Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Messi v Ronaldo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Iniesta is better than both of them. Controversial!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Bohrio wrote: »
    I think the main difference between Messi and Cristiano is that Messi is a team player and Cristiano not so much.

Messi might not score in a game but that doesnt mean he hasnt made the difference.

Messi tackles, fights for the ball, puts pressure on the opponent, is always running up and down the pitch. For example, on yesterdays game he run for a total distance of 8 km. Cristiano just can't match this, mostly because he doesnt want to.

he is an excellent player but he is just on a different level to Messi

How much distance did Ronaldo cover yesterday? Your point would be much better if you disclosed both statistics, but alas, people never do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Ronaldo is nowhere near the level of Messi, he completely disappears when it matters while Messi never seems to give in and runs, harries and chases down balls til the end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

PHB wrote: »
    Iniesta is better than both of them. Controversial!

Not so controversial. I'm not even sure Ronaldo was the fourth best player on that pitch last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Last night MOM for me was Diarra, so judging on one game is a wee bit silly.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote: »
    Last night MOM for me was Diarra, so judging on one game is a wee bit silly.

I disagree, I just think that it proves that neither messi or Ronaldo are as good as diarra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    How much distance did Ronaldo cover yesterday? Your point would be much better if you disclosed both statistics, but alas, people never do.

Ur right as I heard it on TV dont have proof of that, but If u want statistics I will give you statistics, Messi attempts on targer 3, Cristiano 0, Messi attempts on goal 2, Cristiano 0, Messi Faults commited 2, Ronaldo 1, Messi faults received 11 (Madrid total number of faults was 30), Cristiano 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Mark! wrote: »
    The rest i agree with but Free Kicks, do people really believe he is one of the best free kick takers around? The way he hits the ball it can go anywhere, mostly into the wall or the crowd, fair enough when he does hit the target it moves so much the keeper doesn't know where it is going, but neither does Ronaldo. Also i don't know where people get the idea that it is his style of free kick, Juninho has been doing it for years and has been a lot more succesful.

No offence but I think your opinion is skewed because he had a few bad ones in the Champions League recently. His free kick taking has been fairly consistent all year and he even hit the post against Barca recently and had the keeper beat all ends up.

So yes I really believe he is one of the best around. Anywhere within 40 yards is a dangerous free kick which is quite an asset to have and it's rare you see a keeper actually catch one of his shots meaning that it can spill out for other players to get a few knock ins. While Juninho has been doing it for years Juninho never consistently got the dip on the ball that Ronaldo can get. Juninho was great at smashing them but when Ronaldo hits them the ball goes up and down humourously quickly. When he's close to goal he often doesn't try to get it over the wall and just hits it to the keepers side but with the power he generates you often see keepers struggling to get a hand to it.

LOL I can't imagine it was far off 8km anyway that wasn't much of a stat!! He might even have him beat :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

IMO this shouldn't even be a poll.

Messi by a country mile.

Not saying that Ronaldo isn't a quality player, he is - he just has to many bad attributes that take away from his performances IMO.

Ronaldo is a superb header / striker of a football though. Messi has a better all round game - and does all his magic without the silly tricks.

• Advertisement

Bohrio wrote: »
    Ur right as I heard it on TV dont have proof of that, but If u want statistics I will give you statistics, Messi attempts on targer 3, Cristiano 0, Messi attempts on goal 2, Cristiano 0, Messi Faults commited 2, Ronaldo 1, Messi faults received 11 (Madrid total number of faults was 30), Cristiano 1.

Faults? Did they play a tennis match or something after the football?

But in all seriousness, that means absolutely nothing, Messi is playing in the most talented squad in the world right now, you put Ronaldo in there instead of him, and you can almost guarantee similar results, he's been doing it with an inferior Real Madrid this reason tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

But in all seriousness, that means absolutely nothing, Messi is playing in the most talented squad in the world right now, you put Ronaldo in there instead of him, and you can almost guarantee similar results, he's been doing it with an inferior Real Madrid this reason tbh.

If you swapped Ronaldo into the Barca team for Messi Barca's level of performance would drop considerably imo.

keane2097 wrote: »
    If you swapped Ronaldo into the Barca team for Messi Barca's level of performance would drop considerably imo.

It could go one way or the other, and it's a shame we'll never find out.

shít, I didn't think this through properly.

Damn you keane :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

jive wrote: »
    No offence but I think your opinion is skewed because he had a few bad ones in the Champions League recently. His free kick taking has been fairly consistent all year and he even hit the post against Barca recently and had the keeper beat all ends up.

So yes I really believe he is one of the best around.

I watch Spanish football most weekends and have watched more than half of the televised games he played for United and I can say with some confidence he is one of the worst free kick takers in the World. For someone who takes so many "Ronaldo rocket" free kicks he has very few goals. 90 % go into the wall or into row Z. He is a great striker of the ball and when he hits it sweet the shots are amazing. To have him mentioned along side Juninho is ridiculous. Juninho nearly scored all his goals from free kicks and he was nearly guaranteed a goal every 2 games. Ronaldo would be up there with Roberto Carlos i.e. score a few good ones but the vast majority of the time is a waste of an attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Lionel Messi
    keane2097 wrote: »
    they are different players. I think Ronaldo would be a much better Ibrahimovic (something Barca really lack) and considering the amount of goals the likes of Pedro can get in that system, goals wise I'd say he and Messi would be similar, for overall play, probably Messi but Ronaldo has been vastly improved on his pressing this season. It's not a squash by any means.

Ronaldo is in a great team, unfortunately a great team that isn't quite at Barca's level of consistency yet. The amount of new players every season is really holding them back as we've seen the effect putting someone new in the Barca system has had to that player's output and slightly to the team as they try to create chances for him when it's not the best option.

FrostyJack wrote: »
    I watch Spanish football most weekends and have watched more than half of the televised games he played for United and I can say with some confidence he is one of the worst free kick takers in the World. For someone who takes so many "Ronaldo rocket" free kicks he has very few goals. 90 % go into the wall or into row Z. He is a great striker of the ball and when he hits it sweet the shots are amazing. To have him mentioned along side Juninho is ridiculous. Juninho nearly scored all his goals from free kicks and he was nearly guaranteed a goal every 2 games. Ronaldo would be up there with Roberto Carlos i.e. score a few good ones but the vast majority of the time is a waste of an attack.

I can say with complete and utter confidence, that you do not watch Ronaldo week in week out, and you didn't See more than half his games for united.

If you did, then you need glasses.

I disagree. I think he's more consistent than you are making out to be. He hits the target fairly often. I can think of a few peaches he's had this season alone. I'd like to know how many Ronaldo scores each year I'd imagine it's probably 5+

I don't know about Juninho, I can only go off the handful of times of seen him for Lyon in the CL and a few highlight reels. He's a great free kick taker alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Doubt it... Cristiano is a hell of a player but he is just not Barsas style.

Hi is an individualist not a team player

No a single shot on goal means nothing?

I can say with complete and utter confidence, that you do not watch Ronaldo week in week out, and you didn't See more than half his games for united.

If you did, then you need glasses.

The stats are out there I'm sure. In the champions league alone how many free kicks has he scored? 1 or 2? How many free kicks did he take, 20ish? He forced a save from Valdes with one the rest went into the first man in the 2 Barca games. All the free kicks he does manage to score are against lower teams, I may add. Don't recall him scoring against Chelsea, Liverpool, Barcelona, Milan etc.

Lionel Messi
    The stats are out there I'm sure. In the champions league alone how many free kicks has he scored? 1 or 2? How many free kicks did he take, 20ish? He forced a save from Valdes with one the rest went into the first man in the 2 Barca games. All the free kicks he does manage to score are against lower teams, I may add. Don't recall him scoring against Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Barcelona, Milan etc.
    I think you are confused as to what regular FK conversion rates are...

also you much not watch much football if you don't remember him scoring one against Arsenal...

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    I think you are confused as to what regular FK conversion rates are...

also you much not watch much football if you don't remember him scoring one against Arsenal...

I just edited my post before I saw yours, I only remembered it after I posted. Keeper was shocking for it. Surprising as the rest of the Arsenal players had no problem lying down for the match. I don't assume people always score free kicks everytime they they take them. If I took as many free kicks as Ronaldo I would have more on target than him was my point. Beckham would be the example of someone with a high conversion rate and I would fear if he got one. I have no fear when I see Ron step up, well no more fear than anyone else stepping up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Moments like this from the first leg are vicious - I dont even recall that being shown on ITV. First I saw of it was on Spanish tv. Anyway for me it aint even a close race. One is really good whereas the other is great. One is spoken about by countless people from the world of football as potentially the greatest ever to play the game, the other is not. One plays with the team, runs back every game and helps defense. One can take a ball and run past half a team and score a goal for fun. One turns up virtually every game. One can setup half as many as he scores which is ridiculous. One has humility and does not throw a hissy fit every match. One has a vicious, cynical streak in him. One gets knocked down but gets back up again. One does things that makes your draw drop in admiration nearly every match. One has vision and a splendid football brain. The other relies on brute strength and his pace. One is so good that teams specifically target him in packs and kick the crap out of him. Does he complain? Does he roll around like a nancy? No, he gets right back up and scores a goal. These two are worlds a part.

messi0007-rm-uclcmbz.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

This whole Messi vs Ronaldo thing just reminds me of silly, petty arguments that you'd have in primary school (maybe some of you guys are still there, I don't know). Both are just brilliant players. Both offer different things to their side. We're just lucky that we're able to watch them both every week cause havoc to defenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Lionel Messi
    Let's continue the thread here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

How fúcking obsessed are you? Jesus Christ man.

Lionel Messi
    gimmick wrote: »
    How fúcking obsessed are you? Jesus Christ man.

How fúcking obsessed are you? I'm just analysing C.Ronaldo's game while bullshi**ers bring up bull**it facts.

C.Ronaldo shi*'s on Messi in every way possible, that all I know.

Lionel Messi
    Oh ya, and Barca fans can **ck off with that Catalan "Mes Que Un Club" tripe, they are inferior to the Madrid team and that is that. You got caught by Spain, ye are f***ed, the strongest came out on top and accept that. If ye want to promote that Catatan stuff ***k on off out of the SPANISH league.

General-Franco-001.jpg

He didn't do nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

CorkMan wrote: »
    How fúcking obsessed are you? I'm just analysing C.Ronaldo's game while bullshi**ers bring up bull**it facts.

The cheek of some people eh, pointing out the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Oh ya, and Barca fans can **ck off with that Catalan "Mes Que Un Club" tripe, they are inferior to the Madrid team and that is that. You got caught by Spain, ye are f***ed, the strongest came out on top and accept. If ye want to promote that Catatan stuff ***k on off out of the SPANISH league.

General-Franco-001.jpg

He didn't do nothing.

Seriously, get a grip man.

• Advertisement

Lionel Messi
    redout wrote: »
    Seriously, get a grip man.

:confused:

Lionel Messi
    lolzers.

Lionel Messi
    I hurt my penile muscles, I can't stand up nor sit down, I have to be inbetween.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Corkman is winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

tumblr_lf6r0v46oM1qbvihuo1_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

It's like SOS and CHD all rolled into one. :p:p:p:p

• Advertisement

Lionel Messi
    think someone got control of his account, if not that's pretty embarassing...

just to clarify above...

i can see why someone would argue Ronaldo might be better in some ways. that's obviously very arguable, due to his athleticism more than anything, but 'in every way possible' made me lol hard.

so thank you CorkMan, my day had been largely laughless before that.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Definitely been "braped"... Despite him being blatantly RM & Ronaldo obsessed he is still sensible enough.

Lionel Messi
    SlickRic wrote: »
    tumblr_lf6r0v46oM1qbvihuo1_500.gif

WHAT DID HE SAY?!?! WHAT DID HE SAY?!?!

*bangs table with wang impatiently*

Lionel Messi
    I bet he said "redout did this to me".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I'll admit it lads, I hacked his account. It was obvious his password was

cronaldo>messi.

WHAT DID HE SAY?!?! WHAT DID HE SAY?!?!

*bangs table with wang impatiently*
    I bet he said "redout did this to me".

i have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

hidinghomer.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

??
    you do realise this very poll is 70-30 in favour of Messi :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Orly? Kthxsbai!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

just his natural corkness shining through :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

viva Ronaldo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Lione-Messi_0.jpg

oh and Ronaldo is not even second best. Either Xavi or Inesta IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Is that official?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Just about.