Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casual places to eat in Galway that open late?

Options
  • 24-10-2010 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

The only place I can think of is Javas that opens till really late. But lets say not that late, any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

well how late? and do you mean a cafe type place to sit in?

la salsa opens til about 1 i think not very late but decent food and seating

not many places like javas at that hour (2am+) that I know of apart from the obvious places like charcoal or smacks

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭NFH

Well I suppose Javas is the exception, so lets say normal hours but just casual places like Riordhans etc where ya dont have to book

• Registered Users Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The new crepe place opp Neactains open late. Found their stuff very greasy from there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 catz852002

Im not a fan of kebabs or turkish food, truth is im probably pretty picky, but I can appreciate good food when I see it. The salads and meat are always so fresh in Charcoal Grill. I usually just get a chicken fillet burger with cheese chips when I go there but my fiancee gets lots of different things off the menu which he swears by (and he was a chef so hes very picky!) They are open really late and food is still cooked fresh, no matter what time it is. I never even ate lettuce in my burgers cause I never liked the look of it but there, I always get it cause its fresh.
    Having said that, I prefer the charcoal grill on Mary St. to the others - somehow they cook the chicken nicer! Dont ask me how! Hope that helps! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 bikr

Don't forget Supermacs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭NFH

Lol, Charcoal Grill?!!! Ok, gonna have to be more pacific.

A place that you would take your girlfriend, that does good food, isnt too expensive but isnt a cheap hole of a place, that ya dont need to book in advance and has a nice atmosphere. ????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

I know exactly what you mean. Lots of times we're in town and looking for a bite to eat but it's after 5 so most of the 'coffee and a sandwich' type places are closed. We went to McSwiggans today - read bad stuff about their restaurant but the bar menu is grand (not just chips and stuff) and it's quiet enough for you not to be out of place with a meal surrounded by people on the beer. Monroe's is good too, lots of proper tables and serve food all night, although it can get jammes any time after 10ish on the weekend or even Tuesdays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

NFH wrote: »

Seafood?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

mikom wrote: »
    Seafood?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭japanesebanana

Good thread, I always find myself in this type of situation and I don't eat junk food. If you like pizza though Bistro Bianconi in Westside is great. But its not in town.
    Really think there's a niche in market for european type eateries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭O.P.H

McSwiggans and Monroes are good ideas, didnt think of them. They are too casual for a "date" type thing though.

Bistro Bianconi is supposed to be really good, heard its one of the best pizza places in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

A place that you would take your girlfriend, that does good food, isnt too expensive but isnt a cheap hole of a place, that ya dont need to book in advance and has a nice atmosphere. ????
    maybe somewhere like coach potatoes so?
    most of their dishes are around the €10 mark and it's a nice place to sit in with decent food

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

if its during the week you can walk in pretty much anywhere in galway without a booking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 galwaybound

Definitely lots of opportunties for these type of places. Sometimes it would be nice to go somewhere cafe style (equivalent to starbucks but not starbucks if ye know what i mean) that has nice comfy chairs and sofas that you can have tea/coffee/soft drinks/decent food/snacks that is open til about 11pm or so an alternative to pub/drinking. If I had the dosh I'd love to open a place like this. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

Buskers (cross st) does food until 11 or so, its good food and its a bit less casual than monroes. Go early in the week as its not too busy with people drinking. if you're going thurs-sat I'd go before 9.

Also the huntsman (moneenageisha cross) is a good place too, but not too sure how late they stay open.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Definitely lots of opportunties for these type of places. Sometimes it would be nice to go somewhere cafe style (equivalent to starbucks but not starbucks if ye know what i mean) that has nice comfy chairs and sofas that you can have tea/coffee/soft drinks/decent food/snacks that is open til about 11pm or so an alternative to pub/drinking. If I had the dosh I'd love to open a place like this. :D

Don't think they're opening late any more (were some nights during summer), but the cafe on Spanish Pde right beside the Claddagh Jewellery place owned by Councillor McNeillus (spelling, schmelling, you know who I mean) has that kind of vibe going on upstairs. Quite small, but made me homesick for a couple of places.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

JustMary wrote: »
    Don't think they're opening late any more (were some nights during summer), but the cafe on Spanish Pde right beside the Claddagh Jewellery place owned by Councillor McNeillus (spelling, schmelling, you know who I mean) has that kind of vibe going on upstairs. Quite small, but made me homesick for a couple of places.

Pura Vida?

You know if enough folks mentioned it to Rob (think he is still running it) then he may be game to open late a few nights. Not sure if it would be worth the hassle though. The BBQ stand runs late beside that place sometimes, not sure if he's connected to that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yup, that's the one.

Unless it got cult-ish following, I doubt that winter nights would be worth it. But they certainly did some in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Eddie Rocket's? Although they charge a ridiculous 10 or 15% service charge past midnight. It's not as if the place is swarmed with the drunkards of Galway after midnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 LisaV.

Kumars Taste Of Asia in the Spanish Arch serve food until 11:30 pm everyday.
    The food is delicious.

• Advertisement
Advertisement