Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysian Rendang ideas

Options
  • 24-10-2010 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

OK so ive been making this rendang for a while and its very very tasty BUT, the only thing it seems to need is maybe a nice flavoured spice of some sort. I can get all the heat i want from the chillies but i just need a nice taste if that makes sense!

Heres the ingredients i use:

3 tbsp oil
    spring onions
    2 chillis
    3 tsp ginger
    6 garlic cloves
    1+1/2 cup of water
    1+1/2 cups of coconut milk
    lemongrass
    chicken/beef

Any ideas?

Also, the texture is quite soupy, i know rendang is generally made like that but is there any way to thicken it up ever so slightly??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

This is the Beef Rendang recipe I use for four sparrows (two hungry people in our house with a bit left over for my lunch). A rendang should be dry - the coconut cream will split, frying the cooked meat and intensifying the flavours.

For the paste

1 onion
    1 thumb sized knob of fresh ginger
    4 cloves garlic
    1 lemongrass stalk, tough outer layer removed and roughly chopped
    1 tsp turmeric2 long red fresh chillies
    1 nut of nutmeg or 1/2 tsp of ground nutmeg4 cloves or a couple of pinches of ground clove
    Blitz all of that to a paste and add to wok or non stick pan (Non stick pan is best)

Next the whole spices

1 thumb sized knob of galangal cut into discs
    1 cinnamon stick
    4 kaffir lime leaves

Then add 400ml/14fl oz coconut milk, same amount of water and 600g braising steak, cut into 2cm/1inch cubes. I use shin of beef here - the connective tissue in the shin meat keeps the whole thing from drying out.

Bring the whole concoction to the boil and simmer for about 90 minutes to two hours covered. Check a couple of times that it is not sticking.
    Uncover and start to reduce the liquid content. This bit should take from 30 minutes to 1 hour. The rendang will start life as a pale yellow colour - as the liquid boils off, it will gradually darken until the meat and solids are frying in the oil from the coconut milk. As the last of the liquid evaporates, it is important to keep stirring and watch the heat. It will burn easily (hence the non stick pan). It should darken to a rich mahogany colour.

Rendang is a dry curry from Malaysia - if you prefer you curry with a little sauce (I do) add a little water right at the end, ie when the frying has produced it's magic. Serve with plain boiled rice, a little fresh coriander and a pile of bean shoots.

Advertisement