Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb metro..

• 24-10-2010 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Looking up the forum saw people saying good things about digiweb metro. So, I'm thinking of getting their 8mb package. 60gb cap, installation cost for free and for 39.95 a month seems quite good enough. Plan to use it for surfing the internet, a bit downloading and gaming. I also have an eircom phone line in the house, maybe go for on of their DSL products? But I'm a bit confused - do I need to buy a separate router or digiweb will give me one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 eyssy12

Can anyone give me an advice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Sometimes they have a special offer on Routers, otherwise buy one*. You can cancel the eircom line and move number to Digiweb. Save €26 a month.

Welfare subsidy is NOT specific to eircom. Can be used for Mobile Phone or any other phone.

*Ethernet/Cable Router. NOT one with DSL modem built in. Belkin are not recommended. You don't particularly need "N" WiFi, "g", is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 eyssy12

watty wrote: »
    Sometimes they have a special offer on Routers, otherwise buy one*. You can cancel the eircom line and move number to Digiweb. Save €26 a month.

Welfare subsidy is NOT specific to eircom. Can be used for Mobile Phone or any other phone.

*Ethernet/Cable Router. NOT one with DSL modem built in. Belkin are not recommended. You don't particularly need "N" WiFi, "g", is fine.

Thanks for reply. How can I cancel the eircom line and move the number to digiweb? Would this router be good enough - http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6759496/c_1/1|category_root|Office%2C+PCs+and+phones|14418968/c_2/2|cat_14418968|Wireless+networking|14419015/c_3/3|cat_14419015|Cable+routers|14419022.htm

P.S. Sorry for my little knowledge of these things :)

yes. that's exactly the right kind of thing. I've not used an Asus router, but not heard anything bad.

Digiweb will tell you how.
    See http://support.digiweb.ie/questions/34/Metro+FAQ%27s

you don't ever cancel phone line explicit.
    1) The alternate is working a week!
    2) You have ported the number. Since the line now has no number, eircom cancel it.
    3) When existing number is working on Metro you can confirm with eircom that number is cancelled.

If the porting form is not filled exactly, then eircom reject the "port" and it has to be applied for again. Sadly eircom are not like mobile where it can take 5mins to port.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

well when i looked at it dsl is 7Mb,100GB,59.99 per month
    metro is 8Mb,60GB, 64.95 per month.

so a higher speed slightly but lower cap - which wouldnt suit me as higher speed means i burn through stuff :)
    just my 2 cents.. but then again metro is supposed to be less affected by congestion etc so whatever you choose each has its benefits.
    iv been on eircom dsl and i assume the line will be the same. i never had less than my 1Mb speed with them so i figure i wont have issues with dsl anyway so im sticking to it

• Advertisement

kenyard wrote: »
    well when i looked at it dsl is 7Mb,100GB,59.99 per month
    metro is 8Mb,60GB, 64.95 per month.
    Your price is WAY off
    http://digiweb.ie/home/broadband/metro/index.html
    It's listed at €39.95 p.m. for 8Mbps 60GByte cap.

If you want high Cap then go for Magnet or UPC.

If you are one person using more than 60GByte consider buying a Satellite PVR or ceasing p2p if it's not business use.

Advertisement