Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Messi v Ronaldo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

-Ade- wrote: »
    Ronaldo post-match...

"Messi was being eliminated from Copa América in his own country at this time last year. That's worse, no? I'm happy to be here."

Was he asked about Messi in his interview???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Ronaldo post-match...

"Messi was being eliminated from Copa América in his own country at this time last year. That's worse, no? I'm happy to be here."

The best thing about Messi is that it kills Ronaldo that there's a more talented player out there. Ronaldo wants to be the best in the world, but even with all his arrogance he knows well that Messi is better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Ronaldo post-match...

What was the question he was asked?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

Paparazzo wrote: »
    The best thing about Messi is that it kills Ronaldo that there's a more talented player out there. Ronaldo wants to be the best in the world, but even with all his arrogance he knows well that Messi is better.

It's not.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

L'prof wrote: »
    Was he asked about Messi in his interview???
    tdv123 wrote: »

Dunno. I'm sure a quick a Google and you'll find it.

Either way, whatever the question maybe. He could have answered it with a bit more tact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Dunno. I'm sure a quick a Google and you'll find it.

Either way, whatever the question maybe. He could have answered it with a bit more tact.

Really?

tumblr_lydkcrerpE1r2uh6go1_400.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

tdv123 wrote: »

No mention of a question here, but slightly different phrasing of what he said.
    http://www.supersport.com/football/uefa-euro-2012/news/120613/Ronaldo_hits_back_at_Messi_comparison
    Ronaldo hits back at Messi comparison
    13 June 2012, 22:59

Portugal superstar and captain Cristiano Ronaldo hit back at his critics on Wednesday after some fans chanted "Messi, Messi" in allusion to his being outscored in La Liga by Barcelona star Lionel Messi.

Ronaldo was profligate in the 3-2 win over Denmark in Lviv which kept his side's Euro 2012 dreams alive and the chants - from the Danish supporters - soon came.

But he had a pithy riposte.

"Do you know what he (Messi) was doing this time last year? He was going out of the Copa America in the quarterfinals."

Both men, candidates for the 2012 Ballon d'Or accolade, have regularly been criticised for generally not showing their stellar club form at international level.

"Everyone has the right to miss chances, myself included," said Ronaldo - who has scored just five goals in 15 matches in major competitions for Portugal and who has yet to break his duck here.

"I would have liked to score, you know me, but I gave my all. The goals will come. The team won, that is what matters."

L'prof wrote: »
    Really?

tumblr_lydkcrerpE1r2uh6go1_400.gif

One of the most enjoyable sights in sport is Ronaldo throwing a hissy fit!

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2762223/ronaldo_hissy_fit/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

No mention of a question here, but slightly different phrasing of what he said.
    http://www.supersport.com/football/uefa-euro-2012/news/120613/Ronaldo_hits_back_at_Messi_comparison

stay_classy1.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

RasTa wrote: »
    Portugal won btw. Drop your obsession with Ferguson and Ronaldo, it's sad.

Ah this is a Messi v Ronaldo thread. Go on admit it, Messi is better than Ronaldo, just say it you will stop lying to yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

lolronaldo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Iniesta.

Excellent point.

I'd watch a thousand Bohs games to see Iniesta play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Warper wrote: »
    Ah this is a Messi v Ronaldo thread. Go on admit it, Messi is better than Ronaldo, just say it you will stop lying to yourself.

Any fool knows that Messi is better then Ronaldo but I'm not stupid enough to consider Ronaldo a choker and drag up this thread to have a dig at every little incident between either of them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Denmark fans chanted Messi's name whenever Ronaldo got the ball so I presume that's why Ronaldo or the journalists brought it up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BIG BAD JOHN

If Messi is Barcelona, then Ronaldo is Accrington Stanley (with apologies to the denizens of that proud Lancashire town).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Lionel Messi
    If Messi is Barcelona, then Ronaldo is Accrington Stanley (with apologies to the denizens of that proud Lancashire town).

I nominate this post for stupidest of the month

kryogen wrote: »
    I nominate this post for stupidest of the month

Why?
    (And thank you for noticing!) ;)

Lionel Messi
    Why?
    (And thank you for noticing!) ;)

You hardly need it pointing out, but to say that the recognised second best player in the world is so far beneath the recognised best player in the world is ridiculously retarded.

The comparison is nonsensical. At best.

You hardly need it pointing out, but to say that the recognised second best player in the world is so far beneath the recognised best player in the world is ridiculously retarded.

The comparison is nonsensical. At best.

Have you never heard of hyperbole??
    Or don't you have a sense of humour?
    Incidentally, he (Ronaldo) didn't look like the second-best player in the world yesterday.
    Of course, he is a great player but he's not nearly as good as Messi - in my opinion. He mightn't even be as good as Iniesta or Fabregas - again, my opinion.

• Advertisement

Lionel Messi
    Messi didnt look the best player in the world in a few games during the season.

What difference does it make? He is still the best, Ronaldo is the second best, and it is not as far apart as you might like to think, it is extremely hard to compare them as they are very different players.

At times last season Messi has looked no better then Aiden McGeady, that the kind of hyperbole you like?

At times last season Messi has looked no better then Aiden McGeady, that the kind of hyperbole you like?

So you do have a sense of humour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

RasTa wrote: »
    Any fool knows that Messi is better then Ronaldo but I'm not stupid enough to consider Ronaldo a choker and drag up this thread to have a dig at every little incident between either of them

Loser..................

Finally you admit that Messi is better, its more like only fools think Ronaldo is a better player than Messi and thats a fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

In case anyone missed it, he scored a hat-trick against Brazil the other day in a 4-3 win...
    3rd goal was amazing !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

"Ronaldo - Tested to the limit" on ESPN classics now.

He is being scientifically examined!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

"Ronaldo - Tested to the limit" on ESPN classics now.

He is being scientifically examined!!

That was on Sky Sports a good while ago, it's more of an ego boost for Ronaldo but entertaining non the less!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

NUTZZ wrote: »
    That was on Sky Sports a good while ago, it's more of an ego boost for Ronaldo but entertaining non the less!

can be seen on you tube aswell i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Although I allow everyone their opinion, to suggest that Ronaldo is even on a par with Messi is folly. The latter is possibly the best all round attacking footballer since Maradona, I would say better than Zidane. Zizou had an elegance that gave him extra poise, like Roger Federer or Kevin Pieterson, but Messi is SO effective. He's Sachin Tendulkar.

169 goals in 214 games for Barca, 26 in 70 for Argentina, top scorer in a single CL season, scored 5 in a single game.
    In the last season, he had 73 goals and 29 assists.
    5 La Ligas and 3 CLs (I realise he has a lot of help there).

And he's 24. HE'S 24!!

He could be the greatest ever, with possibly 10 more year in him. He really could...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Dickerty wrote: »
    Although I allow everyone their opinion, to suggest that Ronaldo is even on a par with Messi is folly. The latter is possibly the best all round attacking footballer since Maradona, I would say better than Zidane. Zizou had an elegance that gave him extra poise, like Roger Federer or Kevin Pieterson, but Messi is SO effective. He's Sachin Tendulkar.

169 goals in 214 games for Barca, 26 in 70 for Argentina, top scorer in a single CL season, scored 5 in a single game.
    In the last season, he had 73 goals and 29 assists.
    5 La Ligas and 3 CLs (I realise he has a lot of help there).

And he's 24. HE'S 24!!

He could be the greatest ever, with possibly 10 more year in him. He really could...

People just need to unjderstand they are BOTH insanely good players in their own right. Ronaldo has 112 goals in 101 games for Madrid!

naughtb4 wrote: »
    People just need to unjderstand they are BOTH insanely good players in their own right. Ronaldo has 112 goals in 101 games for Madrid!

They're both insanely good, but Messi is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

I'm not a fanboy of either but ronnies giving out in the manner he did last night was stupid giving the fact he's the captain for Portugal. Go over and have a word that the service is poor and encourage him but don't go jumping and flailing your arms like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Lionel Messi
    I'm not a fanboy of either but ronnies giving out in the manner he did last night was stupid giving the fact he's the captain for Portugal. Go over and have a word that the service is poor and encourage him but don't go jumping and flailing your arms like that.

Could you imagine how he'd react if he was playing for Ireland? He has a desire to win like no other, which makes him intolerant of imperfection.

He needs better control of his temperament. Yes it's frustrating when someone ruins a good opportunity by not executing the basics well, but in a battle for hearts and minds, being a shy recluse gets you further than being expressive and passionate. Neither Messi nor Ronaldo is perfect, but Messi gets a lot more leeway, because people love to hate Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

They're both insanely good, but Messi is better.

Why do we always feel the need to compare and just be privledged to see both :D

Agree with post above about his will to win, its that that has made him so good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the fact this thread comes up every time Ronaldo does something speaks volumes.

people seem to have a need to point out all the time that Messi is better. even Eamonn Dunphy last night had to qualify all his superlatives about Ronaldo before the game, with the point that he's not as good as Messi.

Sky News reported on the match and described him as, in these exact words..."the second best footballer on the planet".

it drives me insane.

he's a brilliant, stunning goalscorer and player.

he doesn't need to always be judged in terms of Messi. ultimately, in the great pantheon of players, he will have to be. but for me there is far too much obsession with taking him down a notch from some pro-Messi people, and far too much desperation from some of the pro-Ronaldo people to constantly validate him in some way.

just enjoy Ronaldo for what he is; a phenomenal player, who may well be on his way to dominating this tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

SlickRic wrote: »

people seem to have a need to point out all the time that Messi is better. even Eamonn Dunphy last night had to qualify all his superlatives about Ronaldo before the game, with the point that he's not as good as Messi.

Sky News reported on the match and described him as, in these exact words..."the second best footballer on the planet".

it drives me insane.

he does need to always be judged in terms of Messi. ultimately, in the great pantheon of players, he will have to be. but for me there is far too much obsession with taking him down a notch from some pro-Messi people, and far too much desperation from some of the pro-Ronaldo people to constantly validate him in some way.

just enjoy Ronaldo for what he is; a phenomenal player, who may well be on his way to dominating this tournament.

Why does it bother you that they'd call him the second best player on the planet? Seems high praise to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

it drives me insane.

he does need to always be judged in terms of Messi. ultimately, in the great pantheon of players, he will have to be. but for me there is far too much obsession with taking him down a notch from some pro-Messi people, and far too much desperation from some of the pro-Ronaldo people to constantly validate him in some way.

I don't think there has ever been two footballers of such standing in the game existing in such proximity to one another. Cryuff and Maradona; Pele and Best thier careers all intersected at one point or another but never in direct comparable ways like Messi and Ronaldo.

Go to a classico and you have a chance of seeing possibly two of the greatest exponents of the game, possibly ever grace the field at the same time. Remarkable and rare in any and all fields of sporting endeavour.

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Why does it bother you that they'd call him the second best player on the planet? Seems high praise to me.

high praise indeed. i'm not disputing that.

it just seems to be a continuation of the obsession to have him constantly compared to Messi, whose not even in the tournament.

and i wouldn't say it bothers me - "drives me insane" is an exaggeration.

it just all seems ridiculous to me.

Lionel Messi
    Bodhisopha wrote: »

Did you read the rest of his post??

The answer is there.

Did you read the rest of his post??

The answer is there.

Okay, hold on.

high praise indeed. i'm not disputing that.

it just seems to be a continuation of the obsession to have him constantly compared to Messi, whose not even in the tournament.

and i wouldn't say it bothers me - "drives me insane" is an exaggeration.

it just all seems ridiculous to me.

I take your point that it gets tiresome that Messi is dragged up in ever single Ronaldo conversation, no doubt, but i don't think the intention is to bring him down a notch as you say when they refer to him as the second best player in the world. I interpret it as them giving him props for being the stand alone, undisputed beyond a shadow of a doubt, second best player in the world.

I do agree with most of what you say, though.

Its hard to "enjoy" ronaldo, because included in the package you get the petulance, 5 year old girl strops, glory hunting shots (they're rarer these days in fairness), diving, blaming other players and arrogance as well as the player.
    With Messi you don't get all that. Ok, he dives, but not as much and as blatant as ronaldo.

• Advertisement

Its hard to "enjoy" ronaldo, because included in the package you get the petulance, 5 year old girl strops, glory hunting shots (they're rarer these days in fairness), diving, blaming other players and arrogance as well as the player.
    With Messi you don't get all that. Ok, he dives, but not as much and as blatant as ronaldo.

but he's still brilliant.

and my only argument was that he does not need to be compared to Messi at every given opportunity.

sometimes i think that his legacy will simply be, and epitaph on his headstone will read, "great, but not as good as Messi".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

no love lost between the 2 of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

Ronaldo equalled the reord tonight for scoring in consecutive Classicos.

Doesn't perform in the big games at all like.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

And as CongoPowers put it in the Barca thread, Messi is joint second top scorer now with Raul in Clasicos and just three behind di Stefano..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Imagine how good Ronaldo would be if he took a HGH through his teens :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

@MD1990
    Maybe they already shook hands. This is going to be blown out of proportion

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I don't normally post in this stupid thread, but this really bugs me, it's not like HGH has made him into some sort of super-sized monster, there was a reason Barca took him to Spain and paid his medical bills.
    He was already the naturally talented wonderplayer we see before us, this just allowed him to basically lead a standard life, and to compete on a close to level playing field.

I suspect he'd be worse than he is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭woof im a dog

he still wouldn't be as good as messi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Ronaldo equalled the reord tonight for scoring in consecutive Classicos.

Doesn't perform in the big games at all like.

Ya, the super copa is a huge game alright.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement