Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1 winner of lotto

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Do you really think holding the opinion that a less well off person could do with the money more than someone already financially sound is begrudgery? The whole 'typical Irish begrudgery' thing is utter nonsense anyway. Trotted out whenever anyone dares to stick their head above the pulpit to share their opinion on something.. When someone says Jedward are ****; it's begrudgery, when they say Pat Kenny is overpaid; it's begrudgery. It's fcuking ironic is what it is.. as those who spew out the line most often are the ones begrudging anyone from holding an opinion differing from their own
    The idea that a poor person deserves to win the lotto anymore than anyone else is just nonsense. Do the poor people put in extra effort to win or something?:D

Also the second the win they are no longer poor so should the prize money be taken off them?:D

Saying that someone who already has money doesn't deserve to get more is begrudging. They goto the same effort as everyone else who plays the lotto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Damn, that amount of money would almost feel like too much for me. (Hey, I wouldn't be complaining if I won)

I'd be a happy camper if I won even €500 out of it :(

I think the universe should make it rain less in Limerick because there are a lot of poor people down there and sure don't they have it hard enough. It's only fair.:D

Mark200 wrote: »
    If any "poor" people are playing the lottery then they don't deserve to win it for being idiots. If they're seriously stuck for cash then they shouldn't be throwing it away at something that they're practically guaranteed to never win.

Ridiculous stereotyping there.
    That's not fair if poor people want to gamble their money the universe should let them win or else it's not fair.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Do you really think holding the opinion that a less well off person could do with the money more than someone already financially sound is begrudgery? The whole 'typical Irish begrudgery' thing is utter nonsense anyway. Trotted out whenever anyone dares to stick their head above the pulpit to share their opinion on something.. When someone says Jedward are ****; it's begrudgery, when they say Pat Kenny is overpaid; it's begrudgery. It's fcuking ironic is what it is.. as those who spew out the line most often are the ones begrudging anyone from holding an opinion differing from their own
    It's one of the most unimaginative lines on Boards.ie - and that's really saying something. It falls under the same umbrella as having to prove you're a musician yourself if you don't like a particular band/singer. Of course those who enjoy indulging in that type of whinge have never ever criticised any band or singer themselves.
    SugarHigh wrote: »
    That doesn't change the fact you are begrudging the winner.
    Maybe. But begrudgery is resentment of anyone having good fortune/succeeding, nothing more. I guess I'm just discerning as to whom I begrudge.
    I, the almighty one, like that idea of yours too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Mark200 wrote: »
    Ridiculous stereotyping there.

^You should head over to Sarcasm detectors are us. They have a repair center.

Seeing someone who has plenty, winning the jackpot is fcuking annoying. And i mean someone who has considerable wealth. As in has a high paid job & a million or two in the bank.

Yeah you'd prefer to see them win the money over an unemployed couple with 2 or 3 kids, struggling to keep up with the mortgage. Course you would.:rolleyes:

Go on someone make out to be a begrudger, its so easy to point that word at people.

Good luck to whoever won it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

deelite wrote: »
    Do it in the bookies next time - I've got 3 numbers a few times and won 301 with them:D

Its a bit easier to get 3 on the lotto than in the bookies though, as you give the bookies 3 you think will come out, but 3 on the lotto is 3 out of 6. For example if you knew 3 of your numbers would come out in the draw, you would not know which 3 of 6 to give the bookies, but still, the lotto prizes are way below the odds of winning, 25k for 5 and bonus is ridiculous, i know most of us would be delighted with 25k, but its only 6 or 7 times easier than getting the jackpot, but the prize is a 80th of a 2 million euro jackpot.

Too many numbers (45) for our population as well to encourage more
    roll-overs and less winning jackpots, the initial jackpot is 2 million is it? But it does not go up by 2 million each draw, so the more roll-overs the more profit.

Dudess wrote: »
    Maybe. But begrudgery is resentment of anyone having good fortune/succeeding, nothing more. I guess I'm just discerning as to whom I begrudge.
    I, the almighty one, like that idea of yours too.
    I don't see why you stop being a begrudger just because you have narrowed down who you begrudge. Once a poor person wins the lotto do you then begrudge them further success?

I agree that calling out begrudgery is over done and often nonsense but that doesn't stop what you are doing as being any less begrudging.

^You should head over to Sarcasm detectors are us. They have a repair center.

Seeing someone who has plenty, winning the jackpot is fcuking annoying. And i mean someone who has considerable wealth. As in has a high paid job & a million or two in the bank.

Yeah you'd prefer to see them win the money over an unemployed couple with 2 or 3 kids, struggling to keep up with the mortgage. Course you would.:rolleyes:

Go on someone make out to be a begrudger, its so easy to point that word at people.

Good luck to whoever won it.
    Who has said this?:confused:

It's a game of luck, no one is more deserving of random chance than anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

A flea won the lotto around our way before.
    Man you should see the dog he bought in spain!
    Jealous.com :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Who has said this?:confused:

It's a game of luck, no one is more deserving of random chance than anyone else.

I dont know about that, no one is more likely to be the recipient of random chance than any other, but some might deserve it more, i think someome who has done nothing all their life but help others would deserve to win more than a person who goes around stealing peoples cars etc. But deserve has nothing to do with it alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

Gucky wrote: »
    A flea won the lotto around our way before.
    Man you should see the dog he bought in spain!
    Jealous.com :mad:

I hate the '.com' era we live in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Donnybrook Fair is the shop nearest to where my mum works and she's away at the moment so I thought for a second it could be her and she hadn't checked the numbers at home.

I texted her and she had won something. 1 euro. We're rich! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Walsh wrote: »
    I hate the '.com' era we live in!

Its so ghey.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Too many numbers (45) for our population as well to encourage more
    roll-overs and less winning jackpots, the initial jackpot is 2 million is it? But it does not go up by 2 million each draw, so the more roll-overs the more profit.

I don't think there is any profit. Pretty sure all the surplus goes towards charitable causes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Regardless of who won it and what area they bought the winning ticket in nobody could be as stupid as this ' former millionarie ' gob shyte Michael Carroll who squandered wait for it ....9.7 million

How fcuking sad is that ? :rolleyes: ( link below )

Even if I won a measly million :pac:..... after investments and living on the intrest alone , I would hope by same time the next year I had made at least another million

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1249209/Lotto-lout-Michael-Carroll-dole-squandering-millions.html

Latchy wrote: »
    Regardless of who won it and what area they bought the winning ticket in nobody could be as stupid as this ' former millionarie ' gob shyte Michael Carroll who squandered wait for it ....9.7 million

How fcuking sad is that ? :rolleyes: ( link below )

Even if I won a measly million :pac:..... after investments and living on the intrest alone , I would hope by same time the next year I had made at least another million

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1249209/Lotto-lout-Michael-Carroll-dole-squandering-millions.html
    100% return on an investment in one year:D

That makes me pretty confident you would lose it all pretty sharpish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

100% return on an investment in one year:D

That makes me pretty confident you would lose it all pretty sharpish.

Well am only generalising there , my point being if your going to blow a million pound on holidays, cars ,a house , friends etc with not a lot left over then so be it .But sticking it in the bank for a year with living of the intrest of say a few thousend quid a week .Then year two stretch it out as much as possible with a lil investment and turn over so that even a quarter million % profit at end of the year is something . I have always being thrifty with money when I have had to , being a millionarie would not change that ;)

A profit is a profit :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

How is a wealthy person winning a competition based on randomness unfair?
    Everyone has the same odds and an equal right to win.

If you buy say 30 lines you have 30 times greater a chance of winning than someone who buys one line, the rich can afford more lines if choose to spend their money that way.

Of course they have the right to win, an equally deserving right is another matter. ;) Still hopefully it was somone who needs money rather than an RTE "star name" eh?

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    If you buy say 30 lines you have 30 times greater a chance of winning than someone who buys one line, the rich can afford more lines if choose to spend their money that way.

Of course they have the right to win, an equally deserving right is another matter. ;) Still hopefully it was somone who needs money rather than an RTE "star name" eh?
    They have also increased their stake to 30 times greater so it works out as no advantage because they are taking a higher risk.
    an equally deserving right is another matter.
    Why wouldn't it be equally deserving right?

If a a group of rich people play a football match against poor people do the poor deserve to win simply because they are poor?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

The winner of Saturday's lotto jackpot picked up his €16.3 million cheque from the National Lottery offices in Dublin today.
    The man, who is from Dublin and wishes to remain anonymous, said he was “delighted to have won” and that he will share the win with his family.
    The winner, who becomes the 400th millionaire in Ireland's National Lottery history, purchased his ticket on the day before the draw at the Donnybrook Fair supermarket in Dublin 4.
    His ticket was €30 in value and included 'quickpick' selections, but the winning numbers were those he chose himself. His €16,390,239 winnings are tax free.
    Speaking at National Lottery headquarters, the winner said: “I don't play Lotto every week; however I'm more likely to play when the jackpot is a big amount, such as last weekend.”
    This jackpot now ranks as the third highest lotto jackpot since the game began in 1988. The largest jackpot remains the €18,963,441 won by sixteen members of the Dan Morrissey syndicate from Carlow in June 2008.
    The winner of the €250,000 Lotto Plus 2 top prize also picked up his winnings at lottery headquarters today.
    Wishing to remain anonymous, the man who purchased his ticket in Ballinasloe, Co Galway said: “I feel like I've won twice. I checked the numbers and saw there were two winners so I thought I'd won a half share - €125,000. I couldn't believe it when I discovered I'd won quarter of a million euro. It's fantastic.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

One fella did a €30 quickpick? :eek:

I thought it was a syndicate!

He's either a rich bastard or has a gambling problem. Or both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

how do you do a 30euro quickpick?

is it not 20 euro maximum per slip/quick pick?

i smell a fix

Advertisement