Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Messi v Ronaldo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Your incapable of debating a point without attacking the poster. If I believe question marks remain over Ronaldo performing against the best teams and on the biggest stage, thats not my opinion, I'm merely rehashing tabloid myths. Condescending tripe from you in my opinion.

I didn't attack you stumpy. Just the tired, second-hand RTE inspired drivel you're trying to pass off as your own in this thread.

There's no need to attack the poster when the posts themselves are this poor tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Messi every time. explanation for this would be messi is better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

flahavaj wrote: »
    I didn't attack you stumpy. Just the tired, second-hand RTE inspired drivel you're trying to pass off as your own in this thread.

There's no need to attack the poster when the posts themselves are this poor tbh.

Personal insults, because you've nothing to offer in the way of an opinion. As usual.

Personal insults, because you've nothing to offer in the way of an opinion. As usual.

LOL if you think anything I've said to you is a personal insult then you've lead a very sheltered life tbh. If saying someone's opinion is flawed and based on the opinions of a dinosaur that works for RTE is a personal insultthen I'd hate to see how you'd react if I really cut loose.

Grow up lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

LOL if you think anything I've said to you is a personal insult then you've lead a very sheltered life tbh. If saying someone's opinion is flawed and based on the opinions of a dinosaur that works for RTE is a personal insultthen I'd hate to see how you'd react if I really cut loose.

Grow up lad.

Discussion over. Lad.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Discussion over. Lad.:rolleyes:

Bye stumpy!

*waves*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Mate that's complete bs. You've said twice that I can remember "solid argument as ever :rolleyes:" how is that not an attack on him?
    Complex imo :pac:
    NOM NOM NOM

And will the pair of you go get laid and vent that energy some where else because to be quit frank the reason I use this soccer forums at all is it seems to be able to avoid child like arguments like the one ye just had..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Lionel Messi
    Davaeo09 wrote: »
    the reason I use this soccer forums at all is it seems to be able to avoid child like arguments like the one ye just had..

Hi, you must be new here. Let me show you around. On your left you have the Man Utd thread. Down the hall is the Liverpool thread, and every now and then we have a Man Utd vs Liverpool thread call over for drinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Lionel Messi
    MOG7 wrote: »
    Of course Hercules are an average side, they have only won 2 of 9 League games this season and drawn 4, thats very average.

Real have AC and Athleico Madrid in the next week, we'll see how Ronaldo does in these 2 big games.

I take your word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Lionel Messi
    Are there still people out there who doubt the legend of Ronaldo? Strange that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

kryogen wrote: »
    Are there still people out there who doubt the legend of Ronaldo? Strange that

Ronaldo's great, Messi's greater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

L'prof wrote: »
    Ronaldo's great, Messi's greater.

ron is good messi is the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Just see Ronaldo's interview on Sky before the CL games and i thought he came across very well, i hated him during his Man Utd days but he impressed me in the interview, and then during the game i'm not sure if anyone seen his play acting but it was disgraceful, he is a clown.

It really is laughable, reminded me of this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Ronaldo has a thunderbolt shot on him & he's great on the air but he dosent have that bit of guile & genius that Messi has.

I wouldnt put Ronaldo in the same class as players like Zidane,Iniesta,Henry,R9,R10 etc...Messi on the other hand fits in perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Lionel Messi
    tdv123 wrote: »
    Zidane,Iniesta,Henry,R9,R10 etc...Messi on the other hand fits in perfectly.

Iniesta, Henry, Fatnaldo and Rooney don't even come close to either of these two. Zidane - yes.
    MOG7 wrote: »
    i'm not sure if anyone [saw] his play acting but it was disgraceful, he is a clown.

Reminded me of Busquets in the SF last year. Not quite as ridiculous though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Ronaldo has a thunderbolt shot on him & he's great on the air but he dosent have that bit of guile & genius that Messi has.

I wouldnt put Ronaldo in the same class as players like Zidane,Iniesta,Henry,R9,R10 etc...Messi on the other hand fits in perfectly.

Really? I couldn't disagree more. I think that Ronaldo fits majestically in there.

Xavi, Zidane, Inzaghi, Maldini, Batistuta, Iniesta, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Makelele, Scholes, Giggs, Bergkamp, Matthaus, Zanetti, Romario, Stoichkov, Figo, Zamarano, Suker, Cannavaro, Litmanen, Nedved, Deschamps, Cantona, Klinsmann, Buffon, Roberto Baggio, Totti, Vieri, Del Piero, Rijkaard, Seedorf, Romario, van Basten, Shevchenko, Cruyff, Baresi, Rui Costa, Gullit, Messi, Kaka, Cristiano Ronaldo etc. etc. along with loads more I left out here accidentally.

He certainly isn't out of place on that list. They are/were all class players. Ronaldo will go down as a great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

tolosenc wrote: »
    Iniesta, Henry, Fatnaldo and Rooney don't even come close to either of these two. Zidane - yes.

That's a joke right? Ronaldo is one of the greatest if not the greatest, in the eyes of some, player of all time. That Fatnaldo was a world class player. Show a bit of respect. In his prime, he was unstoppable.

Reminded me of Busquets in the SF last year. Not quite as ridiculous though.

Lol, are you suggestion that Cristiano Ronaldo is better than Iniesta, Henry & The Real Ronaldo? Thats pretty bloody funny. I didnt mention Rooney btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Lol, are you suggestion that Cristiano Ronaldo is better than Iniesta, Henry & The Real Ronaldo? Thats pretty bloody funny. I didnt mention Rooney btw.

He was definitely better than henry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Well his goal per game ratio over the last few years is equal if not better than the others, and C.Ronaldo is a winger;)

• Advertisement

Le King wrote: »
    Really? I couldn't disagree more. I think that Ronaldo fits majestically in there.

Xavi, Zidane, Inzaghi, Maldini, Batistuta, Iniesta, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Makelele, Scholes, Giggs, Bergkamp, Matthaus, Zanetti, Romario, Stoichkov, Figo, Zamarano, Suker, Cannavaro, Litmanen, Nedved, Deschamps, Cantona, Klinsmann, Buffon, Roberto Baggio, Totti, Vieri, Del Piero, Rijkaard, Seedorf, Romario, van Basten, Shevchenko, Cruyff, Baresi, Rui Costa, Gullit, Messi, Kaka, Cristiano Ronaldo etc. etc. along with loads more I left out here accidentally.

He certainly isn't out of place on that list. They are/were all class players. Ronaldo will go down as a great.

Well he'd fit in the same bracket as the likes of Cantona,Suker,Makelele,Zamaraono,Inzaghi & the likes. Who were all terrific players in there own right but I think just fall short as the stand out players of there generations.

What I mean is Zidane,Maldini or R9 could all have an argument as the greatest of there generation but someone like Cantona or Inzaghi would not come up in this argument. Same goes CR7.

Thats just my opinion tho other people might regard him as one of the greatest of his generation I certainly don't however.

• Moderators Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭x PyRo

DOC09UNAM wrote: »

Whuuuut?

No he wasn't.

That my friend, is a very, very controversial statement.

Well his goal per game ratio over the last few years is equal if not better than the others, and C.Ronaldo is a winger;)

I'm aware of his great scoring record. His great goal scoring record dose not mean he is automatically better tho.

No, no he was not.

x PyRo wrote: »
    Whuuuut?

No he wasn't.
    That my friend, is a very, very controversial statement.
    No, no he was not.

What makes henry better than him?

If you had the choice of putting only one of them in your team, it would have to be Ronaldo, 10 times out of 10.

If you had the choice of putting only one of them in your team, it would have to be Ronaldo, 10 times out of 10.

If you were to make a poll 'C.Ronaldo vs. Henry in prime', it would be very close I would imagine. It's all about personal preference really.

You cannot say Ronaldo is definetely a better player than Henry with that level of certainty, just like you can't say Henry was better than Ronaldo with 100% confidence.

Your level of confidence and certainty staggers me, and quite frankly, is worrying.

More guile & substance to his play for one thing.

How about being a World Cup, European Championship,Champions League & Trebel winner?

What about being Frances & Arsenals all time record goalscorer?

Or leading a very young Arsenal team to the Champions League final while ripping new arsholes out of the likes of Inter,Juvue & Madrid.

More guile & substance to his play for one thing.

How about being a World Cup, European Championship,Champions League & Trebel winner?

What about being Frances & Arsenals all time record goalscorer?

Or leading a very young Arsenal team to the Champions League final while ripping new arsholes out of the likes of Inter,Juvue & Madrid.

Didn't ronaldo take united to Winning a champions league, regardless, trophys is probably the stupidest way of judging a play i've ever seen, besides guile and substance of course.

You are right soccer4life, I was overly confident, what I should have said, is that when the chips are in, and both players have retired, ronaldo will go down as the better player in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Lionel Messi
    Critiano Ronaldo will go down as one of if not the greatest player to ever play the game when he retires

Henry wont. He will go down as one of the best of his generation yes. He will not be remembered with the Maradonas and the Peles of the game

This is my opinion, i am not stating it as fact

Didn't ronaldo take united to Winning a champions league, regardless, trophys is probably the stupidest way of judging a play i've ever seen, besides guile and substance of course.

You are right soccer4life, I was overly confident, what I should have said, is that when the chips are in, and both players have retired, ronaldo will go down as the better player in my opinion.

Well its better than your way of just pronouncing that Ronaldo is better without an actual reason as to why.

kryogen wrote: »
    Critiano Ronaldo will go down as one of if not the greatest player to ever play the game when he retires

Henry wont. He will go down as one of the best of his generation yes. He will not be remembered with the Maradonas and the Peles of the game

This is my opinion,
    i am not stating it as fact

Well its wrong.

Well its wrong.

You are stating an opinion based on future events is wrong?!

Have you got time travelling equipment or can you just see the future?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Lionel Messi
    Well its wrong.

Had a small look through your posting history there, you commented in 3 of these threads about United players, Ronaldo, Cantona and Nani. Each time the United player has been considerably worse in your eyes with little or no evidence to back it up. I've no problem someone having a different opinion but when they don't back it up and make silly speculative comments it makes it difficult to take your comments seriously. The posts all stink of bias.

You are stating an opinion based on future events is wrong?!

Have you got time travelling equipment or can you just see the future?

I don't need too see into the future I can already tell from having watched Ronaldo play over the last few years & calculating from the progression he has already made I can tell that he will not reach the same heights as Maradona or Pele.

• Advertisement

I don't need too see into the future I can already tell from having watched Ronaldo play over the last few years & calculating from the progression he has already made I can tell that he will not reach the same heights as Maradona or Pele.

Congratulations, for once i'm actually lost for words, I only have the one.

Ha

Liam O wrote: »
    Had a small look through your posting history there, you commented in 3 of these threads about United players, Ronaldo, Cantona and Nani. Each time the United player has been considerably worse in your eyes with little or no evidence to back it up. I've no problem someone having a different opinion but when they don't back it up and make silly speculative comments it makes it difficult to take your comments seriously. The posts all stink of bias.

I have nothing against Man United. I think they have had some wonderful players over the last few years.

Keane & Scholes are two of the greatest midfielders of the generation & in Scholes possibly the best. Giggs,Beckham,Stam etc... Were all masters at what they did aswell.

Cantona was great in the Premiership alright but how the hell can you call him one of the best players of all time when he couldnt do it against the best defenders & teams.

Nani has a few good games & people starting talking about him as if he was the new Best.

And biased towards who? I don't support any team.

I'm just trying to put thing into perspective here & not get carried away with all the hype. Get a grip United fans.

Congratulations, for once i'm actually lost for words, I only have the one.

Ha

In fairness your always a man of few words anyway.

In fairness your always a man of few words anyway.

I'll take that as a compliment, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Decent enough read from the BBC. Their stats are something else. Messi is involved in 80% of Barca's goals, Ronaldo 60% in Real's. Messi has scored 54 goals in 48 apps for Barca in 2010, Ronaldo 38 in 42 apps in 2010.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jonathanstevenson/2010/11/messi_and_ronaldo_rivals_in_gr.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Both of them coming up against each other now on Monday night in one of the biggest games of the year, we'll see who does the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Richard Noggin

It's difficult to talk-up one to the detriment of the other, two special footballers.

Having said that,I prefer watching Messi.His skill and guile really make him a joy to watch. Ronaldo is possibly equally effective all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

All the stats i have seen back up what i always believed, Messi is the more effective player in terms of passes completed, goals, goals per shots and assists. I can also see Messi adapting better as they age and lose a bit of their explosiveness, if that's a word. With Messi's vision and passing ability you can easily see him playing deeper to great effect late in his career. People say Ronaldo is the more complete player because of his greater physicality and ability in the air but i think Messi could play more positions, and for me is the more complete player. I see no reason why he can't play a similar role to Xavi, if needs be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Messi's the best player i've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Stupid thread really. But if I could play along side one ever it would be Messi, he does things NO ONE else can do...
    Yes Ronaldos effective but Messi has that "speacial" kind of class that only comes around once in a while.

Also when debating this this statement always pops up
    "Messi is the better footballer
    Ronaldo the better athelete"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Lionel Messi
    Davaeo09 wrote: »
    Stupid thread really. But if I could play along side one ever it would be Messi, he does things NO ONE else can do...
    Yes Ronaldos effective but Messi has that "speacial" kind of class that only comes around once in a while.

Also when debating this this statement always pops up
    "Messi is the better footballer
    Ronaldo the better athelete"

so does Ronaldo. Honestly I think this is like the Pele versus Maradona debate. The way I see it, Ronaldo has proven himself in 2 leagues playing a multitude of positions whereas Messi has always been in his comfort zone for Barca with better midfielders than Ronaldo has or probably ever will play with. They are both fantastic players but to say Ronaldo is just a better athlete when there's things that he's clearly better at doing than Messi and vice versa is just plain wrong imo.

Could Messi lead the line as well as Ronaldo for instance? Would he be able to take on Stoke on a cold winters day and not go missing? They are both the best of their generation imo and very hard to separate. People just fawn over Messi because of how much the likes of the Sky commentators cream over him. A lot of it is justified but they make the simple things he does out to be like he has produced something that nobody else could and ignore his bad side a lot more than Ronaldo's. Nothing against the player as I think he is a genius and on some days I'd have him ahead of Ronaldo, same as on other days I'd have Ronaldo ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

messi all day long for me. its got nothing to do with commentators SKY or otherwise. i think messi is the better player full stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Lionel Messi
    Liam O wrote: »
    so does Ronaldo. Honestly I think this is like the Pele versus Maradona debate. The way I see it, Ronaldo has proven himself in 2 leagues playing a multitude of positions whereas Messi has always been in his comfort zone for Barca with better midfielders than Ronaldo has or probably ever will play with. They are both fantastic players but to say Ronaldo is just a better athlete when there's things that he's clearly better at doing than Messi and vice versa is just plain wrong imo.

Could Messi lead the line as well as Ronaldo for instance? Would he be able to take on Stoke on a cold winters day and not go missing? They are both the best of their generation imo and very hard to separate. People just fawn over Messi because of how much the likes of the Sky commentators cream over him. A lot of it is justified but they make the simple things he does out to be like he has produced something that nobody else could and ignore his bad side a lot more than Ronaldo's. Nothing against the player as I think he is a genius and on some days I'd have him ahead of Ronaldo, same as on other days I'd have Ronaldo ahead of him.

+1

Look at it this way: If they were to be playing at a team like Birmingham, for example - Ronaldo would still be great, whereas Messi's game would suffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

+1

Look at it this way: If they were to be playing at a team like Birmingham, for example - Ronaldo would still be great, whereas Messi's game would suffer.

how so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Lionel Messi
    Ah now.

I'm as big a Ronaldo > Messi believer as there is, but to suggest Messi would struggle against Birmingham is fairly laughable.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement