Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is greater threat to the world peace: Iran, Iraq, United States or North Korea?

• 24-10-2010 1:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭

Who is greater threat to World Peace 193 votes

Iraq
    0% 0 votes
    Iran
    2% 4 votes
    United States
    33% 65 votes
    North Korea
    64% 124 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Iran, with it's current mentally challenged leader maddinnerjacket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I think Iran is. Also, why did you post this twice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I know its "hip and cool" to hate the US nowadays, but theres no comparison with the other 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

No country is, they are just masses of land with imaginary lines. But definitely Syria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I think Iran is. also, why did you post this twice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

Israel has the potential to stir so much ****. The fúckers could cause all hell to break loose someday. Not that they care too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

poisonated wrote: »
    I think Iran is. also, why did you post this twice?

Why did you post that post twice.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

The question should be 'what', not 'who', and the answer disparity in wealth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭GarethWA

Double-threads? Not cool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

The Americans will stick their nose into one too many hornets nest some day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

policarp wrote: »
    The Americans will stick their nose into one too many hornets nest some day.

I think they've managed to do that already, many times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

N Korea.

Team America told me this to be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

The other thread was meant to have a poll, so this is that threat with a poll!

I don't think Iran would wage war on a superior army in Israel and America , two nations that also happen to have nuclear arms..The western media might portray "Iran" as "mad" but they probablly would not be that "mad"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭PanchoVilla

This is a bit of a stupid topic to be honest. Threat to world peace? I didn't know we had world peace to begin with. The greatest instigators of war/threat to international security are the U.S., Britain, Russia, China, Israel, and the EU.

How many foreign countries have North Korea, Iraq, or Iran invaded? North Korea invaded South Korea, but since they were both the same country before WW2 it doesn't really count. Iraq invaded Kuwait, but again since they were the same country before the British/Europeans partitioned the region it doesn't count.

Now how many foreign countries have the others invaded? It's not that difficult to understand, now is it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Iran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭WildBoots

Since when was there world peace?

This is a bit of a stupid topic to be honest. Threat to world peace? I didn't know we had world peace to begin with. The greatest instigators of war/threat to international security are the U.S., Britain, Russia, China, Israel, and the EU.

How many foreign countries have North Korea, Iraq, or Iran invaded? North Korea invaded South Korea, but since they were both the same country before WW2 it doesn't really count. Iraq invaded Kuwait, but again since they were the same country before the British/Europeans partitioned the region it doesn't count.

Now how many foreign countries have the others invaded? It's not that difficult to understand, now is it?

Being the last post on the page sucks. Also, I'd like to ask people's reasoning behind choosing Iran. What have they done to deserve this honor? They allegedly threaten to wipe Israel off the map? Meanwhile Israel is actually wiping Gaza and the West Bank off the map, or at least doing their best, as I type this.

The U.S. is currently dumping hundreds of tons of depleted uranium in Iraq and Afghanistan, the equivalent of exploding several "dirty bombs" in civilian areas. The Russians..well, the Russians are murdering thousands of people in the border regions. China has an atrocious human rights record in their own country (and Tibet) and supports the regime in Burma. The EU supports military dictatorships in Africa and Southeast Asia for resources.

You are right in my opinion. "Iraq""Iran""North Korea" were the "Axis of evil" according to "the United States of America"

I don't think they are or ever were a threat to "America" or "freedom" or "Democracy" in any shape or form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

Ze Germans of course, has history thought you nothing :rolleyes:

sxt wrote: »
    You are right in my opinion. "Iraq""Iran""North Korea" were the "Axsis of evil" according to "the United States of America"

I don't think they are or ever were a threat to "America" or "freedom" or "Democracy" in any shape or form.

Ah, ok. I understand now. Well, it was George W. Bush who labelled these countries as the "Axis of Evil" but he also believe he's gonna be lifted out of his clothes when the apocalypse comes. Born again Christians are lunatics and I avoid listening to anything they have to say to be honest. :D

I was in the U.S. for the 9/11 thing but came back to Ireland after Congress passed the Patriot Act. The U.S. has ironically become the least democratic country in western society. Watch this video to learn about what democracy in the U.S. has become. The first 40 seconds is all you really need to watch but the whole thing is very interesting.

• Advertisement

Saila wrote: »
    Ze Germans of course, has history thought you nothing :rolleyes:

Which countries do you believe are a threat to "Freedom" and "Democracy" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

@the youtube video above:
    this is why electronic voting is not good AND a huge waste of money, and why it would fit in well with the irish political way, cant see why they ever scrapped it tbh :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ValJester

Surely Iraq represents no real threat considering it's now a US colony in all but name.Israel is the real threat.

And by "world peace", I assume you mean the security of rich white people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

Conor108 wrote: »
    I know its "hip and cool" to hate the US nowadays, but theres no comparison with the other 3.

You're a little behind the curve. Now that Obama's in charge, liking America is hip and cool again.

You don't have to hate the US to realize that the combination of their malicious and inept foreign policies have damaged themselves and destabilized many countries around the world.

The other three are no comparison in terms of their effect on the world. Their actions are largely inconsequential, despite their bluster and despite the media's best efforts to convince you otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Depends on what perspective you're looking from and how you interpret 'world-peace'.

Edit: i know that goes without saying and is a pointless post; but it really does and is a very complicated question.
    I should just remove this post; but i won't, because i'm drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The Vatican.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭celtic Liger

agree on the stupid topic bit but how anyone can vote anything other then the united states is beyond me.

but sure, tis dinernet and all, any monkey that can click, can vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

but sure, tis dinernet and all, any monkey that can click, can vote.

You certainly proved that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36 SuomiJohn

Russia.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Jaysus, two posts and it hasn't been said yet? For shame AH, for shame!

OP, in answer to your question. None of the above. The answer is obviously...

YORE MA!

Where's the China button?

I don't trust them rich expansionist commie bastards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

The Americans are so quickly curtailing their own freedoms of expression and ownership of public places that they are the biggest threat to the ideal of democracy.

Already they lag behind other countries with their electoral colleges and lack of proportional representation in elections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Iran, followed by N. Korea. In a few years time, perhaps China if they start running out of food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Ah, its gotta be the US. Not for any obvious anti-American feeling, but just stating the obvious. I would think the US, Israel, Russia and China are the real threats.

North Korea? Bit mad some people have voted for them. Have they occupied any countries recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

The US tbh. The other countries keep to themselves or are only concerned with gaining back territory they'd lost. The US on the other hand seems to consider themselves world police and have done little but prolong or instigate war.

Think about how many people were killed on 9/11 (civilians) compared to the 60,000+ (civilian) deaths in Iraq since that day. Also keep in mind that the attacks on the States or other parts of the West were centralized and not prolonged and, outside of the tragic loss of many lives, were relatively quickly recovered from. Compare that to what the US is doing in the Middle East.

The US is a big country with a massive military, comparing it to the likes of Iran or Iraq or North Korea is a bit stupid, they just can't compare. They may be horrible to their own people and the countries in their immediate surroundings, but they are not world threats.

And if they do turn into "world" threats.. the anger seems to be directed mostly at the States.

You'd be better off comparing it to China, but in fairness, China seems to be keeping to itself on the war front at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

liah wrote: »
    The US tbh. The other countries keep to themselves or are only concerned with gaining back territory they'd lost. The US on the other hand seems to consider themselves world police and have done little but prolong or instigate war.
    And what if, in simply attempting to gain back the territories they've lost in the past, they spark off a wider conflict in the region?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Austria!

WW1- started WW1 in retribution to the death of Grand Duke Ferdinand
    WW2- Hitler

gizmo wrote: »
    And what if, in simply attempting to gain back the territories they've lost in the past, they spark off a wider conflict in the region?

It's still not a world threat until countries like the US try to stick their nose where it doesn't belong and escalate things as they've done in the last few years.

Also, keep in mind who arms these countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Serious Answer: The United States by miles. Iraq is effectively part of the US, what would Iran gain from attacking Israel apart from a nucelar response and North Korea knows any attack on the South would lead to a resumption of a full scale war on the Korean penninsula.

Real Answer: Atari Jaguar is the greatest threat to world peace at the current moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Not Iran. Sure, their leader is a complete lunatic. And their bravado isn't exactly helping things in terms of the Middle East. But they're not the biggest threat to world peace.

The biggest threat to world peace is US Foreign Policy. I'm sure they think they're doing the right thing. But what they're really doing is creating incredible animosity towards the west in the Middle East and that, more than anything else, is the real threat to world peace.

• Advertisement

Think about how many people were killed on 9/11 (civilians) compared to the 60,000+ (civilian) deaths in Iraq since that day.

You could add another zero at the end of the Iraqi civilian deaths estimate ,which is even more harrowing

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2006/oct/11/iraq.iraq

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/10/AR2006101001442.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sharkey 10

Usually if world peace is broken it is broken by the US

It's still not a world threat until countries like the US try to stick their nose where it doesn't belong and escalate things as they've done in the last few years.
    And if Iran attacked Israel tomorrow, would you prefer the US to do nothing?

If they do get involved, how do you think Russia and China will react when they new trade partner is involved in a conflict with the US?

And if they don't get involved, how long do you think Israel will last?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Iran will not attack Israel tomorrow. Or the next day for that matter. Iran may be many things, but they're not suicidal. An attack on Israel would be suicide for Iran. What they will do is whip up hatred for Israel in the Middle East. They'll get other countries to do their scrapping for them.

And if Iran attacked Israel tomorrow, would you prefer the US to do nothing?

If they do get involved, how do you think Russia and China will react when they new trade partner is involved in a conflict with the US?

And if they don't get involved, how long do you think Israel will last?

Yes. I can honestly say I would like the US to do nothing.

It is their problem. It's their country. It's their choice. It has nothing at all to do with the US. Let them sort it out between themselves.

There is no reason to have a World Police. The US do not decide the moral assignment of other countries nor who they choose to attack and therefore have no right to interfere.

It's none of their business.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

North Korea.

Nuclear and bonkers. Bad combo.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

my penis

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Iran will not attack Israel tomorrow. Or the next day for that matter. Iran may be many things, but they're not suicidal. An attack on Israel would be suicide for Iran. What they will do is whip up hatred for Israel in the Middle East. They'll get other countries to do their scrapping for them.
    Conversely, now swap "America" for "Iran", "Iran" for "Israel" and "Middle East" with "media". Also hope the last sentence doesn't apply. :)
    Yes. I can honestly say I would like the US to do nothing.
    So you'd be happy to see Israel wiped out?
    It is their problem. It's their country. It's their choice. It has nothing at all to do with the US. Let them sort it out between themselves.

There is no reason to have a World Police. The US do not decide the moral assignment of other countries nor who they choose to attack and therefore have no right to interfere.

It's none of their business.
    I doubt any country chooses to be invaded to be honest. Also, if Ireland was to be hypothetically invaded, who would you prefer to come to our aid?

That being said, ideally no, we don't need a world police in the manner in which people label it here but in a situation where China and Russia would veto any meaningful response from the UN in the event of Iran attacking Israel, would you actually be comfortable sitting back and saying "let them sort their own mess out" as Israel gets hammered into the ground?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Conversely, now swap "America" for "Iran", "Iran" for "Israel" and "Middle East" with "media". Also hope the last sentence doesn't apply. :)

So you'd be happy to see Israel wiped out?

I doubt any country chooses to be invaded to be honest. Also, if Ireland was to be hypothetically invaded, who would you prefer to come to our aid?

That being said, ideally no, we don't need a world police in the manner in which people label it here but in a situation where China and Russia would veto any meaningful response from the UN in the event of Iran attacking Israel, would you actually be comfortable sitting back and saying "let them sort their own mess out" as Israel gets hammered into the ground?

The Israeli's have an estimated 100 nuclear warheads, the Iranians, despite a widespread mistruth being fed to the West by the likes of Fox News do not have any.

The Israeli army is the 4th largest in the world I think. I can safely say there is not a hope that Iran will ever attack Israel directly, it would only lead to an Israeli nuclear response which would kill millions of Iranians. The Iranian government may talk a lot but they're not suicidal.

The Israeli's have an estimated 100 nuclear warheads, the Iranians, despite a widespread mistruth being fed to the West by the likes of Fox News do not have any.

The Israeli army is the 4th largest in the world I think. I can safely say there is not a hope that Iran will ever attack Israel directly, it would only lead to an Israeli nuclear response which would kill millions of Iranians. The Iranian government may talk a lot but they're not suicidal.
    While the nuclear option is, of course, there for Israel, not even the US would condone them using it as it would devastate not only the region but also the West due to the effect it would have on oil prices worldwide.

As for the size of the military, I'm not sure where you heard the 4th largest quote but according to this they have the 17th largest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement