Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgraduate study in Germany

Options
  • 24-10-2010 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

I've been looking into doing a postgrad in Germany, as I can't afford Irish prices on them.They seem a decent enough deal, but there's a few questions I can't quite get a straight answer to.
    Anyone here know
    a)which universities are good for a research postgrad?
    b)whether or not it is advisable to do one there?
    c)whether or not it is ultimately any better value for money than Ireland?

(History postgrad)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 hsharz

a) there are a good amount of great universities in Germany. some of the most famous are : Uni Tübingen, FU Berlin, Humboldt-Uni Berlin , Uni Heidelberg, Uni Konstanz, etc.
    there is a ranking in place by the newspaper "Die Zeit" called "Che-Ranking" maybe google that.

b)advisable or not depends on what you are looking for. you should expect at least some difficulties if you intend to research in English.
    (if you are looking for a Master's degree- the concept of Bachelor/Master is not completly developed in Germany and you may have difficulties finding any research Master opportunities. Most of them tend to be taught courses. in case of Phd the biggest problem will be finding a "Doktorvater" willing to accept you)

c) it is probably is better value for money if you find a uni/course with sth. you wanna do because living costs in Germany tend to be lower and fees are very low compared to Ireland

Advertisement