Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United v Stoke. 1.30pm

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

My motm vote:

1) Chico

2) Evra

3) berbatov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

mars bar wrote: »
    Baz man, you've let me down with your lack of match threads recently. :(

In my defence I only woke up at like 1 and I was extreeemely hungover.:pac::P
    Lovely OP, though.:D

Was happy with what I saw today, only saw the first half though, so I can't really give a fair vote on MotM. Looking forward to MotD 2!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Mom Chico ,vidic,berbatov.thought vidic won a lot of ball over jones great 3 points would of liked to see smalling on for nevil very lucky boy!! Brown played well, John had a bit of a howler giving the ball away far to easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Johner wrote: »
    Bit harsh on Stoke, they did well.

They arent a relation to a football team.They were appalling today.
    No attempt to play any sort of football.
    They spent the whole match lumping long balls into the box or letting Delap throw his aerial bombs in.
    They scored from their solitary shot on target which was a bit of magic from Tuncay .
    Apart from that their football was worse than Wimbledon in the 80's.
    I seriously hope they get relegated ,its teams like them that give English football a bad name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I enjoy watching Stoke play. There, I said it!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Not an easy place to go Stoke, three points is great.
    Hopefully now we can kick on, especially with a big game vs spurs next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

adox wrote: »
    My motm vote:

1) Chico

2) Evra

3) berbatov

swap berba for evra and that's mine. Everyone bar o shea second half did well for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

baz2009 wrote: »
    In my defence I only woke up at like 1 and I was extreeemely hungover.:pac::P
    Lovely OP, though.:D

Was happy with what I saw today, only saw the first half though, so I can't really give a fair vote on MotM. Looking forward to MotD 2!:D

I'm honoured that you like it! :D

I swear if Chicharito is gonna is gonna keep this up, he'll have his own half our show dedicated to his wacky goals! What a header that was.

He's had kids practicing hitting footballs off their faces and now he's gonna have them doing backward headers! The lad gives me a genuine laugh. What a guy!

I voted:
    1. Hernandez
    2. Vidic
    3. Berbatov

Although 2 and 3 coulda been the other way around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

I just watched MOTD2 and noticed that United could have, if not should have had 2 penalties today.
    Also delighted for Hernandez today, great character, I love the delight on his face when he scores. It is like watching a five year old opening the best present ever on Christmas.
    There is a definite improvement in his physique too. Seems to have bulked up a fair bit since coming to the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

killwill wrote: »
    I just watched MOTD2 and noticed that United could have, if not should have had 2 penalties today.
    Also delighted for Hernandez today, great character, I love the delight on his face when he scores. It is like watching a five year old opening the best present ever on Christmas.
    There is a definite improvement in his physique too. Seems to have bulked up a fair bit since coming to the club.

Agreed the ref was a pig to us gave everything the other way silly frees in our half were not they were throws, berba had to TELL the ref Chico was fouled on the edge of the box how frustrating for the players!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    I enjoy watching Stoke play. There, I said it!!!!
    oh lordy....stoke are a terrible team to watch, as bad a footballing team as there is in the league. Their fans are also the biggest shower of, to put it mildly, not nice people. The league would be better without them. They depend on throws, long balls and set plays. Terrible club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

oh lordy....stoke are a terrible team to watch, as bad a footballing team as there is in the league. Their fans are also the biggest shower of, to put it mildly, not nice people. The league would be better without them. They depend on throws, long balls and set plays. Terrible club

I agree they are not in the league to play football, well not against the top 6 or so anyway.
    And as for their fans, if they concentrated on supporting their team instead of booing whoever they play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Their style of play works for the most part.How can it be dismissed when it keeps them in the league ? Their fans generate a great atmosphere which is a bad thing how ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

d22ontour wrote: »
    Their style of play works for the most part.How can it be dismissed when it keeps them in the league ? Their fans generate a great atmosphere which is a bad thing how ?

Agree , All though its may not be the prettist brand of football ,it works for them and their fans ,It has keep them up and thats the bottom line for many of the so -called smaller clubs .

Ps there wasn't much wrong or boring about the style or skill of Tuncay's strike :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

killwill wrote: »

You see at the end of the season all this sorta thing is forgotten. Everyone instead will talk about the controversial ones we were given and the usual ****e of 'oh the big teams get everything' will be the only thing on peoples minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

You would have to have been at Old Trafford at the end of last season to see why some United fans including me hate Stoke. Their team gets an absolute beating and yet they celebrated for 90 mins as if it was them lifting the premier league trophy. Supporting a team playing in a different stadium, hundreds of miles away, for no other reason than to be c*nts does not make fantastic support IMO.

As for their style of football, its not pretty but it keeps them in the league so I've no real problem with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

to put it mildly, stoke have some of the roughest and scumiest fans in the league. when they got promoted, the eyes of firms up and down England light up. it makes for a very interesting away trip, yesterday was no different. anybody that i know who made the trip, said it was one of the best aways in a long long time.

united were decent for the first 45 minutes yesterday, but then a john o shea inspired nervousness set in. his form is poor at the moment, he gave away the ball 5 times in a row before being subbed off. fletcher then did it, as did scholes 2 timese and suddenly a nervousness set in.

we defended superbly yesterday, stoke had one chance, you wouldnt even call it a chance and took it. apart from that, it was long ball, throws and corners. united controlled the game outside of this and were comfortable on the counter, we created 4 or 5 great other chances, but only took 2. one defensive lapse came from evra who was nowhere to be seen, though the lads watching with me said he was out of position as scholes gave it away, have yet to see the replays, but my first thought was that evra was badly at fault. anyway, he was in the right position to set up the winner, so it all worked out in the end.

people dont realise just how big a 3 points that is there yesterday, i guarantee you, chelsea, spurs, city, liverpool and arsenal won come away there with 15 points as a group, 1 or 2 of them will lose and there will be 1 or 2 draws also.

super result, really is and hopefully we can kick on now with 2 wins going into the city game. another positive is we are, i think, unbeaten now in 20 games. we aint lost since chelsea.

this season - 9 in the league, 1 carling cup, 1 charity shield, 3 cl.
    6 unbeaten at the end of last season, 5 in the league and 1 in the cl.

of those 20, we have won 13 and drawn 7. not bad really and rooney hasnt played much in that run of games, or at least played well anyway. we have scored 42 goals in that rooney and rooney has only score once :eek:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

d22ontour wrote: »
    It doesn't mean anyone has to like it. They're awful and I very much hope that they go down while WBA and Blackpool stay up. It'd send a message that it's actually OK to try to play football in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dE1CQzhqbjFHX1R1alNESUJ6TXZxRHc6MQ#gid=0

Still looking for MotM votes, only got two votes from non-Man United fans so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dE1CQzhqbjFHX1R1alNESUJ6TXZxRHc6MQ#gid=0

Still looking for MotM votes, only got two votes from non-Man United fans so far.

Not really a game for neutrals, and abu's turned off after neville was taken off, that probably explains it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

It doesn't mean anyone has to like it. They're awful and I very much hope that they go down while WBA and Blackpool stay up. It'd send a message that it's actually OK to try to play football in the PL.
    I'm not a fan of Stoke's style and if I had to watch them every week I'd give up on football. But it is good to have all sorts of different styles in the league imo.
    Stoke and Blackburn's positional game.
    Birmingham and Man City's defensive game.
    Arsenal's passing game.
    Chelsea's balanced game.
    Variety is the spice of life and it makes the PL so hard to do well in as teams have to be able to cope with it all. I honestly think that the league is stronger for having the odd team who play like Stoke in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I appreciate their style. Hard, physical, rough and tough. Total commitment. One thing which sticks in my mind is Delap, absolutely wrecked, yet managing to rush back and cut out a cross. They sure do work hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Pro. F wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of Stoke's style and if I had to watch them every week I'd give up on football. But it is good to have all sorts of different styles in the league imo.
    Stoke and Blackburn's positional game.
    Birmingham and Man City's defensive game.
    Arsenal's passing game.
    Chelsea's balanced game.
    Variety is the spice of life and it makes the PL so hard to do well in as teams have to be able to cope with it all. I honestly think that the league is stronger for having the odd team who play like Stoke in it.

I don't know if you have watched much of stoke this year but I think they're mixing it up pretty well, especially when they play fuller he gives them the option of playing into feet, jones for long ball/throws etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Is there any reason theyre not starting Fuller? I can imagine defenders hating playing against him and im not sure that Walters is as good

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

ntlbell wrote: »
    I don't know if you have watched much of stoke this year but I think they're mixing it up pretty well, especially when they play fuller he gives them the option of playing into feet, jones for long ball/throws etc
    That's interesting to hear. I don't think I've watched them at all this season before yesterday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement