Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Messi v Ronaldo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

dfx- wrote: »
    Only one has the Pichichi though...

:pac:

Meh, Messi just got his 3rd one of these and showed the World his class once again.
    1306619582_extras_albumes_0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Only one has the Pichichi though...

:pac:
    regardless....

I think this should be put to bed.

Messi
    0WBti.png

Ronaldo
    rY94G.png

these stats say a lot. well, to me at least.

click images for source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

regardless....

I think this should be put to bed.

Messi
    0WBti.png

Ronaldo
    rY94G.png

click images for source

I saw them same figures from a couple of different Spanish sites also - absolutely frightening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Is that meant to knock Ronaldo's achievement or something? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

I'll repeat. It's like comparing apples....with some fruit no-one's ever heard of.

And It's not just Messi that's better than Ronaldo, its also Xavi and Iniesta.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

No, not trying to detract from Ronaldo's 'personal achievement' or anything...
    (i suppose an argument could be made for the assists stat that he was unselfish and set up a lot of chances on goal that weren't converted by his lacklustre teammates.but having watched a fair bit of la liga, i'd say it wasn't the case.. seriously tho, 250 shots on goal?!!?!)
    .....but to me the stats show who the better player was this season.

Far more valuable to his team too.

Lionel Messi is the best in the world no contest. how did this thread even gain any momentum? Ronaldo is a great player but not even on the same planet as Lionel

It is a lame thread. Two great attacking players, both scoring lots every week, both entertaining the public every week, both with different attributes (really, check it out!), playing for the top two teams out there at the moment...

Seriously, there's not much between them if you're looking at that type of player. Ronaldo is just unlucky that he's playing at the same time as Messi. But yeah, it's just great that the two of them are on our tv's every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Messi is the better footballer but I think when they're both on top form, Ronaldo is more exciting to watch. The pace at which he counters is frightening.

Ronaldo is more important to Real than Messi is to Barcelona I think. Real depend on Ronaldo a lot, Barca would obviously miss someone as talented as Messi but with the way they play, they'd cope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Lionel Messi
    Messi is the better footballer but I think when they're both on top form, Ronaldo is more exciting to watch. The pace at which he counters is frightening.

Ronaldo is more important to Real than Messi is to Barcelona I think. Real depend on Ronaldo a lot, Barca would obviously miss someone as talented as Messi but with the way they play, they'd cope
    The way they play Villa, Pedro or whoever would just take up the goalscoring mantle and score 20-30 league goals and whoever was up there as a replacement whether it Bojan or Afellay would chip in with a few. Without Ronaldo Real would be very one dimensional and just go through Higuain every time and score much less. A lot of time Ronaldo creates something out of nothing and not that Messi can't do that but it takes a lot of build up for most Barca goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Messi by a mile and the top three in the world right now play together.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Ronaldo's self fascination disqualifies him,IMHO,from true greatness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

messi was good last night, but i think its unfair he is being singled out, he was not the best player on the pitch. it was a real team effort from barcelona, but for me Iniesta did a world of damage to united, with Xavi not far behind...

pique MOM for me, he was also superb. the messi love is overreaction today, ive seen him play alot better, his goal was a goal keeping error, it should have been kept out, it was pretty much straight down the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

LOL Messi's runs resulted in all 3 goals and the panic in the united defence caused mistakes for 2 of the goals while the 2nd was poor goalkeeping.Take him out of the team and United would have been outplayed but would have most likely took the game to extra time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Messi Messi Messi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Lionel Messi
    I'm going to wait till they finish their careers and hope that boards is still around and we can find this thread.

So after last night that means they both finish on 52 goals for the season?

Thats actually the most incredible thing I've ever seen in football.
    And its a true neck and neck tussle over greatness.

Too many times we have seen players pitted against each other in the headlines and then its just dissapointment.

This is genuinely fascinating to watch week in week out. I'll be watching alot more la liga next season just to see these two in action

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

pique MOM for me, he was also superb. the messi love is overreaction today, ive seen him play alot better, his goal was a goal keeping error, it should have been kept out, it was pretty much straight down the middle.

I would have had Messi 4th or 5th candidate for MOTM personally last night. Busquets, Iniesta, Xavi, Pique. Busquets was immense and I don't get to say that often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm going to wait till they finish their careers and hope that boards is still around and we can find this thread.

So after last night that means they both finish on 52 goals for the season?

Thats actually the most incredible thing I've ever seen in football.
    And its a true neck and neck tussle over greatness.

Too many times we have seen players pitted against each other in the headlines and then its just dissapointment.

This is genuinely fascinating to watch week in week out. I'll be watching alot more la liga next season just to see these two in action

Dunno about Ronaldo but Messi finished with 53. Whatever Ronny got, both players were staggeringly brilliant this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I would have had Messi 4th or 5th candidate for MOTM personally last night. Busquets, Iniesta, Xavi, Pique. Busquets was immense and I don't get to say that often.

I couldn't possibly disagree with that any more. Messi was the clear man of the match in my view.

Anyway, my opinions on this thread haven't changed since the beginning. Messi is by far the better player. Ronaldo is a goal machine. Messi is a footballing God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Anyway, my opinions on this thread haven't changed since the beginning. Messi is by far the better player. Ronaldo is a goal machine. Messi is a footballing God.

Yes
    Ronaldo scores a lot of goals, cant deny that. But he doesnt really create much for his team mates , he will shoot in any and every position
    Messi also scores a lot but he will set up team mates also, he is not greedy like Ron.
    And of course Messi skill on the ball is so superior to anyone else.....

• Advertisement

So what you're saying is that they're not the same type of player? No way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Messi is miles better than Ronaldo. Just look at Ronaldo's performance in the last World Cup. There was a game where if he had passed the ball Portugal would have won but he went for glory and they lost. Also the stupid flicks he does are just annoying. Put Ronaldo in an average team and he would be average. Messi on the other hand just gets the job done.

Ronaldo scored so many goals for United because Rooney and others supplied him with the ball.

Ok ok he can play ball but I hate the guy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

professore wrote: »
    Put Ronaldo in an average team and he would be average.

Oh come on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I can't believe this is still up for debate. Messi by a mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Messi just about, and its a lot closer then people think. I feel Messi wins but the differences between them are so hard to judge and call that its crazy to think that we have two players at the peak of their powers and will go on to be considered some of the finest ever and we can watch both of them freely.

If I had a blank cheue book I'd be buying Messi, hes just magical and i hate that hes so good. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Ronaldo is good against teams in the bottom 6. Messi can destroy the best teams in the world. Ronaldo goes missing in big games. I can't believe anybody said Ronaldo,probably united fans.

Jesus, so many deluded people in this thread. He does turn up for 'big game' - whatever the hell that means. Is scoring in a final in AET against Barcelona considered a big game? Or scoring vs them in the home game to make it 1-1? Is scoring a hat-trick when 2-1 down at home a big game? Scoring the two goals vs Valencia in a 2-0 win considered a big game? Or two late ones against Hercules away to win 1-3?

This 'big game' thing always makes me laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Renn wrote: »
    Jesus, so many deluded people in this thread. He does turn up for 'big game' - whatever the hell that means. Is scoring in a final in AET against Barcelona considered a big game? Or scoring vs them in the home game to make it 1-1? Is scoring a hat-trick when 2-1 down at home a big game? Scoring the two goals vs Valencia in a 2-0 win considered a big game? Or two late ones against Hercules away to win 1-3?

Of course he does. As consistently as Messi though? I don't think you can argue that!

Em I dunno...like I said, I don't think there's a whole lot between them - actually there isn't a whole lot between them. BOTH ARE FUPPING BRILLIANT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

There most definitely is a whole lot between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Messi is streets ahead of Ronaldo. There's no contest. I can't believe so many people actually voted for Ronaldo

I haven't voted for anyone because it's just too silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Lionel Messi
    Paparazzo wrote: »
    Messi is streets ahead of Ronaldo. There's no contest. I can't believe so many people actually voted for Ronaldo
    I don't see how anyone can say Messi is streets ahead of Ronaldo when they score around the same and are about as important as each other to the 2 best teams in the world right now. Ronaldo outscored Messi reasonably substantially against the same opposition in the league this season. Messi is a better dribbler and passer, Ronaldo is more powerful, better in the air and I'd say they're about the same at finishing. I'd say if you put them both into a random team Ronaldo would adapt better but Messi is better to watch and more entertaining and consistent. Ronaldo seems to be underrated if anything this season and won the European golden boot with ease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Also worth nothing Ronaldo's biggest purple patch in the league came when Madrid have nothing left to play for, they may have scored the same amount of goals, but I know who's 53 were more important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Liam O wrote: »
    I don't see how anyone can say Messi is streets ahead of Ronaldo when they score around the same and are about as important as each other to the 2 best teams in the world right now. Ronaldo outscored Messi reasonably substantially against the same opposition in the league this season. Messi is a better dribbler and passer, Ronaldo is more powerful, better in the air and I'd say they're about the same at finishing. I'd say if you put them both into a random team Ronaldo would adapt better but Messi is better to watch and more entertaining and consistent. Ronaldo seems to be underrated if anything this season and won the European golden boot with ease.

If messi had 15 less goals this season I'd still say he's better. There's more to his game than scoring goals. Ronaldo seems to think the game revolves around him. He shoots from 40m out rather than pass.

So like I was saying earlier, you're saying that they're different types of player? Shock horror!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Renn wrote: »

It is quite funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Warper wrote: »
    It is quite funny

Aye, fabulous hat-trick against Atletico Madrid at the Vicente Calderon last week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Blatter wrote: »
    Aye, fabulous hat-trick against Atletico Madrid at the Vicente Calderon last week.

That doesnt count though, it was only a derby away from home :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Nice one for bringing this up again, we haven't had enough Barcelona and Real discussion around here recently...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭CongoPowers

Why today? Because CR didn't have a good game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Why today? Because CR didn't have a good game?
    No because Group B was being filled with Messi vs Ronaldo rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I'd have fancied Messi to at least test the keeper with that 2nd chance Ronaldo missed today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Ronaldo is worse for Portugal than Messi is for Argentina. He's a choker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Iniesta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Warper wrote: »
    Ronaldo is worse for Portugal than Messi is for Argentina. He's a choker

Portugal won btw. Drop your obsession with Ferguson and Ronaldo, it's sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    I'd have fancied Messi to at least test the keeper with that 2nd chance Ronaldo missed today.

Theres a very simple barometer to compare the two of them . . Lets not look at Ronaldos PERFORMANCES in big games because that seems to upset his fanboys that think because he might get a goal in a game it means he plays well in big games . .

Since they both score a dirt load of goals, Lets scratch them off against each other and take the goals out of the equation . . Who contributes more to their team if they dont score a goal ? Its irrefutably obvious that Messi consistantly offers more to his teams internationally and at club level.

Its funny, because its not like Im not saying Ronaldo isnt ridiculously talented. If it wasnt for messi he would be unquestionably the best player in the world (and there would be nobody to point out his limited performance levels in certain games) . . Ronaldo is a superbly talented player, hes just not as good as Messi . .

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Ronaldo post-match...

"Messi was being eliminated from Copa América in his own country at this time last year. That's worse, no? I'm happy to be here."

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement