Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearms Holiday?

Options
  • 24-10-2010 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭

Im looking to go on a shooting holiday. Something along the lines of a firing range and good choice of weapons to try out. Im not really interested in hunting.

Do these exist? Has anyone been on one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Krieg wrote: »
    Im looking to go on a shooting holiday. Something along the lines of a firing range and good choice of weapons to try out. Im not really interested in hunting.

Do these exist? Has anyone been on one?

Sure they do,

In the USA.

Plenty of 'em in FL.

I assume you mean firearms, tho', eh?

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

tac foley wrote: »
    Sure they do,

In the USA.

Plenty of 'em in FL.

I assume you mean firearms, tho', eh?

tac

Weapon's Firearms who CARE'S:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Weapon's Firearms who CARE'S:rolleyes:

On THIS board they do.

The word 'weapon' is not popular, hence the gentle bollocking administered to those who use it by the DS.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

tac foley wrote: »
    On THIS board they do.

The word 'weapon' is not popular, hence the gentle bollocking administered to those who use it by the DS.

tac

May not be popular but still a weapon, a lot of us are not popular but:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Was in the US 2 years ago firing a barret M82A1 and a H&K UMP 40.... everything else there id either fires or wasnt interested in........

Something along those lines lol ?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Was in the US 2 years ago firing a barret M82A1 and a H&K UMP 40.... everything else there id either fires or wasnt interested in........

Something along those lines lol ?????

I would jizz myself if i got a chance to fire an M82!

Do you have the name of the place?

Thanks for all the replies so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Krieg wrote: »
    I would jizz myself if i got a chance to fire an M82!

Do you have the name of the place?

Thanks for all the replies so far

After paying rental its $5 a shot so dont be goin crazy on it

http://billsgs.com/

they have 2 shops do depending what you wanna fire will depend where you go. however If ya give em enough notice as to what you want ive heard that they will have both in 1 store for you.

Heres the catch though...... the range is 25 meters !!!

not ideal for releasing the full potential of the .50 but it gives you a feel of power, sound and recoil (every1 else stops shooting in AWE of the .50)

Heres some pics to wet the lips...

If you do get over there .... get me there "gun nut" t shirt .. mines shrank in the wash :P:P

Sh!te.... lookin at the site now they have way more machine gun rentals..... Id go back just for that glock 18 :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

After paying rental its $5 a shot so dont be goin crazy on it

http://billsgs.com/

50 BMG indoors? Jebus that must be loud.
    OP if you're ever near southern California gimme a shout, I've got basically everything

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

That place looks deadly. Can't believe I drove 500 miles to Minneapolis a while back and didn't even know that place was there.

Krieg, I visited a couple of ranges that rent guns in Vegas, and posted about it here. Summary: the place I recommend out there is American Shooters

The places I saw there didn't look anywhere near as cool as that place gunhappy_ie went to in MN. If that list on their website of all the guns they have for rent is true, then that's impressive. I'd consider using that place to check out guns I'm thinking of buying in the future! On the other hand, there is not a whole lot to see/do in Minneapolis IMO, besides the world's second biggest shopping mall. For that reason, unless you're travelling exclusively to shoot, I'd consider somewhere that has more to see during your spare (non-shooting) time.

I've heard that there are places in the Czech Republic that have this kind of thing too, no first hand knowledge of that though.

One word of advice: if you travel to the States for this, assuming you're not a US citizen, you must have a valid hunting license in order to be in possession of a firearm and or ammunition. This is federal law (applies to every state). A lot of people don't know this (including the guys who run the range). Easiest option is the Alaska small game license, because there are no course requirements. You can buy it online and print out a copy at home, then you're covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I have shot in Prauge a few times, there are plently of places that rent out fire-arms. A quick google should sort you out. I only fired hand guns over there as it was something I could not try over here then, about 8-10 years ago. Though here we are 10 years later and there is still so much we can't use over here.

Prauge is a lovely city, plently to do and see. It would be worth checking out unless you really want to go to the states. Those pics are great, I would love a few shots out of that .50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Thx for all the info.

I kinda shat myself when you told me about needing to get a licence. Being from the city and not knowing anyone who owns land makes it very difficult to obtain a firearms licence. That hunting licence has similar requirements.

But I sent an email to Bill's and they told me the only thing i need to bring is my passport, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

I kinda shat myself when you told me about needing to get a licence. Being from the city and not knowing anyone who owns land makes it very difficult to obtain a firearms licence. That hunting licence has similar requirements.

I'm confused - I'm talking about an Alaska hunting license. The only requirement is that you have a credit card. PM me if you can't find the right links on the website, I know it's not all that clear. The one you want is the anual small game hunting license.

It's nothing like getting a firearms license in Ireland - you just fill out your details and submit the form, then you can print your license off then and there. The reason I recommend buying the Alaska license is because most other states (a) require you to do a hunter education course and (b) charge an arm and a leg for nonresident licenses. The Alaska one only costs $20.

I just bought one there for 2011 and I can assure you there are no special requirements.
    But I sent an email to Bill's and they told me the only thing i need to bring is my passport, thankfully.

The are WRONG!

That may be all they require but the federal government has other ideas.

I realize it must seem sensible to take the advice of the people who run the range, but believe me, they will not know anything about laws pertaining to nonimmigrant aliens (which is what you will be if you travel on a visa, including the visa waiver program)

Read this:
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/nonimmigrant-aliens.html#nonimmigrant-possession

That will explain the situation. Believe me, I have read the relevant statue many, many times, and have discussed this on the phone with an ATF agent, and have received several emails & brochues from that same bureau confirming that this is the law. I am 100% sure. I have also never met a firearms dealer in the states who knew the first thing about these laws, or had even heard of a nonimmigrant alien! I am a nonimmigrant, although I live here, and I have to show them how to fill out the forms whenever I buy a gun. Go figure, as they say over here.

In fairness, the chances that the ATF will come checking on something like this are extremely slim. People violate this law all the time and nothing happens. But it's up to you whether you want to risk it or not. For the sake of $20, I would not - even if you are let go, you could ruin your chances of being allowed back in the country again. The way the ATF operates, they don't prosecute all cases, but those they do prosecute, they tend to throw the book at people to make an example.

It doesn't matter that the proprietor doesn't think you need it, and doesn't check it. You just want to have it so that you're covered.

Advertisement