Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

c&c- so unsure!

• 24-10-2010 1:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I haven't posted anything for c&c for a while, but I have one I took last week, and I was hoping for some feedback... I like it, but I'm not sure if it's a bit underexposed in parts... anyone any critique? I've lost my eye for a while, just wondering if I'm clutching at straws with this one... C'mon, lemme have it! :p

CD9AA9C793AF4BBF9F1ED23C6E378E2A-0000327928-0001991629-00640L-5FBFDDB4C62048FEBEA52D9B8676B1FD.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Rather than being underexposed your sky is overexposed and has lost all detail. Had there been detail in the sky to me the image would be fine. Did you shoot raw or jpeg, if raw you may be able to pull back detail in the sky.

I don't really think it looks over or under exposed. I often find that skies can be just plain. Maybe the sky just hates me?

Regardless, I like the picture, though I'm never too fond of black and white in general, so i am not a big fan of the lack of colour. From a purely composition standpoint, I like it and think it's nice, though I do think, because of how plain the sky is, there is a little too much sky in the image. I'd crop it down a little, but other than that, it seems nice to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 freddyhard

crop it square so that you lose a little more at the top than the bottom. i think b&w suits this photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I would also crop it down, to not much above the cross. Too much whiteout with nothing of interest. The image itself is nice though, like the perspective. A change from the usual straight on fountain/building shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Hey all,

Thanks a million for the feedback. Seems the sky is the burning issue. I didn't shoot raw, so no pulling back the detail, but I've cropped it down, what do people think of it?

48469850E57E4AFFA29A4147884DF6FB-0000327928-0001994017-00640L-9729BA1AD11249858C905A9B7E262522.jpg

• Advertisement

Looks grand to me. As i say, imnot into black and white, but it's quite a nice image. :) Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

ah St Peters......nice angle but again the burnout of the sky does no favours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I have come back to this thread a few times, to look & re-look at this photo.

The overexposed sky is not a problem ( for me) - you have a very high-contrast scene here, which goes from solid black to solid white, and you have hit a good balance.

I struggle with the composition though, no focal point, no leading lines/pattern etc...

I am sure this photo has meaning for you, I just don't 'get it' myself...

- FoxT

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Zxc

Hi Zoegh,

Insipid skies can be the bane of photographers.

I just dont think the one in this photograph offers much to the image.

My suggestion is as follows. Using your second posted image, I would be tempted to crop the sky out totally and go for a square format, concentrating the viewer's attention on the spray in the fountain and leading to a more abstract image rather than a more tourist location shot that it seems to be.

I love black and white photographs and I would like the image as I described. See what you think yourself.

Regards, Zxc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I like it Zoe. The burnt sky in the first isn't a major problem for me given the style in which you are presenting it in - and this kind of style I enjoy. I dunno but the composition is 'different' to me and presumably it is intentionally so. I mean the obvious would be a architectural scape on the ornate building behind or for it to be a dominant feature, but you've nicely imho indicated that no, there is more going on here - the building doesn't dominate but shares the space within the frame. For this reason/interpretation, I like it. Nicely done.

• Advertisement

Apologies for bastardising your image, but you could always try and 'render' in some clouds. Here's a fairly quick attempt by me;

51106244.jpg

Just an idea, if you wanted to play about with it, but as I say, personally, the sky doesn't bother me all that much.

Advertisement