Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mother- Arlington Hotel CAMERAS

Options
  • 24-10-2010 5:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Just home from an "electro/indie" gay night(mainly 80s pop) in the title venue. There was a guy floating with a professional camera for at least 30mins. I was filmed dancing and told the guy to delete me from the tape. I wasn't asked for permission or given prior notice at the door. This was a total infringement of privacy. I'm not ashamed to be in a gay bar nor am I ashamed of my orientation BUT I do have a career to protect. How would you all react in this situation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭JayJay123

Yes I understand how you feel. Its like ..you dont care ..but you do!

I would have thought that they wouldnt do that because of those reasons (people not out... dont want work colleagues/family knowing etc..)

It would be different if it was a picture because you could ask for him not to take yours but with a camera its not as if you can help being in its line of sight!

What did he say when you asked to be deleted from the tape?
    I think I would react the same as yourself. I would have liked to be aware beforehand so I could avoid certain areas if need be!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Get in touch with the venue, and see what the story with the cameraman. And then get assurances that the footage was deleted, or they'll be hearing from your solicitor, as you didn't give consent to being filmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭coolvale

i hate having my picture taken regardless of where i am or what im wearing.
    when it was time for school photo's i used say i was sick so i could stay home.when i see a camera i freak out & turn the other way.
    those mobiles with cameras are terrible you dont know if you are being taken or not.
    it is an infringement of your privacy & rights.you should be asked first.
    if we hav'nt our privacy what have we ?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

contact the organisers of Mother to complain as well

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭electrobi

My friends and I complained to security and they just told us to stay out of the way of the cameras...but they FOLLOWED us! So we basically got a few other people to complain until they left. I found it more than unprofessional that they allowed a camera crew into the venue without telling customers upon entry. The cameraman was nice enough when asked to go away or delete footage...but it was still a bit ****ty to have to move from the dance floor or the bar because there's a camera in your face.

I left a complaint, not sure if I will follow it up formally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Can't say I know anything about the event or the location mentioned by the OP but I do know about filming & photography legalities.

Firstly, was this a ticketed event? If so, check the T&C's on the ticket, it might mention about camera/film crews being at the event.

If so, then I'm afraid you have no recourse with the event organisers.

Also check (or can you remember) any signage at the venue about any camera/film crews being at the event.

If the photographer took the time to delete images of people who asked then I suspect that his presence wasn't totally legit. He may have had verbal authorisation to attend the even but this info may not have been relayed to the attendee's.

The reason I say this is because even though it's your image being filmed/photographed you have no rights over that image. The camera operator owns the copyright of the image and is in now way obligated to delete any images of you.
    the_syco wrote: »
    And then get assurances that the footage was deleted, or they'll be hearing from your solicitor, as you didn't give consent to being filmed.

Couple of things here....

1) If the photographer has the permission of the event organiser to be there then there's nothing anyone attending the event can do - saying that, the event organiser must inform attendee's either by the T&C's of sale or by clear signage that the film/camera crew are present and by entering the premises (or buying a ticket) you automatically agree to your image being taken.

2) As mentioned above, threatening legal action will get nowhere. If a camera/film crew is legitimately at an event, location or in a public place then they own the copyright on all images & footage taken. They do not need your consent to take your image/film you.

Any persons captured in this footage/images have no right to demand deletion of said images.

You may disagree with this law but there it is I'm afraid. That's why so many celebs hate the paparazzi, because they know they can do nothing about their picture being taken.

Cool keefg. I'm quite aware of the legalities and as previously mentioned customers were *not* informed there would be a camera man INTRUDING on the night.

I never intended to take legal action. However I do believe the venue should have informed people they would be filmed. And you bet your ass the camera guy deleted the footage, I was not a happy camper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

electrobi wrote: »
    as previously mentioned customers were *not* informed there would be a camera man INTRUDING on the night.

Then that's a big no no by the event organisers.
    electrobi wrote: »
    However I do believe the venue should have informed people they would be filmed.

They have a legal obligation to inform the attendees so you are well within your rights to complain.

keefg wrote: »
    Then that's a big no no by the event organisers.

They have a legal obligation to inform the attendees so you are well within your rights to complain.

I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I was at the Purty Kitchen last night (the Sunday bank holiday gay night) and there was a notice at the entrance stating that there would be filming in progress that night so I guess that was their legal obligation covered (while I saw a guy with a camera outside, I didn't see him or anyone else filming inside - may have been on a different floor to where I was). A friend told me that their gay football club match was filmed at the weekend also. Wonder what's the story with all the filming this weekend - some documentary about Dublin gay life??

btw, OP, you say you have a career to protect. Legally, your employer cannot sack you based on sexual orientation.

• Advertisement

ongarboy wrote: »
    Wonder what's the story with all the filming this weekend - some documentary about Dublin gay life??

btw, OP, you say you have a career to protect. Legally, your employer cannot sack you based on sexual orientation.

Props to Purty Kitchen for giving the heads up. There must be a documentary alright, apparently these guys shooting were from Australia...alcohol and cameras is never a good idea, gay or straight. Nobody wants to turn on the TV and see a family member gyrating like a stripper. (Not that I personally was!)

I know I wouldn't be sacked. I work with young people, my sexuality/social life doesn't need to be their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I was at the Purty Kitchen last night (the Sunday bank holiday gay night) and there was a notice at the entrance stating that there would be filming in progress that night so I guess that was their legal obligation covered (while I saw a guy with a camera outside, I didn't see him or anyone else filming inside - may have been on a different floor to where I was). A friend told me that their gay football club match was filmed at the weekend also. Wonder what's the story with all the filming this weekend - some documentary about Dublin gay life??

I was near the main door when they got in, then they went to the smoking area in the top floor. I was up there, but I think they didn't stay for a long time.

Anyway, I avoided the camera like tha plague :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,705 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The promoter has pointed out on another forum that there were signs outside the venue. You can complain or "follow up formally" all you want - you'll get nowhere.

MYOB wrote: »
    The promoter has pointed out on another forum that there were signs outside the venue. You can complain or "follow up formally" all you want - you'll get nowhere.

I went outside to check and also checked inside the door and there were no signs. Maybe the sign fairy removed them before I got there. I also questioned security about it and they just said it "probably" wouldn't be on TV.

Like I said I'm not taking it anywhere. All I'm asking is for how other people would *feel* about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,190 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

That depends, Section 37 of the 'equality' legislation would certainly have the possibility of adversely affecting the OP's employment situation, should they be in a religious owned school or medical facility and should the owners decide that being openly gay did not fit with the 'ethos' of the establishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

spurious wrote: »
    That depends, Section 37 of the 'equality' legislation would certainly have the possibility of adversely affecting the OP's employment situation, should they be in a religious owned school or medical facility and should the owners decide that being openly gay did not fit with the 'ethos' of the establishment.

Yes, but does dancing and hanging out with friends in a night club in your private time away from work constitute being "openly gay" in your workplace? Even if an employer spotted such footage on TV, I still think the any court would side with the OP or anyone in that situation. I acknowledge that there would be awkwardness for some folk in those types of work environments however, even if the law was completely on your side...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,705 ✭✭✭✭L1011

An employer would have to watching a Canadian gay travel show, at that...

I feel the need to reiterate, this thread was never about taking legal action or asking for advise on doing so. Nor am I worried about my employers seeing me on the television. I mentioned my career because I work with young people. I was just asking for people's reactions and feelings and how they would feel in the situation or in another hypothetically similar situation. So thanks to all the people who actually answered the question. And to the others who felt they needed to share their legal knowledge...thanks for that too.

I'm out, this dead horse of a thread has been beaten enough.

Advertisement