Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1 winner of lotto

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Dump 99% of the money into a couple of funds and you'd be set for life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

KeithM89 wrote: »
    im still waiting for the day the winning numbers are 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 :D

It's as likely as any other combination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Confab wrote: »
    Dump 99% of the money into a couple of funds and you'd be set for life.

Wouldn't it depend on who the fund managers are? I wouldn't give some of those guys monopoly money to play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

I've done that several times and have won zilch. Will keep trying though! Disgusted with a D4 winner.

Well, talk about begrudgery!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Wasn't it a €30 quickpick? hopefully its a syndicate then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I saw the RTE report earlier, that shop looked very expensive and the people in it well groomed. :(

They spent 30 euro on a quick pick, so money is not an issue. I hate it when someone who almost certainly doesn't need a dig out wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

KeithM89 wrote: »
    im still waiting for the day the winning numbers are 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 :D
    http://regretfulmorning.com/2010/10/woman-uses-lottery-numbers-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-wins-over-two-mill/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

mike65 wrote: »
    FFS is it won in Darndale or Ballybeg or Blackpool? No, its won by some wealthy person in Donnybrook.
    Lots of Blackpool is all yuppified now.
    I saw the RTE report earlier, that shop looked very expensive and the people in it well groomed. :(

They spent 30 euro on a quick pick, so money is not an issue. I hate it when someone who almost certainly doesn't need a dig out wins.
    Yeah, and begrudgery my hole. I'd be delighted if it was a person who could do with the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Same here, the Lotto is a voluntary tax on the poor giving false hope where the odds are pathetic for a poor person to win something.

At least with the bookie lotto, the odds are hugely favourable for a poor person to win as they would have better chances of financial enhancement from the shorter odds. Won't stop rich people winning though unless we bar them ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

They steal our jobs, our women & now our Lotto! Feckin Polish!

Oh wait..............I thought the thread title was "I winner of lotto" by Waltkowalski.

Nevermind.............carry on :pac:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Dudess wrote: »

Yeah, and begrudgery my hole. I'd be delighted if it was a person who could do with the money.

I agree. If its a wealthy v-neck wearing toss pot whos won the feckin thing i'l be gutted.

When i seen where the ticket was bought on the news last night i went oh noooo....

Some richo probably rolled up in his 2010 range rover, parked in a disabled parking space, kicked a dog out of the way as he walked into the shop, ignorantly grunted at the shop assistant pointing at the lotto machine, slammed 30euro on the counter & wobbled out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Anyone else hear that it may have been an RTE presenter that won it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Yeah I heard that, but chances are the rumour was just started because the ticket was bought in Donnybrook.

Ryan Tubridy AND Colm Hayes are off the air today though! Do presenters get mid-term breaks?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

sonic85 wrote: »
    nice. any word what county/counties no? id be happy to win 100 grand never mind 16 mill! be much better if they split that 16 million into 16 seperate prizes

id be happy if i won a 100 quid

• Advertisement

Yeah I heard that, but chances are the rumour was just started because the ticket was bought in Donnybrook.

Ryan Tubridy AND Colm Hayes are off the air today though! Do presenters get mid-term breaks?

Yeah, there's probably not much truth in it. Imagine it was true though.. some overpaid eejit winning 16 million with a ticket paid for essentially by the tax-payer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Marian Finucane. Hasn't been heard on radio much lately. Oh wait, that's not unusual I hear....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭who what when

gurramok wrote: »
    ...the Lotto is a voluntary tax on the poor....

The lotto is a tax on the stupid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Yeah, there's probably not much truth in it. Imagine it was true though.. some overpaid eejit winning 16 million with a ticket paid for essentially by the tax-payer!

so much jealousy in your post, it hurts my head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

So can you seriously say someone like Pat Kenny is not overpaid & keep a straight face?

• Advertisement

Well it doesn't take much to hurt your head, does it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Brilliant Mike. Plenty of Miss. Marple style assumptions there.

First off it could have been bought on behalf of a syndicate. Second, it could have been bought by someone who was just passing by or who works in the area as opposed to (God forbid) someone who was not skint.

Irish begrudgery. Alive and well despite the current economic times.

So can you seriously say someone like Pat Kenny is not overpaid & keep a straight face?

OK from now on, only poor people are allowed win the lotto
    Well it doesn't take much to hurt your head, does it?

:rolleyes:
    Mezcita wrote: »
    Brilliant Mike. Plenty of Miss. Marple style assumptions there.

First off it could have been bought on behalf of a syndicate. Second, it could have been bought by someone who was just passing by or who works in the area as opposed to (God forbid) someone who was not skint.

Irish begrudgery. Alive and well despite the current economic times.

Thank you

Fail to see how viewing it as a waste when it's won by someone who doesn't need it/preferring someone who DOES need it is the winner = begrudgery/jealousy... but I suppose it's easy to trot those out lazily.

:rolleyes:
    Wo... good comeback.
    Thank you
    There's a thanks button.

And yeah, being sickened at the thought of an overpaid RTE presenter winning several million - jealousy? Surely just an objection to unfairness? It would be jealousy/begrudgery if it was resentment at ANYONE winning it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

There's a thanks button.

Well seeing as he already had a post that was going to be up, does it not make sense for him to put it in there anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

In fairness now Pat is not overpaid when compared to premiership footballers and eh Simon Cowell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

bullpost wrote: »
    In fairness now Pat is not overpaid when compared to premiership footballers and eh Simon Cowell!

Premiership footballers and Simon Cowell aren't paid with our tax money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Wo... good comeback.

There's a thanks button.

And yeah, being sickened at the thought of an overpaid RTE presenter winning several million - jealousy? Surely just an objection to unfairness? It would be jealousy/begrudgery if it was resentment at ANYONE winning it.

How is a wealthy person winning a competition based on randomness unfair?
    Everyone has the same odds and an equal right to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

I got 3 numbers and won.....wait for it....wait for it......€1 :(

Far play to who ever won it....Jayus, 16million

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

I've done that several times and have won zilch. Will keep trying though! Disgusted with a D4 winner.

If you're happy enough for affluent people to pay into the lotto fund, you should be happy enough for them to be paid out of it too. Without them the total winnings wouldn't be so large and either would the cut the State receives either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Whoops - must apologise. Forgot to put that little smiley thing at the end of my post which indicates humour.
    But that shouldn't detract from your point , which is very true.
    Premiership footballers and Simon Cowell aren't paid with our tax money.

Fail to see how viewing it as a waste when it's won by someone who doesn't need it/preferring someone who DOES need it is the winner = begrudgery/jealousy... but I suppose it's easy to trot those out lazily.

Fair enough
    Wo... good comeback.

If i wanted my come back i'd wipe it off your _______ face :pac:

Sorry but i had to :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Lazy my ar.se.

By "needing it" should the qualifying criteria for the be that the winner is unable to feed and clothe their children? Or should the thousands of people who owe loads on their mortgages/ college loans not be allowed to get it as they are lucky enough to have have jobs?

It's a random process and whoever has won is perfectly entitled to it as the odds of winning are insane. Fairness does not come in to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Fairness does not come in to it.

Which is why its a tax and should be boycotted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I recall a £3million winner from Dalkey years ago. Everybody was saying "Typical somebody from a wealthy area won it".

It was won by a syndicate of 3, of which a consultant based at the hospital where I work was a member - he got £1 million pocket money. What made it worse was that he then won another £200,000 in a different syndicate a couple of years after this. In all the years he was in a syndicate with us, we won nothing:(

Good luck to the person who won this, let's hope it's somebody who desperately needs it (Alison O'Riordan?)
    I got 3 numbers and won.....wait for it....wait for it......€1 :(
    I won €5!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Calibos

Lazy my ar.se.

By "needing it" should the qualifying criteria for the be that the winner is unable to feed and clothe their children? Or should the thousands of people who owe loads on their mortgages/ college loans not be allowed to get it as they are lucky enough to have have jobs?

It's a random process and whoever has won is perfectly entitled to it as the odds of winning are insane. Fairness does not come in to it.

Of course there is nothing unfair about it. Its not jealousy or begrudgery either though to say to yourself, "FFS!!" when out of all the people to win the big one, one hears it might be a €900,000 a year RTE star, or a Blackrock Clinic Consultant who won the jackpot twice in the nineties, or Jennifer Lopez' mother winning a multi-million jackpot on the slot machines in Vegas etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

I won €3 wayheyyy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

money is all relative. The latest winner of the euro millions in the uK - who won €113M - would be the poorest person in the room, if the 510 richest people in the uK got into a room.

Chap would be a pauper. Must be clubs who wouldnt let him in.

• Advertisement

True, but not liking the idea of an already monied person winning it, and rejoicing at the idea of a struggling person (poor or in debt) winning it is not begrudgery or jealousy - the opposite really IMO.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I have to say it's so pathetic when people get angry just because the ticket was purchased in one of he more affluent parts of Dublin. AS already said, should only poor people be allowed to win the lotto? Do you think everyone that lives in these areas are millionaires and have no possible need for more money - they are just going to put it in the bank with the rest of their millions and let it sit there? Pffft... Just cause you live in Donnybrook does not mean you are wealthy anyway. There will be a slight uplift in rent prices for a room or apartment or whatever - but there are plenty of people living in these areas on average wages who are simply prepared to pay a premium to live where they want. This ridiculous branding of people in a certain area is retarded. A comfortable and successful person is just as entitled to it as anyone else. A poor uneducated person is more likely to blow it on crazy stuff or move to the algave and spend it there, whereas a more educated person might actually invest it into a growing business which would create more jobs for this country.

This typical Irish begrudgery towards people who have actually gone out there and made something of their lives is really really sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

beagle001 wrote: »
    Please not Alison 'o whats herface

I'm only teasing you Alison

Zascar wrote: »
    This ridiculous branding of people in a certain area is retarded.
    A comfortable and successful person is just as entitled to it as anyone else. A poor uneducated person is more likely to blow it on crazy stuff or move to the algave and spend it there, whereas a more educated person might actually invest it into a growing business which would create more jobs for this country.

Let them eat cake eh?
    This typical Irish begrudgery towards people who have actually gone out there and made something of their lives is really really sad.
    Who said they have a problem with people making something of their lives? What's begrudging about finding it preferable that a person who is poor wins the money rather than a person who has no need for a windfall? Wouldn't it be more like begrudgery to resent the poorer person winning it?
    (All based though on the actual winner being a wealthy person, to be fair).

Btw, this apparent "typical Irish begrudgery" must not be that typically Irish, seeing as it only seems to be Irish people who won't shut the fuck up about it.

True, but not liking the idea of an already monied person winning it, and rejoicing at the idea of a struggling person (poor or in debt) winning it is not begrudgery or jealousy - the opposite really IMO.

Your being resentful of someone simply because they gained something, how is that not begrudgery?

You're leaving out "and would prefer if someone else gained it".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

If any "poor" people are playing the lottery then they don't deserve to win it for being idiots. If they're seriously stuck for cash then they shouldn't be throwing it away at something that they're practically guaranteed to never win.

Some richo probably rolled up in his 2010 range rover, parked in a disabled parking space, kicked a dog out of the way as he walked into the shop, ignorantly grunted at the shop assistant pointing at the lotto machine, slammed 30euro on the counter & wobbled out.
    Ridiculous stereotyping there.

Zascar wrote: »

Do you really think holding the opinion that a less well off person could do with the money more than someone already financially sound is begrudgery? The whole 'typical Irish begrudgery' thing is utter nonsense anyway. Trotted out whenever anyone dares to stick their head above the pulpit to share their opinion on something.. When someone says Jedward are ****; it's begrudgery, when they say Pat Kenny is overpaid; it's begrudgery. It's fcuking ironic is what it is.. as those who spew out the line most often are the ones begrudging anyone from holding an opinion differing from their own

You're leaving out "and would prefer if someone else gained it".

That doesn't change the fact you are begrudging the winner. Maybe they should just change the lotto to the who does Dudess want to win competition where she the almighty one decides who is most worthy of winning a competition based on nothing but luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Everyone who entered has the same chance for every line

Well done to who ever won :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Do you really think holding the opinion that a less well off person could do with the money more than someone already financially sound is a begrudger? The whole 'typical Irish begrudgery' thing is utter nonsense anyway. Trotted out whenever anyone dares to stick their head above the pulpit to share their opinion on something.. When someone says Jedward are ****; it's begrudgery, when they say Pat kenny is overpaid; it's begrudgery. It's fcuking ironic is what it is.. as those who spew out the line most often are the ones begrudging anyone from holding an opinion differing from their own

It's a fact that people with less money could do with the win more than the "financially sound", but stating that fact is different from saying that financially sound people shouldn't win or don't deserve to win. And there are some people who have gone far further:

I agree. If its a wealthy v-neck wearing toss pot whos won the feckin thing i'l be gutted.

When i seen where the ticket was bought on the news last night i went oh noooo....

But anyway... fcuk fcuk fcuk

• Advertisement
Advertisement