Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing Tyres

• 24-10-2010 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

Hi,

I was out on the bike this morning, only 5km down the road when my rear tyre ran over a piece of glass that I thought I'd missed.

I have continental GP4000's and I know they are durable, but the cut was like someone had slashed my tyre with a knife :mad:

Anyway, I'm keen to replace the tyre this afternoon so I can get at least one spin over the bank holiday weekend.

Do I need to replace both tyres, or just the rear one?

Also, the current tyres I have are 700x25 - which makes it hard to put a mudguard on my Giant Defy.

Would 700x23 give me enough space to do this and provide a decent level of grip. Am I unwise to change the rear tyre to 700x23 and left the front as 700x25?

Thnaks for any replies in advance,

Comments

As long as the front tyre is ok and has a decent amount of tread left you can replace just the rear.

The choice between 23 with mudguards or 25 without is one I have also had to make thanks to tight clearances on my winter bike (Ridley compact). 23s are ok in the winter as long as you take it handy in the corners, but obviously 25s would be preferable really due to their better grip and cushioning.

25 front 23 rear is a setup I had for a while on a different bike, works well I found, as front wheel grip is more important than rear wheel grip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

25 front 23 rear is a setup I had for a while on a different bike, works well I found, as front wheel grip is more important than rear wheel grip.

I have the opposite, 25 rear and 23 front. The rear is where the extra shock absorbtion matters (to avoid pinch flats, etc).

Are you sure the difference between 25s and 23s is enough to allow you to fit a mudguard?

You can always just buy a new bike? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

MORNING..
    Just had the same problem myself..I had put The Conti 4 seasons on last winter and found them to be excellent tyres particularly on the wet and leafy roads around Wicklow.

Went to put them on last week and on the VERY FIRST RIDE back into home after 70 blissful km, I went straight over a smashed Heineken bottle or 4 that some MORONS had decided to smash at the entrance roundabout to our estate.

No blowout but a nice slash on the tyre that I wouldn't be keen on riding. Just shows though that they are highly resilient and puncture resistant...They would want to be for the price of each tyre!

Listen though..If you are stuck for a tyre this weekend, I have a couple of 700x23 here and you are free to take one FOC..

I am rideless (bikewise!) this weekend as I am running in and out of the Coombe as the missus is short sprint finish to deliver! (No. 3!)

PM me if you need a tyre..I am in the Bray area. For info. the new tyres I went for are the Conti Gatorskins which come in about 50% cheaper that the 4 seasons. I got them on Chain Reaction for 20 a pop. Great delivery inside 36hrs free of charge too.

PS Many thanks to Roy and Denis and the lads from Sorrento I met up the hills last week..It was a joy to ride with ye..Particularly enjoyed the descent down Callary. The computer showed a max of 73kph

serendip wrote: »
    I have the opposite, 25 rear and 23 front. The rear is where the extra shock absorbtion matters (to avoid pinch flats, etc).

Ya I was going to mention that, the downside of that setup was a more jarring ride. To be honest it wasn't a setup that I consciously decided on, it just kinda happened that way cos I needed a new rear tyre and the shop I went to only had 23s in stock.

Advertisement