Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soden for Ireland becoming the 51st state

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I'd like to congratulate Ronald Quinlan for cherry picking quotes to make a story more sensational. This is at least better than the Independents usual ploy of making up quotes to unattributable sources (See main headline article today for a perfect example of this).

Mr. Soden merely put forth an argument but does not state his own opinion. This is rather a discussion on the pros and cons of such a move. This is of course utter pie in the sky nonsense and is only a theoretical possibility. Politically, socially and economically we operate differently. Convergence to the US model would be next to impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

I'd like to congratulate Ronald Quinlan for cherry picking quotes to make a story more sensational. This is at least better than the Independents usual ploy of making up quotes to unattributable sources (See main headline article today for a perfect example of this).

Mr. Soden merely put forth an argument but does not state his own opinion. This is rather a discussion on the pros and cons of such a move. This is of course utter pie in the sky nonsense and is only a theoretical possibility. Politically, socially and economically we operate differently. Convergence to the US model would be next to impossible.

You could probably get by with being the lost county of Massachusetts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

You could probably get by with being the lost county of Massachusetts.

I don't get the reference, can you explain?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

It will not happen, the US is pretty right for potatoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

It will not happen, the US doesn't have a shortage of potatoes.

I don't get the reference, can you explain?:confused:

Massachusetts is a state on the far Eastern coast of the US that is full of third and fourth generation Irish people. Between the political machines, the bars, the overpriced infrastructure projects, the Catholicism, and Southie, Ireland could easily be the lost county of Massachusetts; sure it's only a five hour flight anyway. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 starre

Ireland joining the USA used to be a regular opinion piece trotted out in the newspapers back in pre celtic tiger days. I remember debating it in school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

"maybe an annual payment for a number of years to get our finances back in balance"

Ah now, what have you been smoking Mr Soden?

The USA, where "In God we trust, everyone else pays cash" giving us a handout.

They'd need their heads examined.

Plus I'd strongly object to being under the, ahem, "leadership" of Obama, who's as bad as Cowan any day of the week.

*waits for the rabblerabblerabble of our own left wing nutjobs*

Don't believe me? Wait for the mid terms, then we'll talk about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

"We were always at war with EastAsia" :D

I for one welcome our new Oceanic overlords :P

jokes aside, the indo just went down a further notch (if that was even possible!), the quality of writing in the media which pays the likes of this guy and Alison is one of the reasons this country is where it is, but yeh as long as people keep buying their rag and they keep selling adspace....

• Advertisement

starre wrote: »
    Ireland joining the USA used to be a regular opinion piece trotted out in the newspapers back in pre celtic tiger days. I remember debating it in school.

Really? What were the arguments back then?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yeah because the US is better then Europe
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Count me in. Most of my earnings are in dollars now anyway, and converting to euros sucks.

Also, I want netflix.

edit - Also, half of south Dublin already speaks with 'American' accents, so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

i hate the E.U with a passion.I cant understand why Irish people defend it so much.it robbed ireland out of 70bn euro
    Absolute rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

its not as daft as you think,check this out,on august 28th 2000,the US international trade commission[USITC] released a report on its findings on the impact on the US economy of including the UK in a free trade arrangement with the US,CANADA and MEXICO,this was from a request by the british goverment

getz wrote: »
    its not as daft as you think,check this out,on august 28th 2000,the US international trade commission[USITC] released a report on its findings on the impact on the US economy of including the UK in a free trade arrangement with the US,CANADA and MEXICO,this was from a request by the british goverment

But a free trade agreement is a far cry from "joining" the US. NAFTA countries don't even have the automatic right to work in other member countries; it is a far less integrated system than the EU's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Sanjuro wrote: »
    I don't dislike America. Or Americans. The many Americans I've met have been very pleasant people. But there is absolutely no way in hell I'd want to live in their idea of democracy. We have our problems. And they are many. But when you look at the US' medical system, their judicial system, their electoral system, then there's something to be said about our way of running things. Badly.

whoah wait now, i can't comment on all the states but our judicial system is in need of a complete overhaul. it is a farce

But a free trade agreement is a far cry from "joining" the US. NAFTA countries don't even have the automatic right to work in other member countries; it is a far less integrated system than the EU's.
    it is very different, but as you can understand most UK citizens have no love for the EU,if they could have voted [like ireland did] we would have been out of it now,the politicians know this,and that is why they are all reluctant to fully commit, so if for some reason the EU goes down the plug hole,the UK has already has done the ground work, and has a way out.and i would like to think irealand would join them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

getz wrote: »
    it is very different, but as you can understand most UK citizens have no love for the EU,if they could have voted [like ireland did] we would have been out of it now,the politicians know this,and that is why they are all reluctant to fully commit, so if for some reason the EU goes down the plug hole,the UK has already has done the ground work, and has a way out.and i would like to think irealand would join them

Geographically speaking North America is simply too far away even with aeroplanes for a free trade agreement to work particularly well I'd imagine.

Geographically speaking North America is simply too far away even with aeroplanes for a free trade agreement to work particularly well I'd imagine.
    not all trade is shipping cows about,inthe 2000 report it says the US is the UKs single largest trading partner and accounts for about 90%,of the UKs trade with north america,www.tradeobservator.org/libray.cff?=24995 .ihope this will upload for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

there should be a union of english speaking countrys

:whistle: :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

johngalway wrote: »
    "maybe an annual payment for a number of years to get our finances back in balance"

Ah now, what have you been smoking Mr Soden?

The USA, where "In God we trust, everyone else pays cash" giving us a handout.

They'd need their heads examined.

Plus I'd strongly object to being under the, ahem, "leadership" of Obama, who's as bad as Cowan any day of the week.

*waits for the rabblerabblerabble of our own left wing nutjobs*

Don't believe me? Wait for the mid terms, then we'll talk about it.

Because the "fiscal conservatives" will win?

fontanalis wrote: »
    Because the "fiscal conservatives" will win?

Hey if the lady who claims she is not but is a witch wins, then maybe she can make all of our national debt disappear. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

old_aussie wrote: »
    It will not happen, the US is pretty right for potatoes.
    old_aussie wrote: »
    It will not happen, the US doesn't have a shortage of potatoes.

If at first you don't succeed, give up! That's my motto.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

All in all, we at least agree that the Sindo is absolute rubbish though, right?

Advertisement