no trousers, open the door" at this point, I was in genuine fear for my safety, thinking I was being attacked, but knew that if I didnt open the door, it was coming in on top of me. So, barely cleaned, and barely dressed, I opened the door and there was a big african man there. It was not immediately obvious whether he was security, and when i asked, again he didnt say. "what were you doing in there" he screamed at me. "having a poo" i said (ok, i never say poo, but it just came out, shock maybe). You were in there 15 minutes he said. No, No i said, just 3 or 4. "You were in there 15 minutes, why". Still shaking and terrified, i fumbled for my car parking ticked and showed him the time printed on it which proved i could not have been anything like 15 minutes in there, but he said "no, i looked under door, you were there 15 minutes and then he walked out, apparently happy that i wasn't a terrorist, thief or paedophile and leaving me with a few embarrassed customers. Now I'm a grown man, but will admit to being shaken and almost close to tears. I steadied myself and spoke to the duty manager at the store, who was apologetic and said he'd have words. I showed him my car park ticket and he agreed i wasn't in the store more than 5 minutes. It absolutely ruined my day, and tbh, its still troubling me now. Are genuine decent members of the public powerless against this sort of attack? ..because thats how I feel, as though I was assaulted in a Mc Donalds toilet at 11.30am yesterday morning.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Paragraphs are your friend.
    McDonald's staff less so, apparently.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I'd call Joe duffy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 JCPhotography

I don't know if Joe Duffy would be interested. Its not such a big story, only to me I guess. (New Paragraph)

Btw, I didn't mention, but he told me that he 'knew' I was in there 15 minutes because he'd looked under the door!! ..kinda like when the car park attendents at Tesco walk around the car park and take down reg numbers in case you've gone into town shopping. I'm just shocked that such a thing could happen, all aspects of it, and I have no comeback at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

If this person is security he should have identification. He is more likely a manager or other employee charged with keeping junkies out of the toilets and follows in anyone that just walks in off the street and straight to the toilets without first ordering food. Sadly just a sign of the times that junkies will try anywhere including a McDonald's full of kids to shoot up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

He assaulted you have you contacted the manager yet. I'd have Turkic it was me demand the CCTV footage and take it from there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Make a complaint to the guards as this guys behaviour was threatening abusive and quite possibly indecent if he was looking under the door at you having a pooh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Make a complaint to the guards as this guys behaviour was threatening abusive and quite possibly indecent if he was looking under the door at you having a pooh!

call the paragraph police while you are at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

I think staff really frown on McShíts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

call the paragraph police while you are at it
    Also call the punctuation police.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Have to say, that was a very unpleasant experience.
    not sure if there's a legal remedy, but they might give an offer with the threat of an action - as they should because that way, they will be more inclined to ensure proper security procedures.

• Advertisement

:) I have called the paragraph police, so thats sorted.

As for the other, I cannot see that anything he did was by the book. Every aspect of how I was treated is shocking. It's difficult to describe just how threatening and violent the episode was, albeit without any physical contact. The duty manager said he'd have words with the guy but maybe I will speak with the Gardai about this. Thanks for the advice guys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

He probably thought you were smuggling in a Whopper to eat

:) I have called the paragraph police, so thats sorted.

As for the other, I cannot see that anything he did was by the book. Every aspect of how I was treated is shocking. It's difficult to describe just how threatening and violent the episode was, albeit without any physical contact. The duty manager said he'd have words with the guy but maybe I will speak with the Gardai about this. Thanks for the advice guys :)

well I'd go the civil, rather than criminal route tbh. still, prob no harm mentioning it to them - but they can only pursue it if you make a statement and then if the Garda Superintendent wants to go ahead with it, which i would doubt.

Yeah, I see what you mean. And in town yesterday, there was probably several muggings, maybe drug related arrests, shop lifting, accidents and the like. And then I turn up complaining that a security man shouted at me. As you said, it was a very unpleasant experience, but maybe one to forget about, asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Yeah, I see what you mean. And in town yesterday, there was probably several muggings, maybe drug related arrests, shop lifting, accidents and the like. And then I turn up complaining that a security man shouted at me. As you said, it was a very unpleasant experience, but maybe one to forget about, asap.

I would definately follow this up with management in store - it's absolutely innappropriate behaviour from somebody who is meant to be protecting the fee paying customers like yourself from the likes of junkies and pickpockets that will lurk around that general area. (there's a little lane just opposite the side door of BTs that about 10 junkies sleep in/shoot up in every night.)

It may be a case of mistaken identity but the aggression described and the lack of apology from the trained monkey (you said you got an apology from the manager) who verbally attacked you is unwarranted unless they are 100% sure of who they're dealing with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

If the restaurant has employed this individual as security and they are not a registered security operative then they have committed an offence. The area is regulated by: http://www.psa.gov.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭doleman2010

Still too many of these so called security guards in shops etc that are not PSA reg , have a look next time you are out and about for visible id on these monkeys, just not there in a lot of cases ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Did you get your apple pie and coffee? On the house?

Hey, thanks for the replies guys.

As for identification. At no time did he state that he was a security guard and he had no markings on his clothes identifying his company.

I'll speak with the store or area manager during the week. Thanks again guys for the great advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

I would just write a letter of complaint to the manager of that particular store, and see if their response satisfies you..

Taking it any further is most liklely a waste of time/money, but if noone says anything then that particular security guard is unlikely to be told his behaviours is unacceptable irrespective of his reasons.

Worst case situation, vote with you wallet and don't provide them with your custom again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭maneno

i understand the plight of the op,and he should complain to mgt but its abit offensive that some people are calling africans monkeys,really pathetic

maneno wrote: »
    i understand the plight of the op,and he should complain to mgt but its abit offensive that some people are calling africans monkeys,really pathetic

Just reread the OP and only noticed now that the security guard was african!! It didn't register during my speedread of the big paragraph!

My intention of the use of the phrase "trained monkey" is in reference to the phrase " if you pay peanuts.." and most security guards that I have worked with have been Irish and worthy of the phrase imo..

Apologies if any offence caused...absolutely not intended!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

While the behaviour of the security guard was over the top you have to remember that the toilets are for customers use only. However, I don't know why they would want to enforce this with such zeal.

On the other side of the coin there was a horrific case a few years ago where a girl with a mental disability was raped in the toilet of a fast food restaurant on Grafton St.

Probably no harm that they have policing of the loos but you'd kind of prefer heavy action against the people doing wrong.

A previous poster is right, send a letter to the manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭doleman2010

AS always when these incidents occur we always have some joker trying to play the RACE CARD.
    Not all security guards are african ,not all africans are security guards, not all security guards are legit,

maneno wrote: »

Racist.

They were calling them Monkeys which is a common term for big security guards. You decided it was about race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

African monkey security guard

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭wyndhurst

Complaint to Gardai? - You're kidding??? I hope they arrest you for wasting their time.
    You should have just grown a pair and told the guy to ...uck off

BrianD wrote: »
    While the behaviour of the security guard was over the top you have to remember that the toilets are for customers use only. However, I don't know why they would want to enforce this with such zeal.

On the other side of the coin there was a horrific case a few years ago where a girl with a mental disability was raped in the toilet of a fast food restaurant on Grafton St.

Probably no harm that they have policing of the loos but you'd kind of prefer heavy action against the people doing wrong.

A previous poster is right, send a letter to the manager.

The manager would probably sooner wipe his Arse with your letter than do anything about it TBF, and rightly so

johnn wrote: »
    The manager would probably sooner wipe his Arse with your letter than do anything about it TBF, and rightly so

:eek:

Believe it or not some managers actually value feedback regarding staff.

For all you know the manager might have had issues in the past with the particular security guard and a serious complaint could be the decision to terminate their employment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This isn't really a Consumer Issue. i'm going to try Legal Discussion.

dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

truth of the matter is that the "security guard" didn't perform in a respectable manner.

its true that there are plenty of "junkies" going into bathrooms in places like McDonalds in order to burn some hash or shoot up (yes I do consider someone who smokes weed as a junkie - I consider a junkie to be someone who abuses drugs - doesn't matter if they are lesser drugs like weed)

and security must be strict on these people - boarderline treating them illegally.... some "security guards" dont know how to perform when faced with someone they suspect of doing drugs.

in this case the security guy - made allegations or implied you were using the toilet for something other than a dump/pee ..... if there were others around to witness then he has defamed you - infact you went to the manager and complained about the guy - as you felt threatened/degraded.

on a technicality you have a civil action against the person and mcdonalds - which could probably earn you a couple of grand .... but thats if you were one of these people who try to claim for everything.... the lowest of the low - in my opinion.... from what you have posted I doubt this is the case.

Best thing to do in this case is just forget about it and if it happens again - complain to the manager and make sure he tells the guy to go home as he is not suitable for doing his job (he might not be suited to retail security services - some of these security guards usually spend their days patrolling ghost estates and don't remember the training they got in retail security)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭maneno

my apologies,wasnt trying to pull a race card,didnt know it was the norm to call security guards monkeys,as per op's thread,he specified the guy was african hence my sentiments,i stand corrected

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

PCPhoto wrote: »

in this case the security guy - made allegations or implied you were using the toilet for something other than a dump/pee ..... if there were others around to witness then he has defamed you - infact you went to the manager and complained about the guy - as you felt threatened/degraded.

on a technicality you have a civil action against the person and mcdonalds - which could probably earn you a couple of grand ....

Is this the case though ? If a garda pulled over my car and searched it for drugs on the side of a public road, he has not defamed me.

The security guards were to exit the cubicle. How is that defamation ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I think a letter of complaint and leave it at that would be my advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

its true that there are plenty of "junkies" going into bathrooms in places like McDonalds in order to burn some hash or shoot up (yes I do consider someone who smokes weed as a junkie - I consider a junkie to be someone who abuses drugs - doesn't matter if they are lesser drugs like weed)

Clearly you've never come within 10 feet of cannabis.

OP, a bit of advice for these situations in general, if someone challenges you like that, tell them to go fcuk themselves. You did nothing wrong, he did. You shouldn't be the one feeling bad about yourself. Next time, threaten him somehow, legal action, violence or whatever, see his reaction then.

• Advertisement

hopefully they can stamp out those coffee users as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Sadly just a sign of the times that junkies will try anywhere including a McDonald's full of kids to shoot up.
    Many fast food restaurants around certain area's have low "anti-junkie" doors, giving you very little privacy if having a dump.

I have in the past just leaned forward and opened the door (in posh hotels), but usually just tell them to f**k off (everywhere else).

ArtSmart wrote: »
    hopefully they can stamp out those coffee users as well.

I notice you conveniently skipped over the part of his post where he says "abuse drugs".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I use to have to do this a long time ago as in perform security in places with public toilets in some rough suburbs and the city centre.

The method we used.

If we suspected a user was inside normally due to someone reporting it like cleaners.

We would check under the door but not as close as to allow vision inside. we looked for a belt on the floor or the top of the pants. It was an indication the toilet was being properly "Used". Sometimes you would see the user passed out.

We also listened in the cubicle next to it for audible signs like lighters or the like.

The smell also may have given signs.

Now all this was done discreetly as possible. If we did have clear sign something was amiss we would clear the toilet and announce loudly we had to clear the toilet for cleaning purposes. Chances are the offender would either not anwer or the slurred speech would speak volumes. A clear response as the OP described would lead to us allowing the person to take their time.

At no piont would we ever behave as the OP described this moron behaved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I notice you conveniently skipped over the part of his post where he says "abuse drugs".

What's abuse of drugs? If taking illegal drugs is abuse, then drinking coffee is abuse of a drug only difference is that it's legal abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

sesna wrote: »
    Is this the case though ? If a garda pulled over my car and searched it for drugs on the side of a public road, he has not defamed me.

The security guards were to exit the cubicle. How is that defamation ?

Gardai have a statutory power. Security guards don't. Op should write to head office about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I'm not so sure this belongs in Legal Discussion, perhaps After Hours? lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Isn't the main issue here that the occupant was put in fear for his safety and therefore an assault may have been committed? It probably doesn't matter a lot to him whether or not the other guy was employed as a security guard or not, legally or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I was in the same mcdonalds a few weeks ago, it was pissing rain out and i had myt hood up and my headphones on, i just gotr to the counter when presumably the same security guard grabbed my arm, pulled out my headphones and started shouting at me that i had to take my hood down or get out, i wouldnt be served with my hood up.

now had he politely tapped my shoulder and asked i would have done it, but going about it the way he did, i refused, and asked for the manager. Im 35 and not a scaldie so i thought this treatment was uncalled for. Manager sided with the security, but by that time my back was up and i didnt want to eat there so i left, but i too wanted to make a complaint. im sure the guy puts up with a lotta **** in that job but theres no call for grabbing people and pulling out their earphones no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I think what happened to the OP was outrageous.
    I think what happened to david75 was a lesson in manners.

david75 and the security guard need to learn the same lesson.

You are 35 and you want to be treated with respect when you dont even bother to remove your earphones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Scambuster

You sound as soft as the ****e you left behind.
    Why didn't you just tell him to **** off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

perhaps i didnt explain correctly, i was looking up at the menu when he grabbed me and simultaneously pulled out my earphones and started shouting at me to take my hood down. i hadnt even seen the guy up til that, it wasnt like i was trying to ignore him or anything, i was unaware of him completey until he grabbed me. clearer?

Scambuster wrote: »
    You sound as soft as the ****e you left behind.
    Why didn't you just tell him to **** off.

LOL.

so it's headbuster, not scambuster.

i hear the theme song from Rawhide in the background....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

OisinT wrote: »
    I'm not so sure this belongs in Legal Discussion, perhaps After Hours? lol
    You'd only end up getting another ban OisinT:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Still dont know why places dont fit UV lights to stop junkies banging up or those other type of junkies,yes that scourge on society ,cannibis smokers!

Although UV wouldnt stop them smoking gear.

• Advertisement
Advertisement