Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Messi v Ronaldo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

i think what hes trying to say is if both were playing for birmingham messi would suffer more because the service he would get would be poor. i think thats BS to be honest. some of messis best work is done when he drops back into midfield picks up the ball and runs at defenders. he doesnt need chances set up on a plate

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

tolosenc wrote: »
    +1

Look at it this way: If they were to be playing at a team like Birmingham, for example - Ronaldo would still be great, whereas Messi's game would suffer.

He'd rip apart Madrid,Arsenal,United & Chelsea but yea against Birmingham he would suffer the most. :rolleyes:

What are people smoking around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

tdv123 wrote: »
    He'd rip apart Madrid,Arsenal,United & Chelsea but yea against Birmingham he would suffer the most. :rolleyes:

What are people smoking around here.
    I dunno what you're smoking, but I read that as if they were at birmingham (FOR them, NOT against them).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

tolosenc wrote: »
    +1

Look at it this way: If they were to be playing at a team like Birmingham, for example - Ronaldo would still be great, whereas Messi's game would suffer.

What an odd thing to say. And something you cannot say with any certainty whatsoever.

Lest it be forgotten, it was Messi who scored a late brace against Shaktar Donetsk a few seasons ago to win the game for Barca on a cold Ukranian November evening. Whatever that means!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Oh snap!
    I disagree with the comfort zone statement. Look at Ronaldo for portugal... Where as now Messi and his Argentina team are a force to be reckoned with.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQAZCkaCGws

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    Oh snap!
    I disagree with the comfort zone statement. Look at Ronaldo for portugal... Where as now Messi and his Argentina team are a force to be reckoned with.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQAZCkaCGws
    Portugal lost 1-0 to the eventual Winners.
    Argentina lost 4-0 to the 3rd place team.

I don't see how that makes Argentina a force to be reckoned with, over Portugal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Portugal lost 1-0 to the eventual Winners.
    Argentina lost 4-0 to the 3rd place team.

I don't see how that makes Argentina a force to be reckoned with, over Portugal.

Since then they've beaten the winners and Brazil...
    New manager.

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    Since then they've beaten the winners and Brazil...
    New manager.
    Yes, but also since then, portgual beat the winners 4-0.

We'll see them battling each other again, internationally on the 9th of February.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    I dunno what you're smoking, but I read that as if they were at birmingham (FOR them, NOT against them).

Even still it's an outlandish claim to make with no evidence to back it up.

• Advertisement

/thread

CR7 once again did not show last night. The question has now been answered (again) that messi is the superior player. He might be shít against Wigan, but he is great against the big teams :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Messi being surrounded by a cohesive unit that have played together for years certainly helps him tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

Messi is the reason the Barcelona team worked.

Ronaldo is the reason the Madrid team didn't work.

But that's only based on last nights game. Ronaldo is a great player but Messi is heading for Greatness (I personally think he'll be remembered as the Greatest).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Yep, this thread is officially dead. This 23 year old kid called Messi will go on to be the greatest player of all time. Ronaldo isnt fit to tie his boots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Tom10 wrote: »

But that's only based on last nights game. Ronaldo is a great player but Messi is heading for Greatness (I personally think he'll be remembered as the Greatest).

As much as I'm not a huge, huge fan of CR7, I think that's harsh.

Madrid were tactically set up badly so most of the blame I would lay at the managers door for last night.

Ush1 wrote: »
    As much as I'm not a huge, huge fan of CR7, I think that's harsh.

Madrid were tactically set up badly so most of the blame I would lay at the managers door for last night.

Harsh perhaps but I honestly felt that when the ball went to him it ended the move for Madrid. I think though it's fair to say he wasn't alone in doing that for Madrid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Tom10 wrote: »

Sorry but Xavi is the reason that Barca team worked. Messi was brilliant yet again but i still believe Xavi is the player that makes the tick. Ronaldo was piss poor again, people saying he didn't get as much ball or whatever is fair enough but he did nothing when he did get the ball, nothing.

Messi > Cristiano Ronaldo /thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Messi > C Ronaldo. No doubt anymore.

But to say Messi is the reason that barca works is crazy. Xavi and Iniesta were absolutely unreal last night.

You could have taken Messi out of that team and they would still have obliterated Real. Shocking stuff from Madrid, very disappointed in the special one :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Messi would be a great player if he stopped falling over in a slight breeze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Xavi>>Messi>>>Ronaldo

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Messi would be a great player if he stopped falling over in a slight breeze

That is an extremely mis informed post right there. If anything Messi stays on his feet too much, plenty times he is fouled but he will just keep plugging away when if he went over, he would get the foul. Instead the ref will play advantage, sometimes when the advantage is not really there.

For example, see when Messi picks up the ball here. The opposition player has both arms around him, but he fights clear. Almost every other player in the world would have went down to take the foul. Check the reckless tackle thrown in a few seconds later. If Messi was such an horrific diver, he would have went flying.

That is just 2 examples from one passage of play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

^^^^How dare you disagree with me with such a detailed responce

LOL @ those suggesting Messi dives as a policy. Maybe if they tuned in more than once or twice a season they'd know. Anyone who watches him every week knows the truth.

I'm also a United fan, and watched Ronaldo every week, and his diver tag is more than justified. Both players are fouled a lot in fairness to them, but Messi is way more inclined to just get on with it and attempt to stay on his feet, whereas Ronaldo will either dive, or stand, hands on hips, with a "how dare they attempt to tackle me" expression on him and then sulk for 10 minutes.

For me, Messi is so much better than Ronaldo that I find it laughable that a poll was even needed. That's not a slate on Ronaldo, it's a testament to Messi's brilliance.

Ronaldo = individual, capable of brilliance, but he's an ego maniac with an awful team ethic. He can dribble but relies too much on his pace and strength meaning that when he loses this, he will be far less effective. IMO he will go down in history alongside the likes of Rivaldo, Ronaldinho etc.

Messi can do everything Ronaldo does but where he excels is that he can drop very deep and deliver incisive passes that Xavi would be proud of ON A REGULAR BASIS. He also is the epitomy of team player. Very unselfish. And that for me sets him far apart from Ronaldo. messi will, IMO, go down in history alongside Maradona and Zidane.

Ronaldo is 2 years older and should be at a higher level than Messi because of this, but he's not.

For me it isn't even a close contest. Messi has so much more to his game than Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

he's gone, now everyone back on topic, or there'll be more use of the ban-paddle

jasper.jpg

MOG7 wrote: »
    Sorry but Xavi is the reason that Barca team worked. Messi was brilliant yet again but i still believe Xavi is the player that makes the tick. Ronaldo was piss poor again, people saying he didn't get as much ball or whatever is fair enough but he did nothing when he did get the ball, nothing.

Messi > Cristiano Ronaldo /thread

I'll absolutely agree that Xavi is integral to the system but I think that it is Messi that makes it work. I mean Xavi was in the team a long time now and Barca wasn't what it is now. If you look over the last few seasons it is when Messi has been injured that Barca have struggled. He is the one that usually has the final say in a goal scoring move.

Xavi is crucial but Messi is the spark that usually finishes Xavi's perfect metronomic passing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

Messi is a better footballer and a better human. Ronaldo is....a brat.

Boards should do a poll to see how many people refer to Ronaldo as CR7. IMO its a term that should be banned from any football forum or discussion. Unless of course you're ten years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

LOL @ those suggesting Messi dives as a policy. Maybe if they tuned in more than once or twice a season they'd know. Anyone who watches him every week knows the truth.

I'm also a United fan, and watched Ronaldo every week, and his diver tag is more than justified. Both players are fouled a lot in fairness to them, but Messi is way more inclined to just get on with it and attempt to stay on his feet, whereas Ronaldo will either dive, or stand, hands on hips, with a "how dare they attempt to tackle me" expression on him and then sulk for 10 minutes.

For me, Messi is so much better than Ronaldo that I find it laughable that a poll was even needed. That's not a slate on Ronaldo, it's a testament to Messi's brilliance.

Ronaldo = individual, capable of brilliance, but he's an ego maniac with an awful team ethic. He can dribble but relies too much on his pace and strength meaning that when he loses this, he will be far less effective. IMO he will go down in history alongside the likes of Rivaldo, Ronaldinho etc.

Messi can do everything Ronaldo does but where he excels is that he can drop very deep and deliver incisive passes that Xavi would be proud of ON A REGULAR BASIS. He also is the epitomy of team player. Very unselfish. And that for me sets him far apart from Ronaldo. messi will, IMO, go down in history alongside Maradona and Zidane.

Ronaldo is 2 years older and should be at a higher level than Messi because of this, but he's not.

For me it isn't even a close contest. Messi has so much more to his game than Ronaldo.

100% bang on the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    Do you know CR7 personally?
    One shouldn't judge people just on the way they act on the pitch

gustavo wrote: »
    Do you know CR7 personally?

:rolleyes:

You're right, who knows. Same goes for WR10 and JT26, LM10, C3P0 and r2d2.

I shouldn't judge or make assumptions. Perhaps not everybody who refers to football players using their initials and number is a complete ............... Who knows? They're probably actually really cool people. I highly doubt it, but the world is a strange place.

I will continue to call him CR7 as it is the type of name that suits him perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Lionel Messi
    gimmick wrote: »
    I will continue to call him CR7 as it is the type of name that suits him perfectly.

A multi million dollar icon?

You said it bruh!

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »

And people wonder why Boards soccer trails behind many of the other football forums...

Good for you though, spread the word of "CR7" , buy the "CR7" T-shirt, boots, and cap. Maybe his team will release a "CR7" credit card.

This is not football, this is marketing. Brilliant marketing all the same. However, in my opinion its a bit pathetic, doubly so if you're an adult and fall for it.

Ronaldo is human, not a god or a robot, or a ten cent rapper. He was found out yet again last night. Not for want of talent, but for want of character. We all know he's second only to Messi in terms of natural ability, but when it comes to the crunch he's a spoiled child who always looks 5 mins away from grabbing the ball and walking home if things aren't going his way.

In a world of Fifa corruption, spoiled footballers, Italian coaches, and Manchester City, Barca are the only team keeping real football alive. Thank God for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Lionel Messi
    And people wonder why Boards soccer trails behind many of the other football forums...

Good for you though, spread the word of "CR7" , buy the "CR7" T-shirt, boots, and cap. Maybe his team will release a "CR7" credit card.

This is not football, this is marketing. Brilliant marketing all the same. However, in my opinion its a bit pathetic, doubly so if you're an adult and fall for it.

Ronaldo is human, not a god or a robot, or a ten cent rapper. He was found out yet again last night. Not for want of talent, but for want of character. We all know he's second only to Messi in terms of natural ability, but when it comes to the crunch he's a spoiled child who always looks 5 mins away from grabbing the ball and walking home if things aren't going his way.

In a world of Fifa corruption, spoiled footballers, Italian coaches, and Manchester City, Barca are the only team keeping real football alive. Thank God for that.

I think you've mistaken what gimmick said as a compliment.

As for "And people wonder why Boards soccer trails behind many of the other football forums...", please do tell me which ones you frequent that are better.

If you don't like it here, then get the fúck out tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Whats that got to do with it?

Where does that leave this fella in the pantheon of the greats in that case?

marad.jpg

Archimedes wrote: »
    I think you've mistaken what gimmick said as a compliment..

No. I didn't.
    Archimedes wrote: »
    As for "And people wonder why Boards soccer trails behind many of the other football forums...", please do tell me which ones you frequent that are better.

If you don't like it here, then get the fúck out tbh.

I never said I didn't like it here. IMO its sometimes very superficial and fickle. Which on second thoughts is probably an accurate reflection of the average football fan.

BTW if I wanted advice from you, I'd ask for it. Believe me, I will never ask for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

flahavaj wrote: »

marad.jpg

A gent

Whats that got to do with it?

marad.jpg

Maradona done more damage to himself than anyone else. Ok he shot a pepper gun (or whatever it was) at a paparazzi but really that was about it. Maradona has helped a hell of a lot of poor people back in Argentina and has done more good than harm. His place amongst the greats is guaranteed.

He also blatantly cheated and tested positive for banned substances - but thats getting away from the point.

My point is not to put down Maradona (absolute hero IMO) its simply that banging on about what kind of person a player is has no place in a thread comparing the footballing abilities of two players.

Great post. Look forward to your next one C_R

My point is not to put down Maradona (absolute hero IMO) its simply that banging on about what kind of person a player is has no place in a thread comparing the footballing abilities of two players.

Of course its relevant. When things aren't going well for Ronaldo he sulks. Thats his character. Thats part of the person he is. If he was a bit more humble and less the egomaniac he'd be a better player. He'd probably be equal to Messi.

His personality lets him down on the pitch. He blames everyone else if things aren't going well. He lets down the team, prime example, United Barca champions league final. This was repeated last night.

For people to say you should compare Messi and Ronaldo without talking about their character is laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Of course its relevant. When things aren't going well for Ronaldo he sulks. Thats his character. Thats part of the person he is. If he was a bit more humble and less the egomaniac he'd be a better player. He'd probably be equal to Messi.

His personality lets him down on the pitch. He blames everyone else if things aren't going well. He lets down the team, prime example, United Barca champions league final. This was repeated last night.

For people to say you should compare Messi and Ronaldo without talking about their character is laughable.

Nah, if CR7 tried to turn and shift closely like Messi does, he'd fall over.

He's 6 foot 1, Messi is 5 foot 7. Simple physics really!:pac:

If Ronaldo was abit more humble and less an egomaniac he wouldn't be half the player tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Turning this argument into a personality contest is as retarded as it is seemingly inevitable IMO.

Messi being better than Ronaldo has very little to do with one's perceived humble character compared to the other's perceived egomaniacal one. it isn't what separates the two at all; in fact, it's what makes it somewhat a contest (though it isn't really).

Ronaldo's ego makes him what he is. it drove him to become the best he could possibly be. he's all about himself, and he's never made any secret of it. if he it wasn't about him, he would not have driven himself to be the player he is.

Messi's character (most of the time), makes him more likeable, and it fits him nicely into the cohesive system that is prevalent at Barca. but Ronaldo's character suits the way his teams have played. it's all about making space for him to do his thing. Ferguson indulged him. i haven't watched enough Real to know if José does.

but when indulged, he has proven himself to be as unstoppable as Messi.

so while it could be argued that Ronaldo's ego takes him a notch below Messi; he'd have never been even kind of close to Messi in terms of stature if he wasn't the self-obsessed man he is IMO.

SlickRic wrote: »
    Messi being better than Ronaldo has very little to do with one's perceived humble character compared to the other's perceived egomaniacal one. it isn't what separates the two at all; in fact, it's what makes it somewhat a contest (though it isn't really).

Ronaldo's ego makes him what he is. it drove him to become the best he could possibly be. he's all about himself, and he's never made any secret of it. if he it wasn't about him, he would not have driven himself to be the player he is.

Messi's character (most of the time), makes him more likeable, and it fits him nicely into the cohesive system that is prevalent at Barca. but Ronaldo's character suits the way his teams have played. it's all about making space for him to do his thing. Ferguson indulged him. i haven't watched enough Real to know if José does.

but when indulged, he has proven himself to be as unstoppable as Messi.

so while it could be argued that Ronaldo's ego takes him a notch below Messi; he'd have never been even kind of close to Messi in terms of stature if he wasn't the self-obsessed man he is IMO.

100% spot on. He wouldn't have scored that goal away to Porto in the Cl a few years back unless he had such a big ego.

Anyway as keano said, banging on about how mch better a "human" Messi is than Ronaldo has no place in this thread.

If Messi keeps on improving the way he is doing now he will undoubtably become the best player ever. He is only 23 and still has a lot to learn. The way he plays the game is a joy to behold and its obvious that he loves what he is doing. Messi can perform in the biggest games. There is a theory that Ronaldo never does it on the big stage and he backed this up again last night. Messi meanwhile was Man of the Match. There is no doubt that Messi is a better player than Ronaldo. I mean how much is he worth - if Ronaldo was sold for €90m then surely Messi is worth at least €150m.

• Advertisement

There's no doubt that Messi is a better player but why you'd try to compare their relative merits based on a match where one team was absolutely mauled by another makes no sense to me.

100% spot on. He wouldn't have scored that goal away to Porto in the Cl a few years back unless he had such a big ego..

Likewise he wouldn't have missed countless such shots at the first part of this season it it wasn't for his ego.
    Anyway as keano said, banging on about how mch better a "human" Messi is than Ronaldo has no place in this thread.

I disagree, Ronaldo's character means he scores some fantastic goals however, he also misses countless ludicrous efforts that frustrate team-mates. He's a greedy player and this ties in with his ego, so it is relevant. Although this season he has made more efforts to create goals for the team, he still falls well behind Messi in the assist department.

Does one great goal make up for countless team goals? I don't think so.

Warper wrote: »
    There is a theory that Ronaldo never does it on the big stage and he backed this up again last night.

bullshít.

it's a theory that comes up the odd time he has a bad game.

remember Real's team was awful last night, not just Ronaldo.

Ronaldo has done it in the biggest games, against big rivals, in the highest pressure matches. Messi is more consistent in this department, but it does not mean Ronaldo doesn't do it on the big stage.

seriously, i wish i could ban people for peddling these myths.

Likewise he wouldn't have missed countless such shots at the first part of this season it it wasn't for his ego.

I disagree, Ronaldo's character means he scores some fantastic goals however, he also misses countless ludicrous efforts that frustrate team-mates. He's a greedy player and this ties in with his ego, so it is relevant. Although this season he has made more efforts to create goals for the team, he still falls well behind Messi in the assist department.

Does any of this make him less of a good "human" as you ludicrously claimed?

Naw.

Not really.

PlayerTeamAssists 1 Lionel Messi Barcelona 7 2 Xabi Prieto Real Sociedad 6 3 Cristiano Ronaldo Real Madrid 5

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement