Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

car insurance in new zealand

Options
  • 24-10-2010 4:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

hi just wondering has anybody signed up to this insurance before.
    BBH Backpacker Motor Vehicle Insurance
    seems like a pretty sweet deal. approx 300 dollars for 9 months insurance. Looking at getting a 2l celica to drive about nz so i was thinking it was going to be a bit higher. guess the difference will be made up with fuel costs..
    any other companies worth mentioning for insurance??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

good price.
    I have a
    '96 Sabaru Legacy 2L and my insurance is only $320 a year.
    Fuel is about about $1.80 a litre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Is that comprehensive or third party? I just got a car insurance bill for $550 for comprehensive insurance for a year - I only have a 1l car. I'm thinking of switching to third party because our car is not worth paying $500 a year on insurance!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

mine is 3rd party, fire & theft with windscreen cover

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Rabies wrote: »
    mine is 3rd party, fire & theft with windscreen cover

Sounds like comprehensive, third party covers damage only to the other drivers car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

old_aussie wrote: »
    Sounds like comprehensive, third party covers damage only to the other drivers car.

That's not true. If you get it where it says fire and theft it covers you for that. They do that in Ireland as well. Comprehensive is when they cover you for damage to your car - not just if it is stolen or set on fire. The cover is actually called "third party, fire and theft".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Paid about $350 with the AA this year for fully comp on a 95 Levin 1.6.

OP get the Celica checked out by the AA if you can before you buy, they do a very comprehensive check for about $100 I think. Lots of old Celicas had waterpump and cooling system issues and some of the jap imports i've seen were poorly sealed underneath and have rust.

You can pick up a GT4 Turbo model very cheap here and there's 4 wheel steering/4 wheel drive models too! 4ws is like driving on rails!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

I have it for my 93 subaru legacy, 2.0 litre, 275 bucks for the year. Sweet deal, thankfully haven't needed it yet.

Petrol is 1.85 - 2.10 in gisborne and along the coast :(, and subys are ****ing thirsty cars

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Boooom

Worst car here by the look of it 91 toyota corona, $130 third party.
    Was going to go without but saw the style of 'driving' that goes on here and made the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭C0N0R

My insurance quote for the year third party on a 2.0 twin turbo legacy was $250 I think, will know for sure tomorrow when I go to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 oooomy

pclancy wrote: »
    OP get the Celica checked out by the AA if you can before you buy, they do a very comprehensive check for about $100 I think. Lots of old Celicas had waterpump and cooling system issues and some of the jap imports i've seen were poorly sealed underneath and have rust.
    Thanks for the update - i asked if i could get an inspection done and he said no hehe so no celica for me. good to hear most people are not paying much for insurance anyways.

• Advertisement
Advertisement