Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new road back of somerville

Options
  • 24-10-2010 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

http://www.munster-express.ie/business/tramore-beach-road-row/

surprised to come across this protest in the Munster, does anyone have any more info on it, from the face of it , the road has been planned since well before the houses were even built so should the residents now try to block it.
    But is the road even required as apart from the odd summers Sunday , is there that much congestion

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its only ever busy during good weather in the summer or a Sunday/Bank Holiday. Other then that, its rather pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Thats what I thought , imagine it'll cost an awful lot and achieve such a small difference,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

The new road will be another way to access the industrial estate, and will be a more scenic route to the beach, so I don't think it's being built for any congestion reasons.

I don't know the ins and outs of the residents' situation but it sounds to me like they just don't want traffic going by their neighbourhood, not that there would ever be much traffic anyway, apart from some bank holiday weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Libby029

I just wanted to reply to this thread. I am a tenant on this estate, luckily i am only renting. But when we first moved here, we moved to this estate with the intention of buying, but as soon as we found out about this road, it automatically turned us off. We are still here, but we will be moving when this road is opened, the road is so close to houses, and yes i think houseowners have a right to oppose this road being built so close to houses. It is going to be nothing only a glorified drag strip for boy racers and not only will it access the promenade, but it will also be a new road to the industrial units in Riverstown which will mean lorries/trucks coming down a road, that is literally only feet away from certain houses.
    People did not get reduced rates for their houses when they bought them here, and now not only because of the recession, they are now loosing tens of thousands of euros trying to sell up because people have small children and are petrified about such heavy traffic coming through what is a private estate. It is quite obvious to me, that there was definitely a few brown envelopes passed around in the council when planning permission was given to build a private housing estate and then put a public road through it. My heart goes out to all the house owners on this estate who feel that they are trapped on this estate, because they can't afford to get out of here, due to either a massive industrial unit built within feet of the back of their house, or the fact there will be a public road right outside their door. And everyone knows that come the summer, people will park their cars all along this road on each side and walk into the prom, so that they won't have to pay parking discs!! It is beyond a joke, and the people in this estate have been very let down by their local councellors, and come election time no doubt they will avoid canvassing this area cause people will abuse them out of it, and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Be that as it may, surely though they knew what they were buying into. I Live up the top of the town because of a lot of reasons. I knew about this road and was one of the reasons I never moved into the estate.

• Advertisement

From what i can make out, some homeowners knew about it, but alot of homeowners had absolutely no idea about this new road when purchasing their house, i am sure it was once piece of information that wasn't included in the brochure when selling each phase. I know for example that my landlady hadn't heard a thing about it, and she lived in this house for a number of years before renting it out.

Surely anyone would do a bit more research than look at a brochure. A bit naive if you ask me. It is the most important decision you will make in a lifetime

So you think that every single person who buys a house, contacts their local council to ensure that they are not going to build a public road right through a private estate?? Do you honestly think if this information was so publically known that the property developer would have sold all of these houses?? I remember also when this housing estate was first built, it was laid out differently, and then the entrance was moved to where it is now, so obviously plans were changed after houses had been built and bought in this estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Is it required or is it just to blow the rest of a budget like our €60,000 Tramore Lilly lunmp of metal?
    Do we need another road to the prom amd entrance tothe industrial estate, genuine question

• Registered Users Posts: 43 1000midgets

to be fair,i bought a house in somerville 9 years ago so we were one of the very first to be there.we were given plans of the estate and surrounding areas and we knew back then that this road was going through.Also we knew the front entrance was only temporary and that it would be moved to where it now exists.THE ONLY thing fitzpatrick did not fufill was to put an end wall on each street so as to create a cul de sac as in 'The Strand'.............and all of my neighbours at the time were well aware of this.........i no longer live there for the last 3 years due to seperation but wanted to set the record straight,i dont know about other phases in the estate,but was definetly on the strands plans.;)

• Advertisement

Libby029 wrote: »
    So you think that every single person who buys a house, contacts their local council to ensure that they are not going to build a public road right through a private estate?? Do you honestly think if this information was so publically known that the property developer would have sold all of these houses?? I remember also when this housing estate was first built, it was laid out differently, and then the entrance was moved to where it is now, so obviously plans were changed after houses had been built and bought in this estate.

I bloody would and have done. Imagine you moved into a house and had a lovely field next to you. Ah thats nice, they'll never put a halting site in there.

Cue the horses and copper

hope not!!!!ha!anyway we were also told that this land was a wild bird sanctuary and that no other houses could be built..............but we will see!!!!!!

In fairness, it seems that road was clearly planned.

And at the moment the industrial estate is very isolated and a proper road into it could bring more business into the town

yeah,its isolated alright,it might bring more business as will be sign posted on the entrance to tramore,but i dont like the idea of people double parking it in the summer!that would wreck your head .............what the residents should really do is go after fitzpatrick to finish off the walls in the plans,would be a bit more private then,my sis lives there still and her road in the dunes is unsafe with kids.....the road were going to chip in and build a wall but the council told them they would be liable if a kid fell off and broke his leg etc.etc. so i dunno,chase fitzpatrick and hold him to the plans!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Just reading the news and saw an update on this, seems like the road won't be completely now, or at least not for another year or more.
    Roads budget cut by 10%
    By Justine Dwyer

THERE will be a 10% reduction in the roads budget this year with Waterford Co. Council providing €20.6 million in the 2011 Estimates for road transport and safety.

Director of Services Michael Quinn informed members at the Estimates Meeting last week that the level of grants for roads was not yet known. But it was assumed they would be reduced by 10 per cent except in the case of safety improvements or winter maintenance. The County Council had to raise €7.1 million from its own resources last year.

With this assumed level of funding the completion of the Riverstown Relief Road and several other schemes would have to be postponed, he said.

http://www.waterford-news.ie/news/story/?trs=mheyaukfmh&cat=news

Advertisement