Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photoblog; change to a website- why not?

• 24-10-2010 1:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    If you have a photoblog would you change/upgrade it to a photo website?
    If not, just wondering why not?
    Couldn't be bothered, no need, too much work or what?

(The basis for this question is that I have a photoblog and thinking of changing to a Zenfolio site. Seems to have nice layout, better for galleries than Wordpress ones, easier for browsing for users etc.)

cheers,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

There's no reason you can't combine the two. There are some amazing wordpress themes that transform your 'blog' into an easily managed and professional looking portfolio site. I'm running a customized version of this theme, looks great but still retains the easy blog posting options native to wordpress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Why don't you just sit back and think why you need a website with galleries instead of a photoblog? There's no point asking others because it's what you need and not what others think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

kensutz wrote: »
    Why don't you just sit back and think why you need a website with galleries instead of a photoblog? There's no point asking others because it's what you need and not what others think.
    Sorry, maybe I should clarify.
    I have my mind made up. I should have said Im just curious as to others think/did when they have/had a photoblog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I don't think they are mutually exclusive activities.

A blog comes from being a personal/professional log written on the web, a web log as it were, hence shortened to a blog. The concept is write a log / a journal / a personal memorandum of something. Some people write words. Others show pictures. Mostly its implemented on a style of a regular or periodic entry posted to represent something - something you want to write about, something you've seen, something you've photographed. The style is very personal.

The web site on the other hand is more of a structured activity - "I want a page that has a navigation bar, a news item, an event, a twitter feed, a gallery, a facebook like button., etc.."

Personally speaking, I have a photo blog (which gets updated periodically :)) and I have a gallery where a select number of limited edition prints can be purchased (I haven't promoted this much.... bleh :)). Neither is connected at present. I've little in the way of information or contact links. I'm in the process of creating a basic web site which will connect the blog and the gallery and provide some additional information, contact details, and so forth. It is the next step in world domination don't ya know. Without a website world domination isn't possible apparently.

What I see me updating is the blog regularly, the gallery occasionally, and the web site seldom (i'll be too busy with that world domination lark). In truth, that's kinda how it as at the moment (albeit I should probably be more proactive on some fronts) but without the web site element.

I personally don't think a web site replaces a blog. It can incorporate one. A blog is different in concept. Yet, there is no reason why you couldn't use a website like a blog or indeed a blog like a website. All very confusing.

I'd suggest maybe considering keeping your blogging activities for blogging, and get yourself a web site for the linking/information piece, and establish a gallery (IIRC - you intend to sell some work online?). Thereafter, marketing is the next missing link for you.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    I personally don't think a web site replaces a blog. It can incorporate one. A blog is different in concept. Yet, there is no reason why you couldn't use a website like a blog or indeed a blog like a website. All very confusing.

This is the best option. My site has a portfolio section, which has a showcase of my best work in different areas, a personal gallery which is collections of non-portfolio stuff (mini photo projects, travel pics etc) and then a blog section which I update with posts about whatever. I think that's the best system, it combines everything in a nice little package.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

If someone has two and i'm looking though their stuff I will amost always go to the blog and not the site. I don't want to see the best they've ever shot I want to see the stuff that they produce every day
    That being said I dont have a blog at the moment. I'm still searching for the best template.

My plan is to have a most recent section with everyday photos as mentioned above.

A few people contacted me by PM, so I thought rather than sending out the link to everyone I'd just post it here.

http://robhuntphoto.com

The site runs on wordpress 3, which allows the use of static pages and categorised posts. Obviously I'm not entirely finished, I'm adding a bit to it day by day, but that should give you an idea of the kind of stuff I'm doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

Why not have a photoblog what is also a website?

I have a wordpress site in which I have various sections such as write ups on photo shots, articles on my lighting set ups, general blogish type posts. Then I also have a portfolio section and an about me section.

It's all about the right wordpress theme. Check mine out, http://www.richie.ie

Edit...

Snap Rob.... I see you like graphpaper press :)

There's a typo on the nice Richie site-
    an sports.
    Hey there, I am an sports and event photographer for the day job who has recently started to dabble in some

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

dinneenp wrote: »
    There's a typo on the nice Richie site-
    an sports.
    Hey there, I am an sports and event photographer for the day job who has recently started to dabble in some

ha cheers... I would never see stuff like that

Advertisement